8" wide rims????? Good or bad???

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Norri21

8" wide rims????? Good or bad???

Post by Norri21 »

I'm wanting to fit some new rims and tyres on my 78 GE Sigma Scorpion and fear that with 8" wide rims on the front it won't fit or cause steering problems.

Does anyone know what the biggest rim width is that can be fitted on average????
gareth12

Re: 8" wide rims????? Good or bad???

Post by gareth12 »

they will stick 2 or so inches out of the guards, and im guessing will rub on the guards when turning unless the guards are modified. From playing around with wheels on my sigma they cant offset much further in than stock as they hit the strut, so they can only go out
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

I run 8's on a galant and that fits. Its all about offset.
You should be fine, just need to do some measurements.
For a while I had 9's on the rear and 8.5's on the front and had no issues....
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

ddt

Post by ddt »

not sure if the GE scorpion is much different to the GE sigma, but you could get 8in rims to fit under the front of a GE sigma if the offset was spot on and you ran stretched tyres.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Norri21

Post by Norri21 »

GE Scorpion I would imagine is identical in setup to the sigma.

Do you guys have an idea of offset needed? I don't want to run spacers but if it's needed =/

The backs I know should be fine with 8's, even if to roll the guards a bit. But still
A112H

Post by A112H »

People are hung up on width. 8's will fit all around no worries at all. Offset is the killer.
I would say you should be looking a 0 to +10 for the rear and +5 to +15 for the front.
Norri21

Post by Norri21 »

I can get 4x 15x8 with 20+ offset or 4x 15x8 with 0 offset.... =/
I might get the 20 offset and roll the guards. Just makes it easier in the end, lol
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

The 0 offset would be better as they would mean that the Tim would be further away from the strut and then less chance of clashes that way...
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Have a read of this How to measure Wheel offset.

Also, here's some pics of C.Fernance's late model Scorpion with my 16x8 +10 offset Rotas on it. The images themselves are very poor, but you will get some idea of fitment (even though this is the later model).

And the same rims on my now on sold Lancer with the same rims (it has GH front struts so it's running a narrowed front track),and 77galantV6's car with 15x8 0 offset rims (running GJ front struts and rack and pinion conversion).

Again, poor image quality, but as 77galantV6 stated, it's all about offset, not the width of the rim.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers