Sigma ll calipers on black and geen struts

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
lance

Sigma ll calipers on black and geen struts

Post by lance »

Just doing a brake upgrade on my lancer. l noticed that the brake caliper mounts on the sigma 2 calipers can be different.
Some are thicker than others. I have a replacement cailper that will not fit (too thick) . Wont fit between the disc and the
mounting bracket . I have green struts . The replacement caliper must be off a black strut. Does that sound right ? and what
can l do ?
Thanks
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Re: Sigma ll calipers on black and geen struts

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

I have a set of GH green struts and GH sigma struts. As far as I was aware Green struts were from a Scorpion. Sigma and Scorpion run different calipers.
Reason people like Green Struts is because you can remove the mounting bracket and make up your own one to suit different calipers (normally aftermarket big brake upgrades).
I did try swapping some things around and found this to be a problem with calipers.
Also Scorpion calipers are wider apart at the bolt pattern.

If you still have both original calipers (assuming your changing one because the piston/caliper has a problem) use the original mounting bracket and put the new piston/caliper section onto the bracket. If that makes sense.

Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
lance

Post by lance »

Good idea about using the original slide but l bind it weeks ago.
The caliper that didnt fit l got of a sigma wagon. When l went back to lmlacks to check what color struts it had, it was gone. There was a sigma on the web site at pick a part . When l went down to look at the car it had black struts. looking down at caliper mount it also was thicker ( about 7mm ) . It wont fit on my green struts
Thanks Mark
lance

Post by lance »

It may be of some interest . There must be a time when thay changed from black to green . On my caliper which is the caliper that
fits my geen stut it says on the slide Sigma 2 it also has a date cast in the under slide . The date is 30/6/80. The mounting tabs
are only 10mm thick . On the caliper that dosnt fit it also has sigma 2 but dosnt has a date and is about 16mm on the tabs . The caliber is the same as the other one and pads are the same. B
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Don't forget that early model GE Sigmas also had "green" struts with the removable caliper bracket, but it used the very small calipers off the later model GE Sigmas, so a Sigma II or Sigma III caliper most likely won't fit. I found this out the hard way when upgrading the brakes on my early model 1978 GE Sigma. So I'll have to use the entire strut and LCA from the donor GN Sigma. Also to note, the late model GN Sigmas with the Sigma III calipers had leading calipers, that is, calipers were mounted towards the front of the car instead of towards the rear like on GH Sigmas.
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

lance

Post by lance »

Thanks for your info but all sorted a while back.
if only l had those sigma 2 callipers that Dan had in his pics, they would have solved my problem.
Had to machine a calliper the thicker sigma 2 slid mount to fit in between disc and the strut mounting bracket .The match the right hand strut setup.
All passed a RWC
Thanks