Starion rear end into lancer?

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
79_lancer

Starion rear end into lancer?

Post by 79_lancer »

Hi all,
Just curious if anyone has done/ tried or if it's at all possible to put a JA starion rear end ( diff, brakes, suspension etc ) into an LC lancer? I'm pretty sure they are an independent rear suspension system which would improve the handling of the lancer heaps, as well as having an LSD etc..... What are people's thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
75glnt

Re: Starion rear end into lancer?

Post by 75glnt »

Well... First up, if the staz is IRS. Then you'll need to install a cradle into the lancer to hold the diff in. Then you'll have to put strut tops in the rear to house the struts that come with the IRS diff.

Just that alone is some major mods!

If its not IRS. Then I suppose it won't be too hard. Like a hilux diff. Shorten, convert to leaf springs (or the car to coil spring), and the usual drum to disc conversion and tailshaft :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

This is a rear assembly out of a Starion. The mounts all line up and bolt to the chassis rails in the Starion, as well as the Sigmas and Scorpions. Since the Lancers are smaller than that group of cars, it probably wont fit without modification. It is possible, but not without a lot of work. Both the front and rear cross members would need to be narrowed, and would probably have to get shorter or shortened CV shafts. The rear wheel wells would also need to be modified and reinforced for the rear struts to mount to.

Something else I should add is that the JA starion diff has a 'small' diff centre. It is possible to get a LSD that'll go straight into it, but it is not easy, or cheap, to find.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

79_lancer wrote:Hi all,
Just curious if anyone has done/ tried or if it's at all possible to put a JA starion rear end ( diff, brakes, suspension etc ) into an LC lancer? I'm pretty sure they are an independent rear suspension system which would improve the handling of the lancer heaps, as well as having an LSD etc..... What are people's thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave
my thoughts are to work with what you have - the leaf rear just needs a little support some tramp bars to stop the front of the springs winding up
and a pan hard rod to keep the diff centered

trying to fit an IRS just adds a lot of weight for little to no gain to handling
cheater
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

Fair call :) cheers guys ;)
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
SIR

Post by SIR »

I 2nd cheaters point. Some of the fastest IPRA cars run a leaf rear end so they can definitely be made to work.