KM132 Clutch confusion

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
IncorpoRatedX

KM132 Clutch confusion

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Hi everyone.

Not sure if I posted here yet, I've lurked and searched for a while but I don't have much to contribute. Seems like most the members are located elsewhere and I'm in the middle of the US.

I bought a 73 Galant wagon from the west coast of the US and drove it 3000 miles to my home, it supposedly had a 1978 2 liter and 5 speed in it.

Right now I'm swapping a 4G63T into it, currently it has a KM132 narrow block transmission.

The confusion starts when I decided to use a 6G Galant VR4 clutch in the car. Project0G website says you can use a turbo FWD flywheel machined for a pilot bearing and turbo AWD/FWD pressure plate.

All that is taken care of.

Then they say the narrow block KM132 comes with a 20 Spline input shaft and the clutch center will need to be switched out to the Galant VR4 (or DSM or early evo) clutch disc.

However, my KM132 narrow block 5 speed has a 23 spline input shaft, my Galant VR4 clutch disc fits on without a worry.

Can anyone help me determine what transmission I have? it has the stamped steel trans pan like the might maxes do, has a 23 spline input and has the shorter of the tail housings. (i think.)

I would also like to know if anyone is aware of any trouble running the stock turbo AWD disc on this trans (offset problems or anything)

Of course, here's a picture of my current progress (wish the car was still green.)

and when I was driving it across the country with my lady.

1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
IncorpoRatedX

Re: KM132 Clutch confusion

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

for reference this is exactly what my box looks like:

well, except my clutch arm is on the other side, since I'm in the US and that tiny little tab to the left of the upper two block bolt holes that has an additional hole, isnt on my bell housing.

KM119's were all 20 spline, yes? Maybe I have a 90's narrow block might max transmission and by that time they had gone to a 23 spline input?
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

after looking into things in greater detail a gvr4 disc is 20 spline.

sometimes I really hate the internet.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

It would appear that I am blessed/cursed with a KM119

Blessed because the clutch will work without a problem, cursed because they dont hold up to power apparently.

I only plan to produce around stock horsepower, so just around 200HP, does anyone know if the KM119 will hold up if I do not drive like an ass? I've only read that the KM119 is weak, but no one has really put a power rating on it.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I personally doubt it. Take into account how old the gearbox is already (30 years plus), what engine it was originally set up for (lucky to be 1/3 the power of the the engine you're planning on using) and what the surge of torque will be like through the drivetrain when it comes onto boost. If you can get another gearbox without a problem and you don't mind replacing your existing one sometime in the next year, try it out. You could prove me wrong. BTW nice wagon you got there. I like the silver over the original lime green paint, it ties in with your wheels nicely. :thumpsup:
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Unfortunately the pressure plate of the turbo 4G63 engine didnt completely clear the bell housing of the KM119. I could shim the transmission a touch, but it's senseless to run a clutch that will hold more power than the transmission.

Currently the KM119 is in the car with a stock replacement clutch for the KM119, a very weak looking little bugger.

I need it to at least last me a month so I can get to ohio and back with it, i'll be driving delicately. Then I will search for a replacement. Likely move over to a baby 904 if I can get my hands on one. A KM132 would be fine as well, if I can find one.

I understand the theory of the age, verse what kind of power it was built for, however there's always the phrase 'they dont build things like they used to' and it may hold up to my driving, which is pretty mild. Go slow, look cool.

Thanks for the remarks on the car. I wish it was still green!

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

IncorpoRatedX wrote:Unfortunately the pressure plate of the turbo 4G63 engine didnt completely clear the bell housing of the KM119. I could shim the transmission a touch, but it's senseless to run a clutch that will hold more power than the transmission.
Currently the KM119 is in the car with a stock replacement clutch for the KM119, a very weak looking little bugger.
Shimming the bell housing will be disastrous, the input shaft on the gearbox won't seat into the bush on the crank rear and it'll cause all sorts of havoc. A stock clutch and sports pressure plate for the KM119 will be a comprimise. It should hold under regular driving but might slip enough when it's getting whipped to prevent the gearbox internals from ending up on the passenger seat. The T904 will hold up o.k. behind a stock G63BT but at the end of the day I think you'll end up regretting not sticking to the 5 speed. :oops:
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

There's a handful of KM132's within an hour of me, I'm going to get the car running, get my hands on a KM132 and hydraulic clutch parts, then see how much power the KM119 will handle and swap out a broken KM119 for the KM132 (unless the KM119 holds up, then I'll leave it.)

I'm not a gear banger and I'm not a hole shot kinda guy, but I do enjoy a good 3rd gear pull from time to time. I spent my youth on the drag strip and it's racing has kind of lost it's fun for me, I seem to enjoy more about the building of a car than the abusing of it anymore. If 200hp doesnt rip the teeth off the gears, it will likely hold up a long time.

I'll be sure to report back.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

I've been rolling with the KM119 for 8 months now.

I didnt drive it much for the winter months, but i'll be driving it again soon. It's held up well, but again, I dont drive hard, 5-7psi is the most it sees, havent really taken it to red line, probably wont. going to pick up a KM132 soon, trying to find how others have set up hydraulic clutches in these cars.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Not sure if your block is wide or narrow but if it is narrow then go looking for a box from a L200/D50 ute/truck. They are the same strong box as the 4G63 Starion/Conquest but they are narrow block and have a cable operated clutch.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

That's what I'm going to pick up but over here they're hydraulic.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hey IncorpoRatedX!

You can always try a Plymouth Arrow 5 speed gearbox, those should be cable operated KM132's with short tail housings. I think also the Plymouth Sapporo /Dodge Challenger / Dodge Colt have those gearboxes but they have the longer tail housings...
Well, the European versions of those do...

Greetz
Sven
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

The problem is the challenger/sapporos, arrows aren't exactly common in the states, good luck finding a Fire Arrow lol.

The early trucks with G52s, G63Bs, and the few Astron 1 G54s narrowblocks were cable operated KM132s. My buddy Adam is always hunting the wreckers for spares for his 77 rally lancer. The G54b trucks are cable operated too, if I recall, but you are narrowblock.

Jason, though I know you guys didn't get the widebody Starions, the '88-'99 Starion KM132s had some revisions, most notably the oil pan was changed to cast steel over the stamped versions of the 87 and older cars, in order to solve the case flex issue on higher output engine.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Guys,

I'm going hydraulic.