Brake Bias Valves

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Brake Bias Valves

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Hi guys, im looking at buying a brake bias valve for my Rally Car.

Just wanted to know what people were using and if there is a preference or if one is better than the other?
Either screw type or Lever type.

By the looks of it the only difference I can tell between them is that the lever one has 7 set notches, where as the twist one you can fine tune it more.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
BIG26L

Re: Brake Bias Valves

Post by BIG26L »

Hey Matt,

Got a wilwood lever type one here, with fittings, that is surplus to my needs. Come and get it.

Cheers,
Andrew
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Txt sent.

Cheers Matt
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Still curious....anyone have any opinions/facts on these???
Others might want to know two. (im looking to the rally/race guys)

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

im definitely curious. as will likely need one in the coming months
Insert witty one liner here -->
A112H

Post by A112H »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:Still curious....anyone have any opinions/facts on these???
Others might want to know two. (im looking to the rally/race guys)

Cheers Matt
Some might say you were Bias Curious :lol: :lol:
luke77

Post by luke77 »

The brake bias valves are designed to go into the rear brake line but will not increase rear brake bias only decrease. In rallying, more often than not you need to gain more rear braking to be able to set the car into corners (happily known as sideways!!!) The best way to achieve this is to run 2 seperate master cylinders of same size (roughly 3/4" or 1" depending on brake set up) and then running a balance bar. What you end up with is a rod off the brake pedal that goes onto a threaded bar that joins the 2 master cylinders. The thread is then turned by an adjuster which shifts the brake pedal rod further to one cylinder more than the other, in turn, varying bias. From my understanding with the Bias Valve will only allow reduction in rear brakes, not an increase............. Please correct me if I am wrong, but nearly all rally cars run the 2 M/C balance bar set up.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:Hi guys, im looking at buying a brake bias valve for my Rally Car.
What are you trying to achieve??
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Brakes going on the rear are bigger than the ones on the front. Just want to tone down the braking a little in the rear so its not too rear happy.
Sigma fronts, R31 rears, LC master cylinder and booster.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Mmm, been a while since this thread was active.........but perhaps have a look at the pedalbox kit sold by Revolution Racegear (and loads of other motorsport retailers no doubt...).
This is the main component http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/in ... imary&CDO= and obviously twin master cylinders required with mods to the existing galant pedalbox/firewall. Took a full weekend to do ours but definitely worthwhile - infinitely adjustable.
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows.....
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have seen quite a few wilwood adjusters online to work with these balance bars but I would want something less elaborate.
I am also concerned that my rear brakes will be better than my front so have been looking into bias controllers and found these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WILWOOD-BRAK ... 2a13aeb38c

I am pretty sure this could be mounted directly in the rear feed line and mounted near the centre consol or something.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Yep, they are a pretty easy mod. Either mounted next to the handbrake or just in front/below the drivers seat on the trans tunnel so it's out of sight a little. Easy enough to fit with a basic pipe flaring toolkit (Total/All-Tools) and a new length of brake line to fit from the unit to the flex hose on the diff. Pedalboxes are really the best option but for a road car these work just fine (and certainly a lot cheaper.....).
Cheers, S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows.....
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

I'm replacing the stock brake setup with individual master cylinders, partially because of space during my DOHC g63 swap in the Coupe and now with my Hilux rear I had a feeling I would need to redo my brakes anyway. I have to convert my clutch pedal to hydraulic as it is, so just getting one of the Wilwood Pedal Assemblies will work out in the end.

Dual master setup inside of a '72 Colt Galant
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion