Strut / shock identification help

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
techsig83

Strut / shock identification help

Post by techsig83 »

Hey guys, I need your help with this.

I'm doing some suspension work on my New Zealand built 83 Sigma, went to replace the front shocks and the ones I got don't fit (Monroe 25-3646). The insert body is too long, and diameter too small.

So I need to find out what my struts are from, so I can get the right shocks. Sticking the part number (MB109825D) into Google indicates they may be Sapporo struts. Strut tube outer diameter is 54mm. Inner diameter about 49mm. Tube depth about 390mm (to bottom of gland nut).

I'm guessing that Starion inserts might fit? Any ideas?
GB_BB4C

Re: Strut / shock identification help

Post by GB_BB4C »

I think you will need to look up Starion shocks not Sigma ones as it would be a Jap Spec Sigma.

Does the strut have Vented brake rotors?? if so will be Starion stuff you will be looking for.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

techsig83

Re: Strut / shock identification help

Post by techsig83 »

The NZ sigmas were built in NZ from parts imported from Japan. Mine is SOHC carby 4G63, solid rear axle, no vented brakes, and appears equivalent to an aussie GJ.

Starion shocks may fit, but as they are reasonably hard to come by, I'm getting a local suspension shop to find something more common to fit.