4 to 5 Stud conversion spacers

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
hengagc75

4 to 5 Stud conversion spacers

Post by hengagc75 »

Has anyone used them and what do you think about them? How would I know which spacer to get to suit a 5 studded wheel ?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 4 to 5 Stud conversion spacers

Post by Scorpma82 »

i've never heard of them!!!
only way (that im aware of) to change stud pattern is to change the whole hub all together
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah they're out there mate.. It's a dodgy way of going about it. Also illegal. But what other ways is there to go about these "bolt on spacer/adapters"?? All you do it buy, say a 4x114.3-5x114.3 adapter. Bolt it onto your hub. Then bolt the rim to the adapter..

To answer you "which one do I use question". Most mag wheels have the pcd (stud pattern on the back side of a spoke). Find that. Find your pcd. And go to google. Eg. If the rim you want to bolt on is a 5x114.3, and your cars pcd is 4x114.3. Write "4x114.3-5x114.3 adapter". That should take you to where you want :)

Happy shopping. But remember. They're illegal. So to pass a roady or whatever else they're called down south (I'm in qld). Just put your stock rims on.. Do the test. Go home and bolt the new ones back on.. But it's still illegal.. :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

^I'm with 75glnt. I have seen first hand what happens when these things fail and it ain't pretty. To top it off it was a widebody converted Porsche 911 and it mutilated the poor Stuttgart screamer... Ripped apart the rear left guard, bent hell out of the studs and ruined the monstrous wide BBS wheel that was living under there :(
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

If you are going to use a spacer and/or converter, PLEASE get larger and stronger Wheel studs. The spacer WILL increase the load on the studs and if you are putting on wider rims, that will increase the load again.

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

As much as I don't like discouraging people.. This is something that should be thought long and hard about! Is it really worth the risk?? Knowing you have an accident prone vehicle.. That the failing object is a important part of how a car works. For the price of changing stud pattern and knowing its safe, is worth every cent if you MUST have those rims. On a track, well it's different. But on the street.. Straight out answer is no. Just my 2c :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Yeah I've given it a rethink and decided I'm just going to bite the bullet on this one and go the safe option by just keeping to a four stud rim. Thanks for the advice! Anyone care to tell me what they think about this wheel?

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:thumpsup:

And the wheels. I love em!! But IMHO I think these need a wicked offset and a small stretch. But either way they're pretty cool :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i like the wheel....similar to a 12 slotter......8" wide rims should look tuff as
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea isn't it a diamond 0 or something like that?
N/A ALL THE WAY
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Anyone know a place in Melbourne I can get the wheels widened?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:google: :P that's always worked for me :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
brendon

Post by brendon »

as most have said, dodgey way.

but easy enough to replace the hub assembly to 5x114.3.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=35

I've been thinking about doing this but with s14 gear, to try and get some starion widebody wheels under the sigma - piss off those nasty 17" chromes (Don't know what I was thinking). Unfortunately my limited research suggest the starion rims wont fit the s14 gear as they foul on the brake caliper, without spacers... :hit:
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Might not widen them for a while though because its pretty pricey.. They are 15x8 so hopefully it looks alright. Anyone know someone selling some SSR meshies?
ompong

Post by ompong »

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Still, it's a spacer. But! If you MUST, have spacers. Just make sure you're onto it (keep all bolts at, at least 80 foot pound). Yes, I know, "you sound like my mother". But I'd hate too see anyone in an accident because of undue care. Especially one of us.
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

ompong wrote:Any comment on this adaptors?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/4pcs-Wheel-Space ... ~60_57.JPG
The only thing I see wrong with these is the lack of a centre hub shoulder for the rim to seat up on. If you want the wheel to remain perfectly centred it needs to have a hub with that raised section around the mounting hole. This is usually the culprit when something goes wrong.