Ball joints: GA/B vs GC/D

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
tandanus

Ball joints: GA/B vs GC/D

Post by tandanus »

Hi all,
What's the difference between ball joints on GA/B and GC/D. They have different part numbers (BJ116 and BJ122). I know the control arms are interchangeable (done it). Is it maybe something to do with the conical taper (into the steering arm) ?
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
davetrees

Re: Ball joints: GA/B vs GC/D

Post by davetrees »

The length of the stud is different ..... GC/GD are slightly longer. The GC/GD steering knuckle is "deeper" accordingly. Not sure about the taper.

If you put a GC/GD balljoint into a GA/GB knuckle, the strut won't bolt up to it (I found this out the hard way years ago ...... took me hours to figure out what was wrong ! :banh: )

I haven't tried it, but I suspect a GA/GB balljoint would work in a GC/GD.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Hmmmm
Thanks. I appreciate your reply.
I have a real mix-n-match: GC control arms, GH Scorp struts and steering arms. Lovells Lows. In a GA.
Just CANNOT get rid of the -ve camber :banh:
I'll start replacing things bit by bit heading back towards standard until the prob is sorted.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Pretty sure the taper's are different too. Have ran into this problem a couple of times. The A/B have the smaller and the C/D with the bigger... Thats how they ment to be anyway, with the car being 30 odd years old, and i have also done is switching bits between the models so anything could be in it, best to take the steering knuckle with you when ordering the new ones.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

GA/GB has a smaller 'stud' diameter than GC/GD - ie the tapered part.

I had a problem many years ago (long story) where we had to put a GC balljoint into a GB 'knuckle'/steering arm.

Took a long time with a file to make the arm fit - but bolted on OK from there.
This was about 1983 and we were using a genuine ball joint.

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI