Steering Doesn't Self-center

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Jailjubic

Steering Doesn't Self-center

Post by Jailjubic »

I recently got my tie rods, ball joints, idler arm and control arm bushing replaced followed by an alignment yesterday. I didn't replace the pitman because it was proper stuck in there, but that's another story. I have a 1977 Lancer Coupe btw and after that work was done to it, when I turn for corners and let go of the wheel, the wheels stay turned. it doesn't center back up at all when I let go.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is this something that can happen during the alignment process or is it possible that the former mechanic who did my steering parts is the culprit?
75wagon
Admin

Re: Steering Doesn't Self-center

Post by 75wagon »

I had a similar issue with my wagon.
How tight is your steering?
I had overtightened the steering box trying to remove freeplay.
Backing the adjuster off and changing the steering box oil fixed it all. Now I still have no freeplay, but I the steering now re-centres.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Jailjubic

Post by Jailjubic »

Feels tighter than before. Yeah that's what one mate said to me. Do you reckon Bob Jane would have tigthened the steering box? Changed the oil hey? I'll look into that after they loosen the steering then. Thanks mate!
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

They may have adjusted it but not changed the oil, my lancer did the exact same thing when I tightened up to remove freeplay you could turn full lock take your hands off the wheel and itd stay full lock. Changed oil and redone steering. Now its light as a feather and self centres.
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
Jailjubic

Post by Jailjubic »

Cheers mate. I went into supercheap but they had no recommended fluid for the steering box, doesn't surprise me. Any idea what I should put in it?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Workshop manual says SAE 90 gear oil.
I put 75 in mine.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers