Monroe Shocks and Struts - Galant, Lancer, Sigma, Scorpion

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
shuggy

Monroe Shocks and Struts - Galant, Lancer, Sigma, Scorpion

Post by shuggy »

thought this might be usefull

cheers
Attachments
MONROE galant sigma lancer.jpg
MONROE galant sigma lancer.jpg (154.26 KiB) Viewed 9001 times
Torana68

Re: Monroe Shocks and Struts - Galant, Lancer, Sigma, Scorpion

Post by Torana68 »

... maybe not usefull if none of it is available anymore? most of this stuff is out of production last time I asked, or has the situation changed? (not that I want std shocks though)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

I found it useful to know that Galant inserts (27-3937) are the same as Scorp ones and GE Sigma ones but different from GH Sigma ones (27-3646). Howerever, they cant be TOO different because GEs can use either :wut:
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

GE's use either depending on if the car had a saturn or astron i think - different weight ;)
but sorta doesnt make sence coz GH still came with saturn didnt it :think:
yeah im pretty sure they still available, this came off the site last night, just cut n paste all together
thought cound be usefull to see which are interchangeable
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Strut inserts & shocks for Galant/Lancer/etc are still readily available from a number of suppliers.

As an example, I bought KYB Excel-G gas for my Galant last year ...
- strut insert = part #365004
- rear shock = part #343060

Bilstein & Pedders inserts are also available.

I think the GE Sigma uses a couple of different diameter &/or length strut tubes ? One takes the same as Galant/Lancer, the other is different. I think GH (or at least some) are a larger diameter tube.

You can never 100% rely on the catalogue listings from suppliers though ... a phone call to a reliable supplier is always worthwhile.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

anyone have any other part listings to add? from any supplier?
we can make it a god suspension topic with nolathane etc
il add nolathane later
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

... maybe stick with what interchanges with what, or part numbers for what fits what if its not a standard listed part (ie Dave's Galant shocks probaly arnt listed as Galant shocks, are they Dave?)there are a lot of shock makers and lots of different numbers wont help a lot, would be nice to know if there are HD ones not just stock heavier springs have to have shocks to suit.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:Dave's Galant shocks probaly arnt listed as Galant shocks, are they Dave?
Yep. Rear shocks are listed as wagon, but they fit.

I have found that many catalogues don't list strut inserts for GA/GB, but list GC/GD or LC Lancer/Celeste (which fit).

"Heavy duty" doesn't mean much really. If you are running custom springs you probably ideally want custom valving, but any gas insert will be stiffer than the original wetlegs anyway.

The shock lengths & travel are in the factory workshop manual. If a suspension supplier isn't willing to take the time to help you find something that will work, then IMHO they aren't worth dealing with ... but expect to pay for good service ! rears especially should be easy to find something that fits.

The other option for stuts of course is to get some wetlegs custom valved, which will probably be better than off-the-shelf replacement gas inserts. Plenty of places that will do this, but again you get what you pay for.

FWIW, according to various catalogues (I haven't confirmed these though) :
Bilstein Front P30-0088 (listed as "Galant 77-80" = Sigma ?, also Lancer Celeste)
Pedders Front 8701 or 9701
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

I have found that many catalogues don't list strut inserts for GA/GB, but list GC/GD or LC Lancer/Celeste (which fit).
thats an issue which is why I suggested the "what fits what" rather than posting up cattledogs.

"Heavy duty" doesn't mean much really. If you are running custom springs you probably ideally want custom valving, but any gas insert will be stiffer than the original wetlegs anyway

wasnt always that way, you could get shocks off the shelf from K-Mac and Selby that matched the springs they sold, they might still, also KYB and Tokico sold rally gas shocks that were close enough to the safari springs sold for Lancer and Galant, with the limited market for old cars thats probably not worth it for them now but they should have the specs and might be able to make more as a cheaper alternative to the awesome Bilsteins (heavy duty if available is a cheaper oprtion if you have HD springs, wouldnt be many on here who'll fork out for custom valved shocks!)

The shock lengths & travel are in the factory workshop manual.

geez you dont expect people to go out and buy a manual and read it do you?. :\ I cant recommend anyone on here fitting any old thing as it effects handling and without the required knowledge it could be nasty. So as you said go to a specalist and let them sort something out, and I dont mean the 16 yo at Super Crap, most suspension shops will look at you funny if you ask about valving specs for shocks so you will probably have to shop around a bit

The other option for stuts of course is to get some wetlegs custom valved.
fill them with GTX..... (NOT REALLY RECOMMENDED BUT VERY COMMON IN THE 70'S EARLY 80'S)
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Torana68 wrote:thats an issue which is why I suggested the "what fits what" rather than posting up cattledogs.
i agree, thought this could b the start of a thread like it. get some info from all around, and then tidy up the thread and keep it as a sticky that actually has use. i know anyone can go and look at the catalogue but a place where all of the brands etc are in one spot to save a lot of time.
anyone like to post what struts they have in their cars and the experience of the ride?

ie sensatrac monroes give what sort of ride? etc
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

shuggy wrote: ie sensatrac monroes give what sort of ride? etc
Any off the shelf Monroe shock is basically crap (IMHO)
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:fill them with GTX..... (NOT REALLY RECOMMENDED BUT VERY COMMON IN THE 70'S EARLY 80'S)
Why not recommended? It works fine. A guy I used to navigate for had a set of genuine works struts in his Lancer & he recoed them by filling with GTX, and they were great. Motorbike shock oil is a good solution for wetlegs too, as long as the pistons/valves are still in good nick. The trick is to get the quantity exactly right !

(The key to good suspension is in the valving of course ... gas struts are no "stiffer" than oil if they both have the same valving).

For road use, I reckon the KYBs like I have would be fine, and a significant upgrade from stock. At $200 for the pair I reckon they are good value. They are a little too soft for rally use, but are only a short term solution until I get around to getting the custom wetlegs that came with the car rebuilt (one of them has gone soggy in a big way).
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:
shuggy wrote: ie sensatrac monroes give what sort of ride? etc
Any off the shelf Monroe shock is basically crap (IMHO)
I had sensatracs in my old VK Commodore, They made the car. My Bro-in-law hads all pedders suspension in his VH, and by comparison it rides poorly IMO.
I've never had them in anything else though...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

75wagon wrote:I had sensatracs in my old VK Commodore, They made the car.
I guess when comparing them to the stock suspension of that era that could well be true ...... but in my experience (I had them in a couple of different cars years ago) they were no comparison to GOOD dampers, and they didn't last very well before going soft.

I accept that they might well suit some cars better than others though ... Like I said, it's just my opinion !
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

can someone tell me more about these wet legs?
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

its when you get pulled over and they find your stash.....
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

shuggy wrote:can someone tell me more about these wet legs?
"wet leg" struts are what the stock ones are ..... there is no insert in the strut. The strut body contains oil, the shaft has the valves/pistons on it.

You can of course get the valving & the oil quantity/viscosity altered/custom built to whatever spec you want, in a standard strut body.

(Don't forget that the inert gas in gas struts/inserts/shocks has no influence whatsover on the actual damping rate - it is only there to stop the oil foaming).
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

davetrees wrote:
shuggy wrote:can someone tell me more about these wet legs?
(Don't forget that the inert gas in gas struts/inserts/shocks has no influence whatsover on the actual damping rate - it is only there to stop the oil foaming).
gas is a wank on a street car but no one wants non gas cause its soooo not in fashion :| your not going to get foamy oil driving to Maccas, rally cars however NEED gas pressurised shocks , you probably cant get non gas anymore anyway other than Koni
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:rally cars however NEED gas pressurised shocks , you probably cant get non gas anymore anyway other than Koni
Although Koni make some really good suspension for rally use ... go figure ! The original works struts for the Lancers weren't gas pressurised either - just good design in a fairly light car I guess.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

lots of rayllys have been run and won without gas but I wouldnt try it today unless there was no other choice :D , Lancer works struts are KYB gas sealed units. Galant ones were hydraulic front and gas or hydauilc rear
MATNES

Post by MATNES »

davetrees wrote: Any off the shelf Monroe shock is basically crap (IMHO)
very true dave, i had a 2 sets go through my old corolla rally car, one set got about 50k's and the other about 15k's

i have found Koni's to be much better.

MATT
llgc

Post by llgc »

Torana68 wrote:... maybe not usefull if none of it is available anymore? most of this stuff is out of production last time I asked, or has the situation changed? (not that I want std shocks though)
The Monroe listing for GC rear is at least still current, went to Repco today and they had them on the shelf.
Mine is only a grandad car so they'll be good enough for me!
Cheers,
Mike
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

need suggestions on what shocks to get for my gk sigma, front + rear :) sedan btw!
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
northsigma

Re: Monroe Shocks and Struts - Galant, Lancer, Sigma, Scorpi

Post by northsigma »

Hi Guys, are the front struts on a Gk sigma and Gk scorpion different??? im having clearance issues with tyres i purchased ... they came off a scorpion and fitted fine, but on my sigma have to run spacers??? does anyone have any solutions or suggestions...Thanks.