Koni Adjustables for Starion Struts

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
turbogj260

Koni Adjustables for Starion Struts

Post by turbogj260 »

OK, So does anyone know of any Koni Shock inserts that will fit the Starion strut assembly? I went on austarion.com but seems like no one likes to help out a noob. I red that cheater said Carmira struts fit and are more suited to the strut ( weight of the car ) than say Commodore struts witch do fit once you shave the nib off at the end. Does anyone know of any other shocks that fit?
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Koni Adjustables for Starion Struts

Post by astronturbo77 »

i have camira inserts in some sigma struts, the tube needs cutting down approx 40mm and rewelding. koni no longer make camira adjustable inserts..
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

jusy a Question....could you put a spacer in with a camira strut....to avoid welding strut tube...is camira strut shorter stroke??
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

ok so whats the difference in height with a sigma and a starion strut insert? Got a quote on a front pair of yellow koni's to suit sigma struts for $525... Only thing is i need to cut 8mm off the bottom of the strut to make them fit... Is the starion strut tube longer or shorter?
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

turbogj260 wrote:ok so whats the difference in height with a sigma and a starion strut insert? Got a quote on a front pair of yellow koni's to suit sigma struts for $525... Only thing is i need to cut 8mm off the bottom of the strut to make them fit... Is the starion strut tube longer or shorter?
so if thats true..cutting 8mm off the strut...starion must be 8 mmm shorter???
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

well the thing is i dont know what insert ive been quoted on it may be from a nissian for all i know. All i got told is a set of yellow adjustables to suit sigma struts are avail, just have to cut of 8mm from the bottom.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

sounds a bit scary cutting bottom of strut :wut: ...its usually pressurized cylinder??? a recessed strut nut might be available???
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

some stuts have a welded on spacer at the bottom of them that you can "cut off" so to say... But yeah i would be a bit worried about doing it 2.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

i used camira items because they are shorter and allow for decent suspension travel, with the car at the height i want. if i used standard sigma inserts at the hieght i want there would be hardly any travel before it hit the bump stops.

The camira gland nut is the same diameter and thread as the sigma so screws straight in once the tueb has been rewelded. this may not be for you if your car is stock height.
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

humm im pretty much stuffed then. Car has a set of lowered king springs in it.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

so what do you want out of koni inserts? better bump and rebound dampening? or just stiffer springs with different spring rates?
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

yeah want to take it to the track and start looking at getting the suspension set up to the way i like it. Def looking at getting the rebound settings better than what these "pedders comfort gas" struts provide...
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

best bet is to find some similar dimention inserts that are adjustable and modify the strut tubes to fit them accordingly.
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

have to pull a strut out and measure it i guess...
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

'apparently' commodore inserts fit, but i think its more talk that fact personlly. but on another note, im sure adjustable inserts would be available for commodore?
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

they do, the only thing is that u have to shave the nib off the bottom to make them fit. Only thing is commodore ones arnt valved to suit the weight of the starion.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

very true about the weight. have you looked intot the group buy of the starion coilovers on the staz site? are you putting starion struts in a sigma? or do you have a starion like me?
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

have them in my GJ at the moment. Did a bit more research, apprently koni shocks from a MR2 fit the front as well part number 8641-1221. gotta still confirm 100%
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

mr2's have the engine mounted in the rear, and are a lighter car than a sigma...
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

think its the same shock for front and rear on a MR2
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I've got commodore adjustable bilstein inserts in GH sigma stuts with coilovers in my lancer.They were in the car when I bought it so dont know about the fitment issues.
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

alright well ive bit the bullet and bought a set of koni 8461-1142's witch are the rear inserts for toyota MR2. Def need some customization to get them to fit. Ill prob post up what ill do to them c how things go.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

I know the post is a little old now,
But i have some Koni 8611 double adjustable race inserts, (also available as 8610 single adjust) there generic, not for any particular car,
These Koni 8611 Series double adjustable strut inserts are universal strut inserts that can be used in many different applications. Originally designed for European touring car classes utilizing strut suspensions, the 8611 inserts have become an affordable, double-adjustable option for club racers and autocrossers in North America. This series features twin-tube hydraulics that are externally adjustable in both rebound and compression damping. The compression adjuster is located in the bottom end of the strut cartridge; a 1/2 in. diameter hole must be made in the bottom of the strut housing to access the adjuster.
$700 each in australia, but you can get them from summit racing for 300 us each. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... toview=SKU
or $199 for the same strut in single adjust.http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... toview=SKU They come in 3 diferent body lengths and travels, I got the shortest body so i could cut the struds as low as i wanted and just use a spacer underneath to get them setup. Seems the longer option would work out about perfect with no spacer.
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

ok so the 1142's were the go. got them from some random US site took ages to get here but ended up being $500 so :thumpsup:

so what needed to be done was the tops had to be machined out do the strut was held in the strut tube central, but 1st to spin them up in the lathe i had to machine top first to put them in lathe chuck...

then the inside of the tops...

i didnt take a photo of the spacer i made for the bottom of the strut tubes but it was made from 4mm thick 35mm o/d galve pipe.

Sits in the tubes perfect just havent track tested yet.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT