Gearbox question

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Paddles

Gearbox question

Post by Paddles »

Hey guys, i have a 88 triton with 2.6 series 2, just wondering if the gear box is the same as a jap 5 speed wide block out of a sigma? are they same ratios etc. mine starting to play up and am wanting to change it with one of my spare jap 5 speeds out of a sigma.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Superscan811

Re: Gearbox question

Post by Superscan811 »

Paddles wrote:Hey guys, i have a 88 triton with 2.6 series 2, just wondering if the gear box is the same as a jap 5 speed wide block out of a sigma? are they same ratios etc. mine starting to play up and am wanting to change it with one of my spare jap 5 speeds out of a sigma.Paddles
I believe the gear width and ratio's are the same as the Pajero and Starion gearboxes but they run heavier duty bearings than the sigma/scorp jap boxes.
It will bolt up to a standard wide block gearbox, but, if you are doing alot of heavy loads and/or towing, the gearbox won't last as well.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

it does thanks. they looked the same from outside just didnt know about the inside. the only difference i could tell is the crossmember, but its a different car so as to be expected. i do a little towing, mainly a daily driver. occasional car trailer for wrecks or towing my other cars to the drags.

Thanks for help

Paddles
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

:roll:
Last edited by scorpioncollector on Thu May 28, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

That there is. only one way to find out. lol

Paddles
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

scorpioncollector wrote:
I'm muckin around with wide block 2.6 and 5speed box out of Gn sigma or Scorpion (basically the same) nd.

Yes they are basicly the same :roll: Only difference is

Block, Head , rocker cover ,inlet manifold, rocker gear, cam, lifters, sump, distributor, pistons.

Practicly identical ;)
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

:?: STAY TUNED
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

It will,.....You just have to swap the rear extension housings over.
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

Triton gearboxes have a bigger output shaft (or atleast the one I put in my galant does). Apart from that they're identical.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

I can vouch for ratios in saying that wideblock jap's, narrowblock japs, and the narrow 4spd borgy are all the same.

Only different with the borgy (in terms of ratios..) is that its missing a gear :mrgreen:

What mitsubishi did to compensate for different engine power and towing capacity etc was diff ratios. But I've never seen a box from a 1.6L or any of the 4g6* series, so they could be different
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Paddles wrote:Hey guys, i have a 88 triton with 2.6 series 2, just wondering if the gear box is the same as a jap 5 speed wide block out of a sigma? are they same ratios etc. mine starting to play up and am wanting to change it with one of my spare jap 5 speeds out of a sigma.

Paddles

Since tritons are all jap made, i would assume that the box would be the same as a wide block scorpion, seeing as they are all jap made too.

As for starion box, i was under the impression the only difference was that they have hydraulic clutch instead of cable.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The Starion and Pajero boxes have a different bearing setup, and they are not interchangable with the Sigma bearings

I bought a Starion box on ebay several years back. Plan was to put it in the Wagon. Looked like too much hard work. During the auction I was bidding against a guy from Blacktown that has a gearbox reco business. I offered the box to him, but instead he traded me a reco Sigma box. Which is why I have reco sitting in the shed gathering dust. :roll: