5 speed onto 4G32

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

5 speed onto 4G32

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Hey guys just a quick question.
I have my 1.6L, im putting a Jap 5 speed on it (not sure what its from originally), do I need to change the flywheel at all?
Thought was if its a 2L box would I need a 2L flywheel? But then again the Lancers did come out with 5 speeds in 1.6L......
Any help appreciated.

Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
lchilds82

Re: 5 speed onto 4G32

Post by lchilds82 »

dont think they share the same crank pattern, may be wrong
4GB63t
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

i think they are the same size so should be right to use the standard 4g32 one
4GB63t
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

use the search button mate
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

I know you can get two different sized flywheels for the 4g32 because i had the issue where my pressure plate wouldnt fit so i had to put a differnt flywheel on. Was a long time ago though..
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Did use the search button and found your post astronturbo77 and it was very good thankyou.
It does say there you will need a clutch and flywheel if converting from an auto, but the gearboxes come from two different motors one a 1.6L and one a 2L, does not say which flywheel is needed.
I assumed the 1.6L one would be ok as neither were mentioned, but seeing as it did not confirm this I decided to ask.

Matt
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

i have the standard 4g32 gearbox on the back of the my 2ltr 4g63 using 290mm from tooth tip to tooth tip 6 bolt flywheel, i assume that the reverse will work, but like a said the 4g32 are 5 bolt so i dont think you can use anything but
4GB63t
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I swapped the 4 speed out of my LB lancer hatch with a jap 5 and had no issues with bolting it up - except the gearbox mount is different.The 2 studs on the extension housing on the 5 speed are wider apart. It all mated up to my clutch and pressure plate perfectly. Either I was unbelievable lucky or this is a normal interchangeable swap up. If you can get your hands on a LC gearbox support mount it should be all sweet.
lancerdarryl

Post by lancerdarryl »

all you need to do as a quick fix to modify your 4 speed mount to fit the 5 speedbox is slot the holes outwards and use a big flat washer on each stud.this will keep you rolling till you get the correct mount (H)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I did that...lol! Found out about the different gearbox mount 90% of the way into installing the 5 speed (and the Lancer was the only car I owned so I wasn't going anywhere to find the right mount...) Ugly as, but it worked. :ban:
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Thanks guys....I have 3 of the mounts needed, one for my LC, one for the GC and one spare (not for sale sorry).
Will be trying this converion this weekend and will let you know about the gearbox/flywheel :)

Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

1.6L flywheel and clutch work fine with 5 speed gearbox.
didnt change cross member, simply moved back the 1 bolt hole in the floor pan and changed the gearbox rubber to suit 5 speed.
car up and running, tight 5 speed is so much better than my old 4....however I have noticed that after driving to Newcastle and back on the weekend that it did leak a bit of gearbox oil out of the shifter and over the transmission tunnel...any ideas???

Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

and did have to cut a bit out of the transmission tunnel for shifter to fit....only about 40mm or so.

Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

i also mated a 5 speed to my 4g32, and can confirm all you need to change is the gearbox mount. Although i needed to use my 4 speed selector bar thingee that mounts to clutch cable as it was modified and after 10k i lost 5th and reverse and when turning over by hand, it seized. i beleve something fell out and seized motor from flywheel end. :banh: any ideas?
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

So was driving home from a camping weekend, car had done over 100km that day and then whilst cruising along speedo stopped working :(
Has anyone had to change the speedo cable when converting to this gearbox? It seems its just a little further back than the 4 speed, might this have caused it to fail?
On the upside my Odometer doesnt go up anymore....but then again its only at 81000km (not sure how many times its been here though haha)

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Has the inner cable broken, or has it just pulled out of the back of the speedo (which might indicate that the stock one is a little short, which should be fixable with some minor re-routing or something) ?
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Whole cable looks to be intact and it was a little tight so assuming it popped out the back of speedo. Superscann811 has given me another cable to try.
Cant really re route it as its pretty direct at the moment :(
Hopefully fix isnt too difficult.

I did notice however that I still had to chop the floor to make this gearbox fit.
I thought no mods were needed to floor for this conversion....obviously I was mistaken.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

When you installed your box, did you have to change your throw out collor and bearing to the 4 speed one? mine was different, didnt match the exedy i put in so had to, but now my cable is slightly too short and i have to put a spacer in so that i can lift the clutch..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:1.6L flywheel and clutch work fine with 5 speed gearbox.
didnt change cross member, simply moved back the 1 bolt hole in the floor pan and changed the gearbox rubber to suit 5 speed.
car up and running, tight 5 speed is so much better than my old 4....however I have noticed that after driving to Newcastle and back on the weekend that it did leak a bit of gearbox oil out of the shifter and over the transmission tunnel...any ideas???

Matt

Too much oil, people used to take them out and fill them to the brim to make them quieter haha
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Didnt fill it to the brim, just until it was starting to leak back out the filler hole.

I did have to change the throw out bearing collar (thing that it sits on, if thats what you call it), but only because someone had put a modified one in there (it had an extra sleeve welded on it, so it would fit 4G37 bearing (not sure why). I just put the standard one back in from a 4 speed and it seems to work fine. I have noticed that my friction point is a lot closer to the floor now but that could just be due to cable adjustment.

Still havent fixed speedo cable yet.
And other thing that isnt working is my reverse lights, they are constantly on and dont turn off even when put in reverse, neutral or in gear. Tried swapping the wires around and nothing. I put the little ball back in the gearbox after I pulled the switch out.....any ideas?

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

It doesn't matter which way round the wires from the switch go - it's just a make/break in a power wire. Test the switch with a multimeter or test light while someone puts it in & out of reverse, to make sure it's working OK.

If the lights are constantly on, the switch may be jammed ? Might just need a spray with some contact cleaner of something similar.

Intermittent light problems are nearly always due to a dodgy earth somewhere. A couple of candidates to check :
- where the tail-light assembly earths to the body (wire from tail-light harness to a spade connector mounted on body .. one on each side. They are notorious for coming loose / corroding. Fix with sandpaper & pliers); and
- have you earthed the gearbox to the body properly ? (thick-ish wire that goes from a bolt on gearbox casing to a bolt on the body under passenger side floor. Make sure it has contact with clean metal both ends).