more neg camber/toe out

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
brendon

more neg camber/toe out

Post by brendon »

Hi guys went racing (motorkhana/khanacross) on the weekend.

GK Scorpion

the car understeers alot, it was suggest to get more negative camber and a bit of toe out.
I tried playing with tyre pressure a fair bit, but it still understeers.

have people attempted to lengthen the lower control arms/ or something else fit?
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Cottees
Admin

Re: more neg camber/toe out

Post by Cottees »

I think the GK Scorpion strut tops are the same or similar to the GJ-GN Sigma ones. I have heard of people turning the strut tops 180 and that adds some negative camber.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Apparently Pedder's suspension slice the bottom of the strut, and reweld a plate into the strut....giving the car about 2-2.5mm of -ve camber
Built with pride, Driven in anger
simon

Post by simon »

Hi
search the site here,I think there was a mention of mazda 929 lower control arms fitting sigmas to get neg camber
Simon
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

brendon wrote:Hi guys went racing (motorkhana/khanacross) on the weekend.

GK Scorpion

the car understeers alot, it was suggest to get more negative camber and a bit of toe out.
I tried playing with tyre pressure a fair bit, but it still understeers.

have people attempted to lengthen the lower control arms/ or something else fit?
If it any help my sigma F/E has a few adjustments to get some ugly angles - with IPRA class cars we were not able to lenthen the control arm
however the rule let us move the inner pivot up to 45 mm
so I sloted the holes and fitted snail cam camber bolts from an early Ford Falcon - on top of that I made up some adjustable camber/caster top mounts

if you look at the pic note the front width of the track as well - wider track means less weight tranfer that makes the outside wheel keep more grip
lowering the front will also help with weight tranfer on steering

slower tracks like your M/Khana toe out makes a huge difference to turn in my Hillclimbing days I use to run 9 - 12 mm toe out
places like Phillip Island that was reduced to 3 - 4 mm toe out
cheater
brendon

Post by brendon »

Cottees wrote:I think the GK Scorpion strut tops are the same or similar to the GJ-GN Sigma ones. I have heard of people turning the strut tops 180 and that adds some negative camber.
already done.cheers
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
brendon

Post by brendon »

thanks everyone.

think I'll investigate what cheater has done, seems logical and simple enough
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
SIR

Post by SIR »

Hey cheaterparts how does your front track width compare to the rear, it is hard to tell from that pic. I have been told to try and get the front wider then the rear.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

SIR wrote:Hey cheaterparts how does your front track width compare to the rear, it is hard to tell from that pic. I have been told to try and get the front wider then the rear.
just run a tape across the track front 1770 mm and rear 1670 so yes the car is a bit fatter across the front measurements were at ground level outside to outside of tyre patch

a lot of the extra width on the front is made up from camber and I'm not sure what camber is on there atm I think is was knocked back to 2.5 deg when we moved to AO48Rs the older 32Rs use to like more camber ( from memory we use to use 3.5 deg ) there was a bit more flex in the side walls
we set up the camber by checking the tyre temps and I know we use to turn the rear outsides of the tyres blue due to over heating the outsides
one thing that I was always going to do but never got around to it was to bend the rear diff housing to try to get a deg or so of neg on the rear
it would have help with the over steer that the sigmas seam to have in higher speed corners
maybe something to do one day when I get time
cheater