Lowering and new wheels

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
hengagc75

Lowering and new wheels

Post by hengagc75 »

Next month I'm looking to lower my gc and get some rims for it because what's currently is on it is a joke. I want to keep everything else stock. I want bigger wheels in the back but not sure on measurements, someone help me out!
75glnt

Re: Lowering and new wheels

Post by 75glnt »

Go 16x7.5 or 8 all round. Or 16x7 on the front. If you're wanting a good tyre. And have the money. There's the falken ze912. It's a directional tyre. About $120-$150 a tyre (fitted and balanced). Or there the khumo ku36. (Which I'm going for). It will cost about $100-$120 per tyre. (Again, fitted and balanced). Most tyre shops do deals on rim and tyre packages. Even if its not in a catalogue. Just ask. They more then likely will.

Just so you know. I work at bob Jane.

Also for tyre sizes. I'd go 215/50r16 on the rear. And 195/55r16 on front. Common sizes and cheaper tyres.

Hope this helps :) what rim you looking for? Also, where are you located?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It's not just that simple as this or that size wheel. You need to get you're offset right. Offset, stud pattern will determine then what rims you can buy that come in those sizes.

What sort of style rim are you looking for? That might be a good place to start.
Are you wanting big diameter or do you want wide?

77galantv6 has a set of 13x9's for sale that would look really good :thumpsup:
As long as you stay with stock brakes, they'll fit no probs too :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I was waiting to hear what style he wanted before I thought of offsets. :) I seen a set of 13x9 standard galant rims on gumtree through the week. Pretty sure it was in the nsw area?? I'd do it, only thing is a can no longer use my standard wheel trims.
N/A ALL THE WAY
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I don't mind the look of Watanabes, to be honest I also like the look of 75wagon's wheels! Maybe something similar to them.. :thumpsup:
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Something like this .. Image
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

16's are way to big for galants, i know from experience. I run 15x8 nemoto rs-8 +15 offset on my gd galant, its 2.5 inches lower all round with 195/50r15 tyres. The wheels dont rub on full lock at all, cant quite fit my fingers between the top of the wheel and guard. any bigger tyre profile and the wheels will grab the front edge of the guards so beware
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

astronturbo77 would you be able to show me a picture of what the wheels look like?
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

Cant upload them, using my phone is a pain
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 wrote:Cant upload them, using my phone is a pain
Are these the wheels you're referring too?

hengagc75 wrote:to be honest I also like the look of 75wagon's wheels! Maybe something similar to them..
My rims are Cheviot Hustlers, also sold under as Aunger brand. They are 13x6 +5 offset. With 205 60 13's on them, they do just rub on the firewall on full lock (only just) and going over speed humps too quickly, they just rub on all 4 guards on my wagon, but the back of a sedan will be fine (wagons are based on the GA/B style body which have smaller rear guards).

The ones on my wagon are just slightly different (they have a raised centre section for the centre cap) I custom made my own flat aluminium plate and made my own logo's to suit them as well.

If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

Thats them.cheers dave
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I like the third and last ones but if it came down to it I would probably go with watanabes. I'm thinking of maybe matte black or jet black on them, not so sure on just the silver look
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Sorry second last ones*
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

How does 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the back sound? No rubs on guards or anything?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

hengagc75 wrote:How does 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the back sound? No rubs on guards or anything?
What brakes/struts are you running? Just stock Galant ones?

Offset still effects everything, and then tyre sizing comes into play as well.

Here's something for you to think about. Tyres are part of the suspension. Lowering the profile of a tyre will improve the handling on nice smooth roads and decrease it on potholed or bumpy roads.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

so low profile tyres are only comfortable on a drag strip/runway then......or sitting still lol
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The tyres are actually the first component of your suspension that affects ride comfort and road handling. The purpose of low profile tyres is pretty obvious - the lower the side wall profile is, the less wall flex = improved turning response. Series 50 tyres are easy enough to live with but going for big rims and 40 profile tyres on the street is pure 'look at me' stuff (if that is your thing) but does anything but improve how your car drives. :hit:
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I am running just stock brakes and struts, not a fan of low profile treads I just don't think they would suit.. For offset I would prefer + than -
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Anyone know a good place in Melbourne that widens wheels?