Minimum steering wheel size?

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Minimum steering wheel size?

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Hey guys just wondering if there is a minimum legal steering wheel size?

I have an LC lancer which has I think a 380mm steering wheel.
350mm feels like a good size, 330mm has the style I want (havent held one but dont think 20mm OD will make too much difference), but was wondering when it starts to get too small for legal reasons.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Re: Minimum steering wheel size?

Post by A112H »

From my understanding, and it has been a few years since I heard this but 13" was always considered the smallest legal size. 13" is 330.2mm
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

330mm is the minimum legal diameter in Victoria, according to the VicRoads website.

LC wheel is 375mm to the outside edges (just went out to the shed & measured the one on my Galant !) ... 355mm to inside edge. My car used to have a smaller aftermarket wheel on it (350mm outside/330mm inside, or thereabouts) & I replaced it with the LC one not just because it's identical to a Galant GS wheel but also because I found it much better to drive with. Obviously personal preference & comfort comes into it, but remember a smaller diameter wheel means more steering effort is required. You want to test it "on the road" before making a decision, not just sitting holding the wheel.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Well the wheel I got off you isn't to bad at all I like it is a bit harder to steer but I like it
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Yeah, it comes down to personal preference a lot. I found the rim of that wheel a little "fat" for my liking.