Shorter strut inserts in GH Scorp struts...?

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
tandanus

Shorter strut inserts in GH Scorp struts...?

Post by tandanus »

Hi all,
Simple question - which inserts do I use to capture GA Lovells Lows in GH Scorp struts? Lovells springs for GA is CFS-2; for the GH its CFS-3. I think the only difference is the poundage rate - the free height and spring outside diameter are the same as far as know. There's about 1 cm free play.
Ive heard that maybe Camira inserts with spacers under them or some model of Commodore inserts will do it, but Ive never actually heard from anyone who has done it.
Thanks in advance
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
A57C

Re: Shorter strut inserts in GH Scorp struts...?

Post by A57C »

sorry i posted then realised i misread your question :z
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

its going to effect your strut travel height but take out the inserts and get them shortened in a lathe (remachining the thread and step on the ram)
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Commodore inserts drop into GH tubes, apparently ..... just need a small spacer (eg. a couple of 20c pieces) underneath.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

tandanus wrote: Ive heard that maybe Camira inserts with spacers under them or some model of Commodore inserts will do it, but Ive never actually heard from anyone who has done it.
Thanks in advance
T.
the camira insert is quite a bit shorter in both over all lenth and body lenth
I use them and shorted the strut tubes about 40 mm from memory ( running in my sigma )
the car is quite low and has small dia springs

but if you only need to shorten 10 mm why not just machine the tops of your inserts
its easy enough the crome bar is not a hard material to machine
cheater
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

8610-1263SPORT
Koni part number for camira inserts....
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

davetrees wrote:Commodore inserts drop into GH tubes, apparently ..... just need a small spacer (eg. a couple of 20c pieces) underneath.
a few of the guys who rally lancers do this because you can get Billstein's for commodore's (VN I think) and yea just need a small spacer......wouldnt go 20c pieces ide get someone to make up a propper spacer on a lathe for it.
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

VB-VP Commodores use the same struts, the shocks go straight in. Got two sets of GH struts, one with Commo bilstein's and the other with Audi Koni's which are shorter and required the strut be cut down by about 40mm from memory.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:wouldnt go 20c pieces ide get someone to make up a propper spacer on a lathe for it.
Why ? A spacer is a spacer is a spacer .....

.... and 20c pieces are probably cheaper than thick washers ! :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so my GH struts have been made into coil overs. I think they are stock height. If I use stock VB-VP inserts how will they sit in the GC???
Will it be heigher than normal, the same or lower???
I understand the height is adjustable by winding the spring up and down, also spring height matters but i want to know difference between stock GC strut and a GH strut with VB-P insert???
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

If you are talking ride height I dont think it will make any difference at all - that will depend on the springs you choose.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

It will depend on the springs, however u will notice that u feel bumps a lot more because the shocks are designed for a Commodore that weighs almost twice what our little Galants weigh......but it also means u can hit speed bumps faster and next to nothing happens, so if u ever need to race a fully lowered Skyline or WRX make sure u pick a bumpy route or one with speed bumps lol.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Post by A112H »

LOL, that's good advise Matt, cheers.
Just a heads up for those looking to use Commonwhore inserts, if you are not buying new make sure you get the screw in caps too. Mine were new so they came with them but I noticed the GH insert is a smaller diameter and the stock locking/screw in nut wont fit. Everything else fits perfectly, now I just need some 60mm springs. I shouldn't need to go lower than stock on the spring height as I have about 3 inches I can wind it down anyway.

PS I bought the monroes off ebay linked above.