lb hatch spongey brakes

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
jameslikesstuff

lb hatch spongey brakes

Post by jameslikesstuff »

Hi wondering is this the norm or do i need to have a closer look at my brakes. The brakes work quite well but require a bit of a pump to come on hard, the fluid level is fine, and with about half a pump extrathey on well, but if you just apply gentle pressure and don't pump it the pedal will go quite far before you get a response. Is this the norm? If not any suggestions?
BlueThunder

Re: lb hatch spongey brakes

Post by BlueThunder »

jameslikesstuff wrote:Hi wondering is this the norm or do i need to have a closer look at my brakes. The brakes work quite well but require a bit of a pump to come on hard, the fluid level is fine, and with about half a pump extrathey on well, but if you just apply gentle pressure and don't pump it the pedal will go quite far before you get a response. Is this the norm? If not any suggestions?
Doesn't sound normal to me. Maybe there is air or water in the system? You could try to bleed the brakes or change the brake fluid? I don't know when you last changed the brake fluid?
jameslikesstuff

Post by jameslikesstuff »

Have not bled the brakes yet, wanted to check what everyone thought before i get into it, if its regular then id leave it
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yep, bleed them james. Get a mate around to help you completely refresh the brake fluid while you're at it. Well worth the time and effort. 8-)