weld on coilover sleeves

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
clifford

Re: weld on coilover sleeves

Post by clifford »

Hey cheetah are u making kits yet ? If not wat about on the hush hush ? if so how much will i be slugged im so keen on some coilys (H)
Rockin a dirty sigma coz mainstream sux :D
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Man it sure would be helpful if cheater and stealth would post info on the parts needed to build these set ups for those of us that would prefer to build them ourselves.

Anyone willing to share their secrets for what 'kits' or pieces you can find online and make these work? I've priced out all the parts around $100 to do it all, but I'd like to verify that I have the right stuff. Using AFCO sleeves and 10 inch 300 lbs springs.
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
bundo

Post by bundo »

I just thought I would throw up a photo's of mine I made today.
bundo

Post by bundo »

I hope that helps.

I bought the sleeve kits from a place in SA for $230. They are 55mm and suit a 65mm I'd spring.

I bought the springs new on gumtree for $50. They are 203mm long and 6kg.

I am using spring helpers so the springs don't come loose when the car is in the air,
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Cheater, Stealth, where ya guys at?

Was I asking too much of you to help build the knowledge of the mitsu enthusiasts?
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
stealth

Post by stealth »

Sorry i was fishing!
so what exactly do you need to know ?
how to do coilovers ?
or where you can buy parts that fit exactly ?
or what parts you can buy for next to nothing
that might do the job poorly !
or the point of only doing the fronts like most
do ,cause theres no nice answer to that one !
cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
efisig

Post by efisig »

i used the hsd 55mm sleeve kit available here in aus from otomoto. and you can get the springs in whatever spring rate you want. you just cut the spring perch off and weld on the sleeve. i also shorten my struts 70mm so i had to rethread the insert for the top cap and used a short commodore shock. dont know if you can get them in the states but im sure there are plenty that will suit.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

IncorpoRatedX wrote:Man it sure would be helpful if cheater and stealth would post info on the parts needed to build these set ups for those of us

Anyone willing to share their secrets for what 'kits' or pieces you can find online and make these work? I've priced out all the parts around $100 to do it all, but I'd like to verify that I have the right stuff. Using AFCO sleeves and 10 inch 300 lbs springs.
most is not brain surgery -- you need a couple of threaded sleeves I made them from some 50 Nb heavy pipe and turned a 60 mm 2 mm pitch thread on them - I made mine about 3 1/2 " long each side
then bored the guts out till they fitted the strut tube

for nut I just used KM12 bearing nuts and turned a small section out of them

Springs were just a 10 " x 2 1/2" springs and for my sigma 300 pound worked just fine

I used a strut insert that were for a holden camira ( Koni adjustable ) to fit these the strut tudes were cut down a bit shorter about 2 1/4 " from memory
these strut inserts were shorter in body and over all lenth so with the car lowered it still had travel and the springs stayed captive ever when the car was jacked off the ground

some aluminium caps were turned up for the top of the spring

you can more than likely buy most of the stuff off the shelf from any speed shop these days

on my car I also made adjustable top caps and fitted Ford caster bolts to the lower control arms
cheater
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

cheaterparts wrote:fitted Ford caster bolts to the lower control arms
try again camber bolts to the lower control arms
cheater
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Thanks for the info guys!