More coilovers talk

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Rokinfreekapotamus

More coilovers talk

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

So all this coilovers talk has got me thinking, what about the rears? All these people going coilovers and I only ever hear about the fronts.
Obviously for those with leaf rears it's a bit harder, but Sigma guys what's going on in the rear? Mainly cheater I'm looking good at you, as you also Have a GE.
JimmyG

Re: More coilovers talk

Post by JimmyG »

If your going to effort of a coilover rear end you would really need to go a full 5 link rear end. A lot of work involved.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
Rokinfreekapotamus

JimmyG wrote:If your going to effort of a coilover rear end you would really need to go a full 5 link rear end. A lot of work involved.
I'm more or less just curious as to what people are running in the rear end, especially the sigma guys.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Rokinfreekapotamus wrote:So all this coilovers talk has got me thinking, what about the rears? All these people going coilovers and I only ever hear about the fronts.
Obviously for those with leaf rears it's a bit harder, but Sigma guys what's going on in the rear? Mainly cheater I'm looking good at you, as you also Have a GE.
to make the rear end work on your Ge - firstly dont put nolthane bushes in the top links thats a no no , it binds the rear up to much and wont let the rear work

next unbolt and remove the links that go between the lower links and bolt on near the diff -- these also bind the rear up
and reframe from putting a rear sway bar on

as for the springs I have some out of the rear of a cordia in my car they were lighter than the sigma springs so let the rear work far better
being slack I haven't tested there weight but it was on the to do list

I found the rear of the car was way to tight and the car wonted to step out of line a lot in high speed corners , the front was always rock solid with no under steer at all

further plans were to find out what the rear spring rates were and get some slightly softer again and fit a small ( note very light ) adjustable sway bar just to do a small amount of tuning

I hadn't got around to doing adjustable rear platforms thinking that if needed I would just shim the springs - any other small weight jacking jobs could be done on the front coil overs
cheater
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

just another point I couldn't do coil overs them selfs as the springs and shocks have to be in the std positions for IPRA class

adjustable platforms and shim s are ok as are different weight springs
cheater
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Cheaterparts....are you planning on getting ur racecar back out onto the track anytime soon????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Scorpma82 wrote:Cheaterparts....are you planning on getting ur racecar back out onto the track anytime soon????
I keep looking at it -- I have 2 bolts to undo to pull the engine out but have been finding it hard to find the time -- who's slack just wondering

I have a Sydney based car on a trailer still in my way that makes it a bit hard to move things around ( Hint Hint Scott )
I know as soon as I have room to move I have a couple of roll cages to make

And that all takes up fishing time that I find a lot cheaper than racing

and I do it rough fishing is a common lunch these days in a few places I fish

fresh caught with a sqeeze on lemon
cheater
dutzi99

Post by dutzi99 »

Can you get lower shocks for an 81 scorpion rather than putting coil overs on???
Rokinfreekapotamus

dutzi99 wrote:Can you get lower shocks for an 81 scorpion rather than putting coil overs on???
Yeah mate, not too hard to find either. I got my lowered springs for a GE sigma off eBay