1978 GE Sigma/Galant Rear brake drum question

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
camB

1978 GE Sigma/Galant Rear brake drum question

Post by camB »

Hi everyone, I'm back in the country and need to finish repairing the poor old beast.

I'm just about ready to repaint the car, and the only other thing necessary to make it roadworthy is to fix the rear brake problem (which probably lead to its demise in the first place... see below)

Problem: The rear left brake wheel cylinder is leaking - and has been for ages by the look of it. The drum is filled with brake fluid and the shoes are soaked in it too. The handbrake would have only been gripping the one, dry brake drum, hence the picture above when my wife (whose arms are not what you'd call muscular) applied the handbrake on a hill.

Question: Can I clean the drum, shoes (which have plenty of material left on them) and brake assembly with something and replace the leaking cylinder?
Superscan811

Re: 1978 GE Sigma/Galant Rear brake drum question

Post by Superscan811 »

camB wrote:Question: Can I clean the drum, shoes (which have plenty of material left on them) and brake assembly with something and replace the leaking cylinder?
Why bother cleaning the brake shoes.

Get some $2 degreaser from Super Cheap to clean the drum and general area.
AND
New Brake Shoes $20

Replace both of the rear slave cylinders.

New Rear Slave Cylinder $15.

Cheers.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've always used metho to clean brake fluid from brake shoes etc...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
camB

Post by camB »

Thanks, :)
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

I have always just pressure washed the whole shebang with the drum off, put a new wheel cylinder on for all of $10-15 and then bleed brakes and then your good to go.
camB

Post by camB »

I like this one :D
I'll try it first and move on up to more extensive replacements if necessary.

EDIT

Thanks, the metho cleaned it up nicely. New LH cylinder and they're fine now. Dunno if anyone else has the imported drums, but those springs are a bitch! :)