Mr Bishis big brake upgrade in a Galant.

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Mr Bishis big brake upgrade in a Galant.

Post by Rallyant »

Im going to do a brake upgrade, but want to see if anyone has done this in a galant?
http://www.hoonboy.com/frontsus.html
I put some Starion struts in my galant once and the rotors hit the A am meaning they would not fit, So im just wandering if this upgrade would also hit the A arm due the the wider rotors,
( same as the starion)
I moded some A arms and installed sigma ball joints to run the starion struts, But I dont want to do this again.
GLANT

Re: Mr Bishis big brake upgrade in a Galant.

Post by GLANT »

YA GO FASTER WITH NO BRAKES! :D I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS ONE THOUGH ;)
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Sorry this was the link i ment to post http://www.hoonboy.com/tmp/MrBishiBrake ... pgrade.htm

The setup used would cause the rotor to hit they A arm even sooner Rotors a little further offsett than a starion rotor, But then Mrbishi stuck 10mm spacers on ontop of that, that would put the rotors WAY into the A arm on my galant, so im guessing the starion Hub locates everything alot closer inboard than the GH sigma/scorpion struts do?

IF they would fit the galant with the 10mm spacer then I will just buy an EVO setup to install. the rotors on almost all evos are offset about the same as when using the 10mm spacer, so eliminates the need for that, and its not toooo hard to find a nice brembo brake setup off an EVO wreck.

after wasting much time on the DBA catalog over the yrs i put a little lust of posables together,

Anthony used the NSX rotors with a 36.5mm hub to back of rotor spacing, then added the 10mm spacers witch makes that 46.6mm
This should be fine in a GA-GB galant as they were diferent to the GD-GC? Didnt realize that untill i looked at the DBA site,
GA, GB ...................... 239x 46 10 8.4 67 4
GC, GD ......................229x 30 13 11.4 67 4
So a magna would make for a realy cheap GA-GB brake upgrade?
and a cordia turbo could do for the GC-GD or an L300 will even give the same size rotor as a starion (5 stud)
Skyline should also work.

But i realy like the idea of an evo brembo setup :)
The dimensions below are
...................Rotor diamiter x Hub to rear face of rotor x ....
NSX ...........................298 x 36.5 x 28 70mm hole
TM, TN, TP ................266 x45.5 x24x 69 4stud
Lancer GSR .................256 x 45 x 24 x 69 4stud
CG - CH Lancer ............256 x45 x24 x 64 4 stud
CH VR-X .................... 276 x45.5 x26x 69 5 stud
EVO I, II, III ............... 276 x45 x24 x69 4stud
EVO IV .......................294 x46 x24x 69 5stud
EVO V, VI, VII, VIII, IX ..320 43.5 32 29.8 69 5
EVO X incl MR ..............350 44 32 30 69 5

1.6i 16V VTS .............. 283 34.2 26 24 66 4
FX, SX, SFX, Tiburon .... 257 34 22 20 86 4
cordia AC Turbo ............266 34 24 22.4 86 4

GA, GB ...................... 239 46 10 8.4 67 4
GC, GD ......................229 30 13 11.4 67 4

SCORPION
GE, GH, GJ, GK, GL .......255 28 12.5 11 80 4

SIGMA
GE 1.6, 2.0, 2.6 ...........229 30 13 11.4 67 4
GH, GJ, GK, GN 1980..... 256 32.5 13 11.5 80 4

STARION
JA, JB, JD 5/82 -........... 256 36 24 22.4 80 4

L300 SF, SG, SH, SJ ......258 33.5 22 20.4 84 5

skyline R30 GTS FJ20DET..274 35.5 22 20 81 4
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Hey hoonboy, What happened to MrBishis brake upgrade page?
woops

Post by woops »

A quick google search gives this address for ya. Looks like a basic word change stopped the address going though.

http://www.hoonboy.com/tmp/MrBishiBrake ... pgrade.htm
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Guess you did a typo a year ago :)

I will have my brake setup for sale in a couple of weeks, almost completed the new setup.
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Weird, Im sure i would have done a copy and past, Anyway, at least its still there :)

Whats your new brake setup?
I cant decide what to go with! I have been looking at just running a evo 1 - 3 setup, smaller and i assume lighter, I dont think i quite need the 298mm of the NSX, Also considered getting some evo 4 brembo calipers
and rotors. Or some FTO calipers

Id still have to make new mount for the caliper as i converted my Galant struts to coilovers, I thought the extra beef in the sigma may not be needed and i save 1kg a side by using the Galant struts. not a LOT, but its all unsprung weight, plus the rotational inertia, it all adds up.
But keep me posted, I might take them anyway, Tho i need them VERY soon, need to finish this car to drive back to sydney ASAP. (dont want to stay in melb any longer than i must :)
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

The spacer is only there to clear the 15" wheels. Ditch them if you have bigger wheels or even better try and find a rotor that has the extra offset. They work pretty well I've found, but I've not been taking the car to the track.
It's not the greatest solution, but should be cheaper than the hopper-stopper kit?
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Yeah, there seems to be heaps around the 45 offset, so no need for the spacer, and a heap with the same PCD, so even if there 5stud one of the existing holes can be used for the 4 stud conversion.
But i realy want to make sure the rotor will not smash into the Galants suspension arm under full compression (or even under no compression)
The Starion rotors pushed into the A arms as I lowerd the car off the jacks, and there only 36mm offset, So im guessing / hoping the Starion struts offset the hub less than the sigma and galants etc ???
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

New setup is Nissan 4-spots, it's a little more fiddly than the commodore setup but should be worth the effort for the new car setup. The old setup will be for sale as soon I can get them off the car, which may be a week or two away.

There is nothing "wrong" with the Commodore/NSX setup. I've tracked it a few times and with decent pads it didn't even go close to fading after a 20 lap session.

There is a difference in strut offset for the two and three bolt sigma struts, the three bolts sit closer to the body. We found this out when putting GJ strutus in to a GA. It's somewhere between 5 and 10mm difference, so it should help with clearance.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Rallyant where did u get your kit from to convert your struts to coil overs?
(insert link here......)

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Anthony, did you use alloy or steel for your mounting plate? Having some discussions with my fabricator over materials.

Matt, ottomoto or something along those lines have them.
webby

Post by webby »

-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:Rallyant where did u get your kit from to convert your struts to coil overs?
Cheers Matt
I took the plunge and tried for a cheap option, Was hard to find strut diameters on the net so I just gave some 1994-1997 Mazda MX-6 setups a crack as they were pretty cheap.
At first I thought it was a wast as they were to small for my "green legs" But when i saw that the Galant legs also made for an easy brake upgrade ( removable caliper bracket ) i checked the legs diameters, and these kits fit perfect.
I had only planed on using them for the sleeves and perches, I got the rest from Datsport as there the only ones around with thrust bearings. But it turns out the springs are also probably perfect for the front at a rate roughly measured at 300lb
there only 180mm but thats plenty with the shocks travel I have.
The fronts and rears are different, so half the springs are no good, But I still have 2 sets of spare Perches and all for under $140, will see how well they last soon.
I got the Coil Springs,
Dual Locking Perches,
Aluminum Sleeves
Plastic Rings &
Spanner Wrenches, all for $138 delivered from here.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUSPENSION-COILO ... 563f064e72

Shocks I went with some Koni Race series.
I got these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KON-86111257RACE/ for $319 each, approx $700 delivered for the pair, (1/2 price! they wanted $700 EACH in Australia!!! )
If i was buying some again Id probably go with the longer 8611-1259 Race instead, I needed a 55mm spacer under the ones I got as I only cut 60mm off the galant strut, so I could put the longer ones in, and get an extra 10mm stroke. (may be better with the shorter stroke i have, But its easy to shorten the stroke if needed.)
heres there list http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... toview=SKU

Strut Tops, With thrust race,
I got from Datsport http://www.datsport.com/suspension-fron ... rings.html fir $560
I had to spin 180 deg and re-drill to fit the PCD of the Galant as well as spin the center down 1mm to fit the opening in the strut top.
Actually, I tapped a series of holes so I could have some Caster adjustment also (like cheaterparts tops)
There are cheaper options but these were the only ones I could find with thrust races in them, makes for easy steering for a pansy boy like me :)

I just used stuff I had laying around at home for the rest of the conversion, Ill take some pics on monday if you like.
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Heres how they turned out,
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Looks good. What is the length of the strut body now?

My "MrBishi Brake upgrade" is now off the car and up for sale if anyone want's to make an offer, struts not included as they have been sold.
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

Tape measure down the inside gives 340mm (needed a 50mm spacer under the shocks)
On the outside from the flange at the rear bolt hole its 362mm
What are yours?

I may end up with the NSX rotors as it turns out, unfortunately i need a smaller hole in the middle than the sigma hubs, as the PCD on the galant hubs for the rotor are smaller, So id need to mod a fresh pair :(
and it looks like I have about 15mm clearance from the stock rotor to the A arm, (need to measure more accurately to double check) But that would put the NSX rotors with 10mm spacer into the A arm,
so no way I can use any of the many rotors around the 45 offset :( I might have to run with the NSX at the std 36mm and run more offset in the wheels (plan on running around -10mm anyway. So there
will be heaps of room for the NSX setup with no spacers.
But with any luck a more accurate measuring of the rotor clearance will give me good news, then ill just run some EVO rotors and calipers.
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Mine are 385mm from the top of the shock to the bottom of the flange. I need shorter ones to work with the new setup so it looks like these shocks could be a good starting point. I'll need to make up some spacers so they don't move around in the bigger struts but that shouldn't be hard.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Rallyant wrote:Heres how they turned out,
Yeah that looks great
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

These look great. Almost seems a shame to hide them under mudguards?
Excuse my ignorance but how are the threaded parts fixed to the strut? :$
And next question, are these legal for street use?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
webby

Post by webby »

Looks like the thread is just sitting on a collar that's been welded to the strut
As for street legal, probably not. That's easy though. Cop defect, replace with standard, clear defect, replace coilovers and away you go (H)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Rallyant wrote:I put some Starion struts in my galant once and the rotors hit the A am meaning they would not fit..
Would using the complete starion strut and arm solve this problem?
The reason I ask is because I have acquired a LC lancer and I'm thinking of doing a brake and diff upgrade to it.

Cheers.
colta51

Post by colta51 »

^ u shoodnt hav that problem coz lancer arm is way diffrent to galant ones...
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
genius

Post by genius »

Im not sure ANY brake upgrade with 'spacers' in it will pass engineers. I know it won't in Victoria unless you get a real easy going shop, but if the police see them your in trouble... So if you MUST use them then have them machined the same size as the rotor so they blend in once painted black.
kodos

Post by kodos »

Just my 2 cents. the biggest problem (ok maybe not the biggest) with galant brake upgrades is the sway bar link and steering idler are in the way for mounting the calipers, so needs to be addressed also
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
genius

Post by genius »

You could go E36 M3 Style and run a bracket from the strut? There is plenty of options for bars and they are easy enough to fit or make stuff up. But if your into coil overs with higher spring rates then a bar may not do much to complement the set up.
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

genius wrote:Im not sure ANY brake upgrade with 'spacers' in it will pass engineers. I know it won't in Victoria unless you get a real easy going shop, but if the police see them your in trouble... So if you MUST use them then have them machined the same size as the rotor so they blend in once painted black.
We are not talking about wheel spacers, bolt on disc spacers are a different thing and if made properly the engineer shouldn't have a problem with them. Two engineers looked at the NSX/Commo setup and said it would be fine (the first one didn't like some of my other mods...)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

kodos wrote:Just my 2 cents. the biggest problem (ok maybe not the biggest) with galant brake upgrades is the sway bar link and steering idler are in the way for mounting the calipers, so needs to be addressed also
this is another reason to give the green struts the flick in favor for the garden variety GH sigma struts as the caliper sits high on the sigma strut
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust