brake cailpers hitting tie rod end!

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
yno26galant

brake cailpers hitting tie rod end!

Post by yno26galant »

1971 ga galant
i relized when i was bleeding the brakes the cailper was stopping hard up against the tie rod end. giving me no brakes at the front.

this has recently happend. there is clearance when the brake pads have fresh meat on them. now cause there prob worn down not even 1 mm its hitting.

i have green struts and bigger brakes. i think there off a early sigma. im not to sure
is there alternatives to avoid this problem happening again.? any answers to my mine problem :blah: are muchly appreciated
geezer101

Re: brake cailpers hitting tie rod end!

Post by geezer101 »

Is this meant to be the factory brake set? It sounds like the brakes and possibly the struts have been swapped from side to side (IMO anyway). So instead of the brake calipers being forward of the stub axles, they are behind. The calipers shouldn't be able to foul on anything. This can cause all sorts of dramas if it's not dealt with.
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Gh calipers sit behind stub axle.. even on a ga they would.. that's if it's got gh brakes..
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Also ga gb calipers are fixed calipers..regardless of pad thickness location of calipers remains the same. Green struts are gh. . Some pics would be good :-)
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Not exactly the same parts, but i had the same issue using trying to fit GH Scorp struts into a GD. There was no way the caliper would clear the GD steering knuckle and tie rod end. Solution was to use the GH steering knuckle that came with the struts. These curve downwards more then the Galant ones giving clearance from the caliper.
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

yeah well the guy told me it has bigger brakes off somthing later model. i get some pics as soon as i can. yeah well the actual piston of the back of the cailper sides. beacause the piston has gone futher in to the break pad/rotor it has moved torwards the steering knuckle. pictures will explain alot! thanks for ur support guys ! :thumpsup:
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

C_Fernance wrote:Not exactly the same parts, but i had the same issue using trying to fit GH Scorp struts into a GD. There was no way the caliper would clear the GD steering knuckle and tie rod end. Solution was to use the GH steering knuckle that came with the struts. These curve downwards more then the Galant ones giving clearance from the caliper.

this sounds like the problem. i do have gd steering knuckel/arm connected to the bottom of the strut.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

As above is correct.
You need to use the steering arms that came with the struts - and grind off the lumps so they don't bind on the control arms.
Don't be surprised if you get negative camber :-(
And loose springs if you decide to go for lower ones.
Many threads here on that...
For some people here it all seems to go smoothly
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

I used gh struts/brakes (not green) with ga knuckles and it fitted perfect... upon wheel alignment camber was 1.5 degrees... not that bad really. . I used 50mm lowered springs and spaced a set of skyline inserts (25mm approx at base) as they are shorter than stock ones... passed engineers with this set up in my 4g63t ga galant. Handles well. Stops awesome!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

And I followed Pete.. Down the the part# he used.. Except brake pads. And I haven't got around to shocks yet... Now I know ;)

But I have no issues in a gb galant... Using all factory parts minus the strut, caliper and rotor. Will need to use the gh brake cable from the body to the caliper
N/A ALL THE WAY
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

:)
Works well for some....
I used GH Scorp struts and brakes (different to GH Sigma)
At full extension and full lock I had binding.
Lovells springs were not captured (ie they were loose at full extension)
I really doubt that shorter inserts, while fixing the capture problem, would have helped the camber problem, but I was so fed up with swapping things in and out, and having different ball joints pressed in and out, that I gave up.
When I get the time I will go back to standard GA disc front end.
(I don't need engineers cert for 4G32, even with all its mods :P )
I admire anyone who has made the GH to GA/GB swap work well :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
A112H

Post by A112H »

C_Fernance wrote:Not exactly the same parts, but i had the same issue using trying to fit GH Scorp struts into a GD. There was no way the caliper would clear the GD steering knuckle and tie rod end. Solution was to use the GH steering knuckle that came with the struts. These curve downwards more then the Galant ones giving clearance from the caliper.
That is really weird. My GH struts are bolted to the stock GC Galant knuckles and control arms and I have no fouling issues at all.