R31 front struts on a Sigma

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Cottees
Admin

R31 front struts on a Sigma

Post by Cottees »

I am not sure if anyone has tried putting R31 struts on a Sigma. Curiosity got the better of me when I was at U-Pull-It yesterday. it looks like the steering arm from the Sigma will bolt up to a R31 strut with a small modification. Either the sleeves on the Sigma steering arm will have to be taken out or cut, or the R31 strut holes have to be drilled out to fit the sleeves.

The R31 rotors are a couple mm smaller in diameter than the Sigma, but the R31 rotors are vented and thicker. After doing some research last night, the R31 GTS rotors are larger than the standard R31 rotors, vented and just as thick. From what I can tell, the GTS struts are similar to the standard struts, so it might be around as easy to install them. Both the Sigma and R31 bolt spacing from the steering arm to the struts are identical, even the thread is the same. The Sigma steering arm is thicker than the R31, and the bolts are also longer, so the Sigma bolts would be needed. It might not be a huge upgrade to the standard R31 rotors, but if the GTS are the same, then it might be a good choice for an upgrade. I am not sure about the GTS version, but the standard version struts might be easier to source than Starion struts.

As for the strut top mounts, the R31 is 3 bolt, IIRC GE and GH are 3 bolt and GJ-GN are 4 bolt. I have not done the measurements yet, but it might be possible to use Sigma GJ-GN strut mounts on the R31 struts to make them fit. The height of the R31 struts are close to that of the Sigma struts. For the GH and maybe the GE, The R31's steering arm might bolt to the ball joint on the control arm.

GN steering arm bolted to a R31 strut

GN steering arm and control arm

GH steering arm and control arm

R31 strut assembly
Last edited by Cottees on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
larace

Re: R31 front struts on a Sigma

Post by larace »

so how did the tie rod ends match up ,close or never :?:

i think the "datsun "springs are a bigger diameter ,so they would have to have the lower spring perch modded :?

good tip though
keep trying, it WILL break !!!!!!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Since I'd be using the steering arm/knuckle arm from the Sigma, the tie rod end would line up perfectly. If the strut mount is changed over for a Sigma strut mount, the Sigma springs would fit at the top, but an adapter would need to be made for the lower seat for the springs. Either that or mod the seat to be smaller. I am going to try and source a GTS version of the struts after I fix my daily driver, and get measurements etc. to see if they'll fit too.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Another option for the top of the struts is to re-drill the top of the strut tower to allow the strut to bolt straight in. It would also allow for an upgrade path to after market coil overs.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

This website is selling bolt in Coilovers for R31s, and could be suitable for installing into a Sigma.

http://www.customgarage.com.au/products.html

turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Don't know if the r31 lower arm's are the same - but the s13/s14 arm's fit - just remove the bush - press in a sigma bush - same size in the arm's.

As for the strut tops - K-mac can make any top PDC with any bearing ID for the shock.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

You could use the lower arm, ball joint and the steering arm from the Sigma, and the strut from the R31. If the S13 arm, ball joint and strut all fit, it would be easier to get coil overs for the S13.

I think the S13 is 4 stud, S15 is 5 stud. I personally would like to stay 4 stud to use Sigma mags to try and keep things stock-looking. I think the hubs from the R31, R13/R14 are all interchangeable.

Here is some pics for S13/S14

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The ball joint on the Sigma control arm might also bolt to the S13 Knuckle Spindle.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Cottees wrote:The ball joint on the Sigma control arm might also bolt to the S13 Knuckle Spindle.
nope - the sigma ball joint is to thin.

s13 spindle with sigma ball joint. - http://www.walkercorp.ath.cx/brakes/IMAGE_00045.jpg
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

I have some r31 knowledge. And i know that R31 struts suck. Thats why you put z31 struts in R31's.
http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?topic=12150.0

274mm vented disc with big ass single piston calliper.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

c
Last edited by DanTurboLancer on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Hey Cottees, good on you for thinking outside the square man!!

im always trying to think about wild ideas for making stuff better and to make it work!

Man not to knock your ideas, but at the end of the day, you have to change a fair bit of stuff around to put in stock R31 shocks. 25 year old technology.

Sure better than what you have, but nothing outstanding.

You would possibly be better to spend the money (I know it seems like alot at the time but better off down the track) on some brand name adjustable coil overs.

They will suit your vehicle and be made by a company that has invested money and time in researching bounce, rebound, travel and Geometry for your particular vehicle rather than trying to make something work that wasnt mean for your car...

And there are plenty of brake companies that are making Brake setups better than facotry that would fit up...

man dont take it as im bagging you or your ideas.
Like i said, love the fact you are thinking outside the box,
but sometimes its just not worth the headache

Let us konw if you try it !!!
Sideshow

Post by Sideshow »

if the r31 stuff works then s14 will, my mate just put s14 coilovers all round in his r31 wagon, straight over swap in the front end.
Insert Philosophical Self Awareness Statement Here

'74 LA 2Dr Lancer (The Racer)
'05 SSZ Ute (The Street/Tow Car)

Its hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

s13 do, there in the GH - the GK is getting s14 5 stud
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

wait hangon im xcited r u telling me i can put s13 gear straight into my gh? if this is true there is alot more options for brake upgrades n suspension combos than i first imagined if s13 gear will fit that means so will all s14/15 which means 5 stud conversions also r32/33 which also means 5 stud every drifter i kno wif a s13 has done done the 5 stud upgrade if i can 5 stud upgrade the rear then il look into putting a nissan lsd from a r32/33 or s14/15 then 5 studs rear n awesome handling plz tell me this is tru cos then the only thing stopping me from wanting to drift my scorpion has jus been resolved wich would mean my budget has jus quadrupled as i have no need to build a track only car :)

i was orignally planning to drift the scorp but decided against it due to the lack of decent suspension upgrades
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

SpEc_OpS, maybe you would be better off just buying a r33 and be done with it. You will save a fist load of dollars and the downtime to carry out all of the mods you are throwing around. ;)

And you will probably never get the car registered in any state in Australia.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Sigmaproject wrote:SpEc_OpS, maybe you would be better off just buying a r33 and be done with it. You will save a fist load of dollars and the downtime to carry out all of the mods you are throwing around. ;)
Wheres the faith sigma the whole point of doing this car is to have sumfin diff
Sigmaproject wrote:And you will probably never get the car registered in any state in Australia.
cars already registered my mechanic will pass it only thing thats really gonna look outa place might be the turbo but every cop i get pulled over by has no clue wats going on twice they wrote me a ticket when i was driving a v6 commodore for having a prohibited vehicle (yes im a p plater) cos it sounded like a v8

stealth

Post by stealth »

yeah wait till you get defected and thay tow you sh-ta away :cry:
your left standing with you keys and a biss ar-s fine :o
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Andy

Post by Andy »

SpEc_OpS wrote:wait hangon im xcited r u telling me i can put s13 gear straight into my gh?
Can someone please confirm??? If so, I'm all giggidy thinking about it as I can get a set of S13 coilovers dirt cheap.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Correct me if im wrong guys but this is what i made of all the answers i got in my research.

YES lol but its not a straight bolt in u need to put the sigma tops and cut sumfin? i dunno but its not hard to do apparantly best person to ask is turbosigma hes done it just pm him.

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

You can put R31 inserts into shortened Starion Struts ;)
A112H

Post by A112H »

So do S13 or 14 or 15 or R32 or 33 struts fit?? R31 are a shit strut and really would be no better that ya stock stuff anyway.
I would be very keen to know if these Nissan struts fit a GH Siggy or GC, GD Gally??
Cheers
Jason
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

karl_2ltgc wrote:I have some r31 knowledge. And i know that R31 struts suck. Thats why you put z31 struts in R31's.
http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?topic=12150.0

274mm vented disc with big ass single piston calliper.
No need for s13 stuff, z31 stuff leaves plenty of scope for brakes. Just use the nissan steering knuckle.
100mm calliper spacing means you can use nissan gtr/gtst 4 pots, i cant tell you what to do with the rotor but im sure if you follow the link you will find something.
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Z31 stuff is good, although its not as easy to find.

S13 setup would allow the use of the common aftermarket coil overs.

Any one shed more light on the s13 into GH swap? Have we discussed t on this forum before? Perfect for my yellow galant which I need to step up to 5 stud.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Just get some z31 turbo struts(or late z31), their already 5 stud, weld some coilover mount on them an away you go. I dont see the s13 stuff being all that great. Youve gotta fork out for it all, then you need to mod that stuff/buy aftermarket stuff.

Personally just adding coilover mounts to shortned sigma stuff, then doing a brake upgrade with the 5 stud conversion or use a different hub whatever is likely the cheapest way to go.

Depends what you want realy, is it just the coilovers or is it better brakes or both.

Ive got gh green legs, shortened with coilovers on custom adjustable strut tops in my galant. green legs mean that its very easy to get a different caliper on there due to the bolt on design of the caliper mount.
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

what would be the advantage of this over just puting starion struts in?
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

The ducks guts s13 coilovers with separate rebound and bump adjustment are $1600 for 4, so 2 are going to be a lot cheaper, I bought a whole s13 front end with hubs and rack for $250. Then I just choose which brakes I want, 200sx or R33. Prob $500 for the 5 stud hubs and brakes, I saw some go for $300 last week. Not sure what's involved in getting them in the sigma/galant though

Prob about the same, but with the s13 stuff, when you wear out the coilovers, you just go and buy another lot and chuck them in.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Rallyant wrote:what would be the advantage of this over just puting starion struts in?
Starion 256mm rotors, z31 is 274mm(i think). Plus bigger single piston calliper, and cos the z31 has 100mm calliper spacing you can bolt 4 pots from r33/32/300zx straight on once you get the right disc.
migs

Post by migs »

im in the process of upgrading my suspension in my sigma/galant
-up front im using
Nissan s13 arms
Nissan s13 spindle and hubs
Nissan s13 coilovers
Nissan r32 GTR 4pot calipers and rotos
-and in tho back full independent s13 lsd rear end