Decided on 904

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
lchilds82

Decided on 904

Post by lchilds82 »

Hey guys well i have decided to go with t904 baby, i know people have already gone down this track but with what im wanting to do i think it will do the job, im not after a huge amount of power, and from what i have read on here and other forums these seem to be pretty good. i have already picked up a transbrake and manualised valve body, just got to get the rest of the parts organised was just going to hit the local transmission place up to beef it up and install the valve body, as you guys know im not exactly the most experienced petrol head, so any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Also a forum member that i brought the the valve body off said that i can will no longer need the kick down, just wondering if anyone can explain this a bit better.
Cheers for all the help guys i appreciate it
4GB63t
mic_77

Re: Decided on 904

Post by mic_77 »

First and most important mod will be the oil pump drive it needs to be replaced with the set up out of a borg warner35 good luck with it all.

cheers Mic
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Thanks mic_77 always helpful, so im guessing that these oil pump drives are hard to come by? all information or as much will be helpful,
4GB63t
webby

Post by webby »

Not really. 6cyl XD-XF Falcons, 6cyl Valiants and probably more ran a BW35.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

well i will be building this trans soon so throw as much info at me as possible. Mic_77 i ve looked threw alot of old post and found that you use to do strengthened flexplates for this, just wondering if you still do them or is it old news.
From what ive found most of the baby 904 and 904 parts are interchangeable apart from pan gasket, extension housing seal and filter are different to normal torque flights but everything else is identical. Can anyone else verify, im wondering if i should try and organise all the parts for it the take it all to the local transmission mob.
4GB63t
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Clutch packs are smaller, input shaft is different and you will need a custom made input shaft as they are week from the factory there is someone in Melbourne that modify's the oil pumps I do not know who it is but it is a must you will then need a converter made try dominator they did the one in my old set-up then it was modified by TCE. Flex plate you will need to source from Paul Testa you will also need to make a new centre spigot to suit the thicker flex plate.

cheers Mic
lchilds82

Post by lchilds82 »

Well we have confirmd now 90% of everything.

The input shaft and oil pump are smaller and specific to the box (Due to the smaller bell housing etc and of course torque converter).

Pan gasket is different and so is the filter, although we have been advised that the normal 904 upgraded filter can be adapted to the vehicle.

Valve body is either identical it appears to the normal 904, or the normal upgraded valve body components for the 904 goes across to it. We have a shift kit which appears to suit both 904 models.

Clutchs, scrags, bands are all identical between both models.

Output shaft seal is different due to as people said, Mitsubishi adapting to the Mitsubishi yoke etc on the Uni joint.

We are going to build a mild box first without trans brake (Still have to sort that out yet) with modified valve body not sure if going to retain the automatic drive setup or go full manuel yet, 2500 rpm torque converter. Still researching input shaft / oil pump setups.

Once I finalise the rest of this information I will again let people know.

Some info i have found on another forum
4GB63t