steering rack conversions

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
boogernissan

steering rack conversions

Post by boogernissan »

is there any model that came out with rack and pinion and is it ppossiable to convert my 86 gn wagon to rack and pinion,i dont think the steering box setup is going to be good with high hp
Torana68

Re: steering rack conversions

Post by Torana68 »

um whats HP got to do with steering? I don't recall anyone having issues other than old age. :D
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
boogernissan

Post by boogernissan »

after watchin a vid of a sigma with a v8 in it and the steering let go with doin donuts,made me think a bit,plus the less links the more responsive the steering
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

ah ha , probably no maintenance , what broke? there is no "weight" on any steering components and there are a few 302 Sigmas in Sydney without racks..... unless your going circuit racing and your up for spending $$$$$ forget it
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
boogernissan

Post by boogernissan »

no circuit racing for me!!

maybe the occasional drift day,might just have to invest in full nolothane front end or sumthin
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I should think that it would have been done, somewhere :think: If there is room for steering arms/pitman arms and connecting rods, then there should be room for a steering rack. They dont require much space.

I had an Audi rack and pinion put into my daughters VW many moons ago. Mainly because VW steering parts were so freakin expensive.

There should be plenty of racks laying around wrecking yards. Give one a trial fit. (and report back) :D
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Sigmaproject wrote:If there is room for steering arms/pitman arms and connecting rods, then there should be room for a steering rack. They dont require much space.
Its true :)

In the process of working out a rack for the GD at the moment; I'm sick of the sloppy feel you get from the standard set up.
Anyway, haven't said anything about it because with no real spare time i haven't got to it yet.
But... have a look at the steering racks from the CE lancer's & mirage's. the main body is very short, will easily fit, and the over all length is so close in a galant it would probably almost be right for a later model sigma (can't remember exact measurements, can find out if your keen).
The other bonus, if you look around in some of the base model Mirage's they came with no power steering! which means no hoses, no oil pump etc. too easy!
Also, the location & angle of the steering take off is pretty spot on (unless you have had extractors made up :lol: damn it lol)

Can't wait till i have some spare time, really looking forward to putting it in (all the bits are there, just the time :think: too bad you can't buy extra daylight hours lol)

Anyway, just thought you might like to hear that.
Good luck with it.
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

.... get it right or bump steer will destroy your handling (dangerous even), any old rack wont do , for a Gal or lancer you will need to shorten it unless you find something that no one else has been able to find in the last 30 odd years , as I said if your happy spending $$$$ and getting it engineered, go for it but there isnt much to gain over a correctly adjusted not worn out steering box.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Dont all Torana's have rack and pinion??
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Sigmaproject wrote:Dont all Torana's have rack and pinion??

yep correctly ftted and aligned :)
oldcolt75

Post by oldcolt75 »

2002 honda civic racks are a pefect fit .. look them up they are neat :google:
4g63 GC colt
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Sigmaproject wrote:Dont all Torana's have rack and pinion??
Even Corona's had rack & pinion!!!

Seems like Mitsubishi was one of the only company's to hold off on the idea :@
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.