bolt on vented rotors?

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
IncorpoRatedX

bolt on vented rotors?

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

bear with me guys, im looking for a US imported car that I can buy rotors for, or, an australian car with parts available on ebay that has vented rotors i can bolt onto my 73 wagon as an upgrade. I'm running oversized front and rear wheels with big meaty tires, turbo 4G63, it goes a lot better than stock but doesnt stop better, i know vented wont help me stop, but it will help me dissipate heat and not ruin my $2600 work wheels with tons of brake dust.

Any help?

I looked at 83 Cordia parts, but the calipers look different and the hole spacing on the rotor is different. (104mm vs 86mm)
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
mic_77

Re: bolt on vented rotors?

Post by mic_77 »

Wilwood is an easy fit and legal in America.

Cheers Mic
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Can you help me out on any more info regarding that?
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

So, since these cars have been modded since the 70's i figured there would be a little input from you guys...

So i searched, not much of anything. What's the purpose of this forum, to ask questions and no one give any input? :P

Mic_77 came through and hit me up private message, said he's using the wilwood kit for camaro's

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-1 ... plications

I thought to myself, other kits or more budget ways of doing it should be out there, i started searching and found kits as cheap as $399 USD,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331007956638?ss ... 1423.l2649

then thought if the bearings are the same, then an off the shelf rotor should do the trick, then it's a matter of whatever caliper I want. 69 GTO uses the vented rotor in the cheaper kit.

Mic_77 said this happens on your side of the pond too, but why doesnt anyone have input on this stuff, or why can't i find it when i search? I read that Australia and NZ have issues getting their cars registered with mods like caliper adapter brackets and such, is that why no one talks about it? But i have posted numerous times in other sections looking for input and it just falls silent, is this forum not active? has it all been done so many times that people are tired of talking about it and I'm just late to the game?

I'll be going down to the local parts store to grab a rotor, then having my buddy take it to work to see if there's room to redrill it to 4 lug, I'll report back in this thread and try to document it for future generations of mitsu modders. :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Most of the time people have no idea what they are talking about.
I find there are quite a few members who will wait until someone answers and then just reword their answer and present it as their own.
Or their response is
WOW, really love your idea, please do a write up so we can all do it.
not wanting to actually achieve anything for themselves. This is why I stopped updating my stuff on here.
Also, the chat box has a lot to answer for. If you read through there you will find a lot of questions, answers and discussion that should be put on the forum and saved.

Right now in the chat box is perfect for my point
(19:29:31) GJTurbo: or gt35 and buy a t4 twin scroll housing?
(23:32:03) 84GKSIG: t4 rear housing appealing as it will bolt to a stock sigma turbo manifold
Shouldn't this be something discussed in the forum, something recorded? I bet it is something that will be asked again, many times.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

A112H you are correct

but in this instance, my guess would be that there isnt really a bolt-on vented rotor....the only one can think of is the Starion (and if the search button is used like it is always reccommended....by EVERY member, you'll see that comment has been mentioned before, probabl multiple times).......Nissan R31 rotors do bolt onto the sigma hub.....but need custom brackets to marry up a caliper....thats always the scenario 'down under'.......something has to be custom ade, fabricated, modified to suit and we sure as hell aint gonna be researching bits and pieces from American cars....too scairce and valuable to do so.....how the hell are we gonna find a '69 GTO component without sacrificing one of ur limbs?

There are bolt-on kits from Hoppers Stoppers, Cebco brakes, Baer brakes (who actually use PBR castings)

If you want a local guy, try David Collari.....he runs a joint called Global Parts Source based in Michigan....he was a big customer of PBR in Australia

Don't say we can't help.......we certainly will IF we can!
Built with pride, Driven in anger
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Early commodore rotors bolt on just need a calliper to suit my car had this set up using the commodore callipers but I did not like how they adapted the calliper so i changed the whole set-up.

Cheers Mic
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the vast expance of water between us will prove to be difficult. Having said that don't forget that car companies are pretty scabby with making new parts.
I would say a 69 Camaro set up would be the same a HQ Monaro, XB Falcon would be the same as Mark ! Mustang and so on. Check part numbers you never know what you will find.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

The rotor in question fits the following american cars, many of these cross over to your cars with different names but im not up on all that cross over stuff.

BUICK APOLLO (1973 - 1974)
BUICK GRAN SPORT 1967
BUICK SKYLARK (1967 - 1972)
BUICK SPECIAL (1967 - 1969)
BUICK SPORTWAGON (1969 - 1972)
CHEVROLET CAMARO (1968 - 1969)
CHEVROLET CHEVELLE (1967 - 1972)
CHEVROLET CHEVY II (1967 - 1968)
CHEVROLET EL CAMINO (1969 - 1972)
CHEVROLET MALIBU 1967
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO (1970 - 1972)
CHEVROLET NOVA (1970 - 1974)
GMC SPRINT (1971 - 1972)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS (1969 - 1972)
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME (1971 - 1972)
OLDSMOBILE F85 (1969 - 1972)
OLDSMOBILE OMEGA (1973 - 1974)
OLDSMOBILE VISTA CRUISER (1969 - 1972)
PONTIAC FIREBIRD 1969
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX (1969 - 1972)
PONTIAC GTO (1969 - 1973)
PONTIAC LEMANS (1969 - 1972)
PONTIAC TEMPEST (1967 - 1970)
PONTIAC VENTURA (1971 - 1974)
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

u want us to mention the aussie comparison?
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

No, i'm just trying to help provide information for this project.

If you would like to contribute the building a wealth of good braking systems, by all means, please add your input. :thumpsup:
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

well i do have all the original catalogues from PBR Australia dating back to the 60's (which does include some USA based cars) which can include part number, specs and the like