GE disc brake conversion

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Sigmoe

GE disc brake conversion

Post by Sigmoe »

Hey guys, upgrading the brakes in my v6 ge, but ive been thinking a bit about it, putting gh scorp front struts/brakes and disc brake diff in, but I was wondering about the proportioning valves, as i don't have this part from the donor car..
I've got a suitiable master cylinder, the pbr type from later model gh's but was just wondering .if anyone who has done this conversion before can share what they did, if they changed the complete lines, or the proportioning valve can still work the same using discs/disc rather than disc/drum?

Pete
ddt

Re: GE disc brake conversion

Post by ddt »

Sigmoe wrote:ive been thinking a bit about it, putting gh scorp front struts/brakes and disc brake diff in, but I was wondering about the proportioning valves, as i don't have this part from the donor car..
i remember asking the same thing a while back.

I haven't changed mine over yet so I can't give you my personal experience -however some people said you should use proportioning valve from disc/disc vehicle if you are converting drum rear to disc rear but then someone who had actually done the conversion without changing the proportioning valve reckoned it worked fine as it is.

What i took from that is it would be OK to convert to disc and leave the old valve in there at least temporarily.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

cheers ddt, yeah seems im hearing the same thing, some people say it will be fine, others say change the valve, guess ill have to wing it and see haha!
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have put Starion ventilated discs on the front and changed the rear factory GN drums over to GK discs. I have retained the factory disc/drum master cylinder and it works perfectly. I have to do a Platetronic brake test every year for rego and the the F/R balance is spot on.