Sigma Scorpion GE Rotor Questions

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Jailjubic

Sigma Scorpion GE Rotor Questions

Post by Jailjubic »

I am thoroughly cleaning up my rotors before I pop them into my 77 LB, so I am going to remove the rotor hat from the rotor so I can easily clean and paint them. The hats don't really wanna come off though, any suggestions on how to do that without destroying them?

Secondly, the hats would be made of iron right, not alloy? I am soaking them in vinegar atm.. Which would be bad if they're alloy..
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Sigma Scorpion GE Rotor Questions

Post by Scorpma82 »

Not aware of that....I've always used rust remover/breakdown solutions
Built with pride, Driven in anger
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

The there are 2 main separate parts to the wheel hub assembly. The wheel hub that the bearings go into, and the brake disc rotor. The disc rotors are bolted onto the wheel hub with 4 bolts and nuts. The nuts on the inside of the disc rotor can often be covered in grease and crap so they can be hard to find before cleaning.

Once the 4 bolts are out the rotor should come off the hub, but it may need a little persuasion with a hammer if the rust is jamming it on.

It's all iron and steel so no worries with the vinegar solution.
Jailjubic

Post by Jailjubic »

Ah, by rotor hat I mean't wheel hub. I guess technically rotor hat is the incorrect term for this type of wheel assembly. Still learning terminology. I knew it had bolts, I'd already removed the bolts yesterday. The issue was they were stuck together bloody good even without those bolts. In the end I managed to pry them apart with a flathead and hammer. And thanks, good to know it's all iron and steel. They're cleaning up nice now! Thanks for the info gents.