Lowering Springs

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
orangelancer

Lowering Springs

Post by orangelancer »

Hey all

I have managed to find a set of sigma/scorpion green struts for the lancer hatch. the only issue now is if I fit them the front end will sit a little higher. I did some research and it appears that king springs make some 30mm lowering springs for these struts. the other thing I have noticed is they have the same part number "KDRL-83" for several models. my question is assuming that the scorpion/sigma springs are factory, will these lower the car? Also since the same part number is listed would I be able to buy the springs off a lancer, gallant or BMW and so on?

here is a link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/King-Springs ... 2a48b8bd0e

cheers

alex
Cottees
Admin

Re: Lowering Springs

Post by Cottees »

My Lancer has GH Scorp front struts, and even with a heavier G52B in the front, it still sits a little higher than stock.

Before the engine's weight was put in, it sat even higher.

The low king springs should lower it 30mm or so. The other option is BMW E30 front stock springs. I am going to try and get a set of the BMW stockies from a wrecker/U-Pull-It and try them out. The other car that their stock springs are the same part number as the lower Lancer/Scorpion springs is a Pulsar IIRC. When doing research of them, I found that the standard springs in them are 2 different sizes, which probably wouldn't be appropriate in the Lancer.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Ok guys the lowering springs are in. I definitely need to change the shocks as the springs slip out of the strut when assembled. my other option is to tie the springs into the strut with fishing wire or something. When there is weight on the strut its fine but I am just worried they will pop out while driving.

Do you have any advice as to what shocks to run. The difference in spring height when there was no pressure on the springs was 90mm.

cheers

alex
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

any tips guys or is there nothing off the shelf. I need shorter shocks for the front so they compress onto the spring.
simon

Post by simon »

If you are using the original wet leg struts you can put a spacer in them to limit the stroke, put in 350ml of ATF and give that a try. Simon
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Thanks for the reply simon. I would much rather put in new shocks. Currently the springs sit loose in the strut assembly. I'm scared that they might pop out while I'm driving.

I need a shorter shock but can't seem to figure out anything that will work 100%

I don't care about spending money but I hate wasting it when I buy the wrong part or something doesn't fit like I was told it would.

I'd much rather put in a nice set of shocks. The struts have new pads, discs and springs. May aswell complete it.
simon

Post by simon »

I had the same problem, apparently you can use Camira strut inserts which I think are the same diameter but shorter, you would have to machine the leg to get the right length. I did think about machining top of the inserts I have to shorten the stroke, but then thought I had nothing to lose by playing around with the wet legs as you can use different oil viscosity to get the damping you want and I guess even change or adjust the valving if you want to get serious
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

is there anything off the shelf in the way of shocks that are designed for lowering springs?
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have Nissan Skyline (the Australian model from the mid 80,s) strut inserts in the struts in my Sigma. They are about 40mm shorter in the body compared to the Sigma inserts. So using them requires either a 40mm spacer to be dropped into the strut tube..or cutting 40mm out the strut below the bottom spring seat..which I did. Now the important part is that the the piston stroke is about 30mm shorter than a Sigma insert. So when the thing is jacked up it has 30mm less downward suspension travel, compared to the Sigma insert. They bolt straight into the Sigma top mount.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Decided to bite the bullet and bought a pair of Koni Adjustable.

Part Number is as follows. Heard from a few people they will fit/can be made to fit. Plus being commodore they should always be available for the future.
8641-1066 Sport
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

Turns out the Koni Yellows strut body is too tall for the actual strtus. There is a small spacer that is welded on the bottom of the shock. I am going to see about getting this removed. then they should fit. I will post photos of what I am talking about tonight.