Toyota Hilux Rear Axle install GC/GD

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
RaptorReed

Toyota Hilux Rear Axle install GC/GD

Post by RaptorReed »

Copied what I wrote on ClassicColt! :thumpsup:

Well for starters, this applies to the 2nd gens/GC/GD Galants, I don't have experience on the 1st gens or the Colt Lancers to say this all applies to you, however it can be used universally for the most part.

Parts needed:
Toyota Hilux 8" 2WD 5 lug 79-95 Axle
Both sets of the Toyota U bolts that hold the springs on
Stock Colt Galant Leaf spring base plate (I don't know it's real name, bottom plate that the bolts go through)
Stock Colt Galant Leaf Springs
1 pair of Art Morrison Universal Axle Leaf Mounts ($20) fit 2 1/2" Axles. For international orders, you will need to call or email them. http://artmorrison.com/layout.php?y=store/&x=components

Sure, you could use the Toyota springs, however I did this with the intent of keeping fabrication to a low and on a budget for mounting this rear end in.

Here's the stock rear that must come out! So take that weaksauce of an axle out! :D

It's best to just unbolt the shocks from their perches and the leafs from the car, then you can wheel everything away like a wheelbarrow :lol:
Also helps to either remove or cut off your exhaust if you were in the midst of doing an engine swap like myself.

Once removed the car should look somewhat empty like so

Now we look here at the two axles side by side (Stock on Left, Toyota on Rear). Hilux is definitely much thicker and stronger appearing than the Stock Galant.

Now comes the fun part! unbolt the leafs from the stock rear and if your new one still came with leafs pull them off too.

Obviously the thicker Toyota U-Bolts will not fit into the holes on the Galant bottom spring plate and are a little off. While I don't have pics for it, we placed the U-bolts so they sat evenly over their respective holes on the plate (the bolts sat covering about half of each hole or a little less on one side vs the other)

We used a 7/16" bit then a 1/2" Bit to widen the holes then a dremel with a grinding bit to notch them. Remember to mark around the bottom of the bolts so you know where to widen to!

We also chopped off the top of the metal collar that is on the upper pad so that we could get the center bolt (that holds the leafs together, in my case it only holds two leafs) into the leaf mount on the axle. I'll try to get a pic of that tomorrow, if I can.

Now trial fit everything together, make sure it all fits properly and evenly.

This is how mine turned out with everything bolted together on the axle

Remove everything from the axle and roll it over to the car (use a set of wheels/tires, your back will thank you later) and bring the Galant leafs over as well. The idea with this is to get the leafs mounted to with the new axle simply resting on them so you can get an idea of alignment.

This is how it sat, you can see where the problem is already.
Left side

Right Side

Where it all sits is a good time to snap photos, mark, our right down how much on which side you have to move the mounts. This is important as later on you can use the stock mounting positions as a reference point.

So what does that mean for us? Cutting the stock Toyota Leaf mounts off, then grinding them all down and the weld bead that goes along the side of the axle around the potential new mounting location. I personally used a rotary tool with a cutting disc, took me two discs and several hours to cut through that thick steel.

Once you get all the old stuff of and grinded down, redo the mock up and see where things sit. This is now the time where you get the new mounts and put them in place as you adjust the axle's placement on the springs.

Use a tape measure or ruler if you would like to measure the distance from the original mount edge and where the new mounts are to be welded. Everytime you adjust the axle one way or the other, recheck your measurements, remember you want things precise and perfect! No one like doing things twice!

Once you have everything set, use some type of marker, welding pencil like we used, etc to mark where to weld/tack on the mounts.

You will need a medium grit sand disc to get the down to the bare metal for this. Sand down to the bare metal along your marked line, helps to have another person to gently rotate the axle (rotating the differential towards the rear, we did it this way as it was the easiest and neither one of us wanted to mess up our measurements as everything was finally positioned into place!

Last edited by RaptorReed on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Re: Narrowbody Toyota Hilux Rear Axle install GC/GD

Post by A112H »

Love it, awesome work and very well documented :thumpsup:
For those interested in this conversion, these narrow diffs are from 1978-83 here in Australia.
I understand that it didn't need to be narrowed???
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

It's a good idea to hold off on welding till you already have the engine and trans in with the car on the ground you can accurately mark on the axle where to weld the mounts for the Pinion angle. That is only if you are swapping a different motor and trans in, like I'm swapping the 4g63 with a Supra R154 5spd in.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
greengalant

Post by greengalant »

Will the same conversion fit into a gb??
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

greengalant wrote:Will the same conversion fit into a gb??
The rear suspension set ups are all the same in Galants and Lancers. The only difference being the number of leaves fitted (whether it's a sedan or wagon), and of course diff ratios as well (again sedan or wagon).

So the answer to your question should be yes.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Does anyone know if the tail shaft would need to be changed in any way to match the Hilux diff?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

My bet would be - yes. Probably need the Hilux tail shaft with the Galant front yoke welded onto it. A straight forward job for any workshop that does tail shaft balancing and mods.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

By tail shaft are you talking the propeller/driveshaft or as in the case of the slip yoke housing on the rear of the transmission or the flange for the Differential Pinion on the rear of the propeller/driveshaft? The actual driveshaft, you will need whatever slip yoke for your application may be and yes the Hilux flange on the rear (if you happen to pick up a Hilux rear with the shaft, I'd keep it for the flange). You may also need to have a new shaft built up altogether anyway because, as I found out when I positioned the Coupe's stock driveshaft up to the new rear end on the car, it's too long even with the KM110 still on the car at the time. In my case of the R154, I believe my new driveshaft will probably be half the size if not a little bit more than that of the original shaft.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

In my research on more rearend stuff, I found this tidbit of info, that could be helpful when sizing up a toyota rear end to their stock one.
Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

is it me or are those leaves really long??????

Hate to imagine the amount of axle tramping you'd get on a hard launch
Built with pride, Driven in anger
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Probably just you as those are stock Coupe leafs underneath it. I won't be abusing it with those leafs under it for that exact reason, plus it squats in the rear with that added weight from the axle lol. Pretty sure the axle would wrap wickedly from the amount of torque I'll be putting out hahahahaha (should be 400whp-450whp territory)

I've been searching 3 link stuff actually, thus when I came about the added tidbit of info I posted. :thumpsup:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion