4 Link conversions

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
DriveBy

4 Link conversions

Post by DriveBy »

A little help :(

I've scanned the forums, searched posts but can't see any topics on converting the Sigma, Lancer or Galant to a parallel 4 link rear suspension. I'm looking to change my 'Sigma GE to a parallel 4 link, surely someone has done this?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 4 Link conversions

Post by Scorpma82 »

hmmmmmm, probably have...but more that likely, on a purpose built drag/race car.....o it more than likely run a tube chassis, where nothing in the car is factory

i'd be inclined to look at the guys who sell/setup the 4-link rears and see if they have done a sigma...or a similar car
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yeah, it can be done - like anything else if you can throw time and money into it. For the end result though I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it. You could do an IRS set up from a Starion or a Sigma turbo 2000 if you were just as keen to cut up your ride...
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Not so keen to cut her up but more just trying to way up improving and strenthening the satchel design or putting in a stronger 4 link design to take the new engine. Tall order when trying to maintain a standard interior but nothing worth doing is easy as they say.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

If the car's main use is to be a tuff street car....stick with 'street' suspension.....just use the off the shelf parts that are more performance orientated......theres no point putting in a racing suspension setup if the car's going to be driven down the exact same roads (usually at the same speeds) than it did 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago IMO
Built with pride, Driven in anger
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

This car is sitting on a Watts Link, but it's also a full out Rally car.

I've been contemplating sizing up Corolla 4 link parts, personally I need something like a 3,4, or 5 link for the coupe and the amount of hp/torque I'll have.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It looks like a solid set up but it hasn't been painted well enough to handle the abuse. Also looks like the links aren't adjustable (should be so it can match the adjustment on the coil overs). This is a near perfect set up for track and rally but I would not recommend using rose joints on a road car...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Don't [censored] about, just buy one of these and mod as needed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-4- ... 500wt_1288
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

That setup was done around 30 yes ago though too, back when all our cars were still pretty new.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

A112H wrote:Don't [censored] about, just buy one of these and mod as needed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-4- ... 500wt_1288

That's much closer to what I was thinking and Raptors pics are very helpful. I have looked at alot of 86's changed to 4 link and in all honesty the sig frame looks like it should accomodate it even better.

Scorp' it's going to have to handle 4 times the torque than it did new so just poly bushing etc. isn't going to cut it. The breif is stock interior, shako exterior and thoroughbred under the skin. It's to be a showcase vehicle for my business not just sundays and fundays.

Keep the pics coming