W58 Supra 5 speed into Sigma Turbo & Hilux diff discussion

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
TR11KY

W58 Supra 5 speed into Sigma Turbo & Hilux diff discussion

Post by TR11KY »

I've transferred over all the old posts and quoted as they posted from this thread:
http://www.sigma-galant.com/archive/mod ... pic&t=6432

The thread covers the how too of converting your existing Borg Warner T5 gearbox or Jap box if you have one to the w58 (or w55, w56, w57) TOYOTA SUPRA gearbox. There is also some discussion on diff conversions, namely r31 and Hilux.

Im not finished yet but some others have. as you will see.

Although not done i'd like to say a huge thanks and ongoing thumbs up hopefully to the gusy who have helped most in the thread (old member names)
turbosigma
TurboGJ260
and
stealth

others too but these guys were always around lurking with answers when needed. Im almost there guys, just got sidetracked with life and a new daily (r34 gtt 4 door skyline :lol: )
Last edited by TR11KY on Wed May 13, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Re: W58 Supra 5 speed into Sigma Turbo & Hilux diff discussion

Post by TR11KY »

COPYING OVER OLD POSTS FROM HERE.

Guys as from the wanted thread im looking at starting my supra gearbox conversion soon. Im in the process of getting the right box and searching for the right adaptor setup, clutch and flywheel.
The hilux diff conversion will come a little later on as the work progresses.

Here's the copy over from the wanted thread

sigmata wrote:Guys anyone can help me in the sydney or even canberra up to coffs harbour area
Im chasing a gearbox thats been converted for my sigma. I dont want the hassles if i can help it of converting, id love a straight out and straight in affair.
I had my mind on the supra w58 box but im up for other if they're strong enough to take it.

sigmata wrote:BUMP.
im set now on what i want. Supra w58 box modified to suit 2.6L block plus any info on clutch and flywheel requirements.
Cheers

stealth wrote:hi sigmata
you can buy the w-58 g/box from ekw wreckers (thay are in vic)
but will courer to your door g/box is worth $675
the flywheel is what ever you got as there are 7 different diameter
clutch plates just need to get the right one
the bellhousing is off borgwarner 5 speed $ ?? depends
and adaptor plate b/g to w-58 is $660 from castlemaine rod shop (what a rought a)
when you order g/box work out what length you what to shifter
and you want 190mm imput shaft (length that is) not 160mm
have a look at dellow automotive.com for g/box info but DONT buy anything from them as thay are a total rip off and dont support mitsi
products
cheers stealth

Sideshow wrote:i've got just the box (w58) if your interested...

sigmata wrote:thanks stealth i appreciate your help mate! ive got a few borgy bellhousings so theres no probs there. What does the castlemain bit do? get the spacing right only? given the 5speed borgy bell housing already fits up to my motor i dot get that bit... Or maybe its a clearance thing with the flywheel?
i sent them an email yesterday asking about one, they have 2 types depending on cast or alloy nose on the boxes??? wtf this mean???

sideshow needless to say a pm is coming your way as we speak.

stealth wrote:um um f---
cast nose or ally nose is the borgy g/box is the front section cast iron
like the two that i have are or is all ally (like a jap 5speed but crapy borg
warner)
the plate bolts to the "back" of your b/w bellhousing and a w-58 will bolt
to that as for spacing castlemaine rod shop will answer that and let
us know as its a great question
um think iv covered it
cheers stealth

TurboGJ260 wrote:I got dellow's conversion kit sent to me no problems... Was to suit a 2L block and starion Hydraulic clutch. Everything in the kit included fork and bellhousing. $550 to my door in sa. What u mean a total rip off??? Just had to bring the whole setup (bellhousing & Gearbox) to Adel Clutch Services (extremes) and Gavin there made a clutch plate to suit the 2L clutch disk with a 900kg pressure plate and then i opted for a evo 1 lightened flywheel. Only mod needed was to machine out the spiggot bearing and make up a thrust bearing holder (60mm long) so it didnt fall off the shaft of the supra box as they arnt that long. Was a expensive procedure but once its up and running im sure its gonna out stand some serious punishment.. all of that and a hilux diff in the rear.. Only thing left is the tailshaft...

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

some specifics for my car.

-Im mating up a w58 box with what we think is a 160mm shaft at this point. Sideshow is going to measure for me. not sure if its the bigger R154 box that has the 190mm shaft and the w series the 160mm one.

-Engine is 4g54 skinny block currently mounted to borgy 5 speed

-I will not modify floor pan and in particular the shifter hole. ABSOLUTE NO.

-I want a setup that will hold maximum 350rwkw, but im only expecting to push it as far as 300rwkw for quite some time so it's a factor allowance for safety really.

-If i can i'd like to keep the same flywheel, starter motor and clutch for simplicity.

Here's what i know diff wise.

-I want lsd hilux diff and i'll be picking ratio once i know more about the gear box ratio's.

-Mount to existing mounts is a must and width same as standard sigma turbo borg warner diff

-Must have rear disc and brakes capable of fitting inside the standard 15" Wherrets.

-Stud pattern must be able to be modified to suit sigma 114.3mm

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

shootdog4fun wrote:r154 is the bigger box, what i think they normally call the twin-turbo i believe. It came in 160mm and 190mm, one was the car, the other was the hilux one, not sure what came in what, but the model doesn't distinguish it at all. This box handles 600hp or so im told.

Im fairly sure that in the W boxes, theyre all one size, just cant recall what.
sig2L wrote:hey mate im running a W57 and hilux rear in my sigma they are both a great piece of gear, make sure you get a shift kit for the W5# box you choose to run cause they havent got the best feel to them, the LSD's arent bad im running a 4.11 LSD in mine now but it isnt designed to handle big power, im only making 250hp at the wheels and its well and truely on its way out looking at getting a detroit true trac once i put my twin cam engine in. im running pintara discs on the rear bought the discs and calipers from pick and payless for $26 even had good pads just make an adaptor from 11mm steel and they run the same 114.3mm stud pattern and run the hand brake through the actual calipers so no stuffing around with shoes for the hand brake.
Also while your there cutting the tailshafts down be sure to upgrade the uni's the guy from the prop shaft shop had some ford 9" ones which he was able to adapt onto the standard sigma shaft and W series yoke
Hope that helps in some way
stealth wrote:all the w5#g/boxs are the same bolt pattern the different length
imput shafts are for different toyota cars supra,hilux,prado 2wd,and other jap models
problem is i have broken 4 of these with 300kw 6g72 but thats with
a full spool on a circuit with heaps and heaps of abuse that 3 imput shafts
and 1 massive internal failure most likely got way to hot ,most of the
internals become externals
and to clarify w5# boxs are for up to 300 hp at tyres
and r154 is good to 650hp but not abused
ps w5# will take you 350kw and you can do a few skids here and there
when i say abused i mean really floging it on track every time its started.
cheers stealth
turbosigma wrote:Gearbox.

Have a read - http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=10712
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/tec ... boxes.html

There's a w55 at pick a part ( Dapto ), so someone get it before i do - the w58 cost me $150.

Will do a post on the install when the Diffs in.

Diff.

Hilux diff - no idea - but hear there strong.

In the middle of getting an R31 BW78 installed - 3 diff places and 12 weeks later still nothing done.

r31 diff is 60mm wider - and is 4x114.3 stud pattern. ( no shorting / stud change - was thinking things would go quicker )

I also want to keep the existing mounting points.
The problem is with the GH diff having the top arm brackets cast into the diff housing. At this stage he's talking about custom top arms - in a stretched out Z shape, to go wider/clear the diff housing.

Any one else that's done a GH diff - Please post pix.
Sideshow wrote:the r154 came on the 7m-gte supras(3 litre straight six twin turbo), its the biggest and strongest 5 speed manual box out of the supras (besides the 6 speed getrag off the 2jz's, but there $3k each), there roughly around $1500 for one thats in average condition, so that why the w58 is more sought after, similar ratio's but half the price and can handle a fair whack of power.

sigmata : my box is definately a w58, the r154's r much larger(about 50mm wider) and almost 15kg's heavier. all the w series box's have the same bolt pattern, its only the ratio's that r different. w58 has the closest ratio gearset out of them, so thats why its popular. u can get its either 7 or 9 different shifter positions for the w series boxes too, so they can cater for just about any conversion.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

UPDATE
i had planned on getting the borg box out and swapping her for the box out of #500, HOWEVER i struck a problem last night that has also helped me understand why the shift hole on the #500 was butchered as it is....

under car shot of box and shaft inplace. Filthy as...

so i busted my gut took the box out and uh oh... not the same boxes are they!!! ARRRRGH!!!

shifter position is different so it must be a rebuilt box out of holden or some other random borg warner 5 speed running car.
So now im screwed and looks like the supra conversion is going to be like last time done fast and with xmas coming up thats not cool....

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

turbosigma wrote:Borg Warner 78 Series diff info - http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=133721
There strong enough with the 28 spline axles, mini-spools/full-spools easy to get - and if you need stronger 31 spline axles available.
The lsd's form what I read are not much good but there are after market options available. Think I will be going with a Kazz lsd next tax check.

and last - a rear brake upgrade for the r31 diff - http://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?topic=79964.0

Pick a Part is in Dapto - Wollongong - no idea if they could send it to you.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/imagecach ... normal.gif

http://www.sigma-galant.com/modules.php ... pic&t=6152

One of my rebuilt BW and the w58.

I originally had the 3rd shifter position but swapped that with my cousins w57, first one in pic ( his box also form pick a part ) - ideally the 2nd in the pic would be the closest. according to the 2nd link in my first post - it's 20 inches Measured from the front face of the transmission.

scorp16 wrote:you will find the longer extension housing box comes from a gj/gk sigma.
the ge/gh box had a short extension housing
ahhh thanks mate!!!! no it makes more sense...

Tubor sigma so your saying the 20" one suits best for shifter position match? Looking at that i'd say the 21 would have been better???
Last edited by TR11KY on Wed May 13, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

TurboGJ260 wrote:i think i got the 21 in mine. Its a bit close to to the front of the console but thats because of the short throw shifter i bought. Ones on e bay from New Zealand not bad shifter i think just might need to put a bit more of a bend in it. Look them up (w55) and the throw is less than half.
thanks guys makes more sense now!

just lookin at the shifter kit now, to get a feel for it. What you mean it sits more forward mate? the shifter kit does this???

I have an 18 available to buy but im just waitin on sideshow to get back to me on his box for the measurements and im buyin the box.... Hopefully his id rather, but either way i'll buy one next week with any luck.

My cash is pretty sweet now for the most of it as long as there are no big hiccups, should have her on the road by xmas!!! WOOP WOOP Looks like another fast conversio thread boys...

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

TurboGJ260 wrote:just the bend in the shifter if u look in the picture in my application i needed to (well should of) put a bit more of a bend in it as the boot around the shifter is tight around the shaft of the shifter. umm if u look at my picts in the thread of my auto meter dash u might b able to c it inplace of my gj sigma. dunno u might b alright with a gh?
Sideshow wrote:hey mate, i'll be up at my storage unit on tuesday, i'll bring it home with me regardless, its just taking up room, so i need to get rid of it. so i'll have the measurements on tuesday night hopefully.
stealth wrote:by the way turbosigma
you can get a 35 spline romac full spool for the b/w and i belive that
for our application is "unbreakable" well i have never broken one thats what i will say cause everything is breakable
cheers stealth
turbosigma wrote:wow 35 - only hear up to 31.

would you know of any 31/35 LSD's - not that i think i will ever kill the 28s.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

got a box lined up gotta go pick it up of sideshow next week. Very pleased with our arrangement, just lookin forward to gettin it so i can start check measuring it all up...

well my supervisor is still bustin my gut about it so im pushin on hard as i can...

UPDATE

Its the 21" length w58 box so its rated for the higher power and will virtually bolt right in position wise.

then its adaptor plate time, yoke and speedo cable...

here's the borgy bellhousing and its clutch fork which all stays, but gets bolted onto the supra box via the adaptor plate.

and an idea of mount position, shifter position and rear shaft on the existing box. Supra one has to come in pretty close to same spots...

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

stealth wrote:excellent work getting anything out of dellows will thes bellhousings
be available all the time and 425 +gst is a good cheap price yeah
cheers stealth
TurboGJ260 wrote:go with the dellow man u cant go wrong. 425+ is a friggen good price think mine was 500 inc to my door. if ur going hydraulic setup like starion u might need to get the thrust bearing carrier made up like i did to suit the clutch combo. mine was made 60mm long so it doesnt fall off the shaft on the supra box.

BOX
Yeah Danny was quite a helpful guy down there, i had it all ready with catalogue up on screen etc so we were able to discuss it all in detail. He did advise me though not to place my order until i have the box, so i can be sure to get the right match.

I worked it out at $520 for bell housing & speedo cable, add some gst its 572 and around $40 postage im in for about $620 tops... Im happy with that given all the hard works done for me.

GJ mate im goin with the stock cable clutch but i'll check out the thrust carrier last and if need be get one made too.

DIFF
ok guys im thinkin a little more baout my diff, deciding weather or not to move house and re lay it up (have to now anyway), then keep her up longer while i do the diff conversion to something stronger wirth an lsd. PLEASE NOTE i said LSD not LOCKER... NO MINI SPOOLS, FULL SPOOLS just the good old LSD.

OPTIONS AS I UNDERSTAND THEM
I invite you to please explain your info if you've done one.

HILUX - (model??? 2wd)

COMMODORE - (model???)

SKYLINE - R31 - MY PREFERRED OPTION
any particular model ie pintara, skyline na or turbo'd model etc??? are they all same???
I like it at the moment as the width is good (slightly wider) but does need to be closely checked, the stud pattern correct, parts available to maintain it, brakes easy hook up, handbrake easy also.
Question, what composition is the housing cast iron? steel?

not one im doing but also
FORD 9" - (big mumma off diffs...)

Either way as i understand it you have your biggest dramas in getting the top mount eyelets in place. I was toying with the idea of stripping the rear and doing a more agressive conversion to coilover or something similar but due to the engineering requirements of it im shying away from that big time. I'll just tune the sigma suspension as it comes once converted and happy with it.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

stealth wrote:keeping in mind all my stuff is lancer
but i use any borg warner housing(made of cast steel)from xy to bg
falcon any commodore BUT make sure you gett a housing that
DOES NOT USE 2.77 RATIO THESE HOUSINGS ARE DIFFERENT
any housing with lsd now anything VL onwards and EA onwards is a
28 spline axels same as 9inch and 28 spline lsd will hold up to what you
will be doing (starts one wheeling lock to lock at 90kph up and was at
240ft pound)but still possability of breakage with abuse(i never broke at 28 with a astron put it that way)
as for the mounts for sigma just jig your diff on the brackets pull sigma
diff out of jig put in b/g and weld new mounts on sounds easy as
ps i understand that no mini spools or full spools on street action it
would get a bit TR11ky
cheers stealth

turbosigma wrote:SKYLINE - R31 - use the 28 spline.

Silhouette had the lsd.

Pintara - 25 spline

diff 60mm wider - i had 40mm to the guard with my wheels with sigma diff - so should fit - may need a slight roll at worst.

Skyline:

Manual (lsd and open) : 3.7.

Automatic (lsd and open) :3.89 - one i have - should be fun take off's.

Pintara (not sure on manual) : 4.11.

GTS2 (both auto and manual) : 3.89.

Turbosigma
So R31 Silhouette diff is the stronger and LSD. Excellent....
Now when you say 60mm wider you mean total width is 60mm wider than sigma diff from wheel mounting face to face???

When you say 40mm to the guard is that each side so with stock wherrets???

Ratio i havnt checked into yet, as i dont actually know whats in mine now. Its had a centre rebuild so i can only assume it was to copy the existing but who knows. Sigma turbo was 3.42 wasnt it???

Stealth
Hows width and that with commy diffs? How much was involved with brakes, handbrake and stud pattern adjustment???

haha yeah spool wise i dont want TR11KY, to be trickn me!!! lol Lockers have no place on my daily drivers thats for sure...

ANYONE DONE THE HILUS CONVERSION to discuss it???

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

TurboGJ260 wrote:Ive got the hilux diff in my sigma but unfortunately its not running as of yet. Had my old 2L borgy diff laying around so made up the jig (used a old metal frame form a table worked really well) and took some measurements. Overall length of the hilux is 8mm shorter so 4mm either side is peanuts. Honestly if u look at sig2L post about the hilux diff conversion everythings there i just went by what he did and few solid weekends and checking measurements consistently its all in and looks the part. This is in a Gj i might add im not sure what the go is with the gh models as to size etc.

stealth wrote:the b/g in my daily driver (of 5 weeks now)car now is out of NA fairlane using the short axel on my long side and shorten axel on short side i use xr8 wheels and brakes my diff housing is 1255mm disc face to disc face
a commodore is 1437mm (had to check the jig)
and the b/g in other car is 35 spline due to constant breaking
hand brakes are just a matter of soldering or brazing different end
onto cable
cheers stealth

thanks guys.

the hilux diff seems to be the best of em all now that i've done some basic checks, rang around and read a little more.

Spoke to a couple of local diff shops and they say the R31 Silhouette Diffs are a good match with 28 spline, stud patterns to suit sigma and width is similar but they are both hard to find and less servicable than the hilux diffs. They are known to brake as they are basically just a commodore diff so they carry the same problem as the commy one in the centres wearing. The more common commodore diff with 28 spline but 5stud pattern tends to be common but has a problem with the lsd centres for long term lastability.

The hilux they rate as stronger, more adaptable with ratio's as low as 3.7 in the newer diffs but 4.1 in the common ones. They are fully servicable and come with a more user friendly lsd.

So its time to read up im decided now on the hilux over the others.

I'll come back when i know more.

GEARBOX
pick up this sunday and ordering the bellhousing next week by the looks of it. Either way it's not going to be ready until end of Jan.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

turbosigma wrote:Hear the same then about the BW78 lsd's - last 3 to 6 months if lucky - but I'm going KAAZ anyway.

What stud pattern in the hilux - i could be wrong, but is re-drill'n stud patterns a no no ( with rta that is - not that you would be telling them ) - so would need new axles then?

Whatever you end up up going with let me know what you end up doing with the top arms - i may be changing my diff guy again soon - 4th time.

no probs mate you know i will...
not sure yet what i'll do but i have a couple of ideas including
-welding the holes up thickening for added strength then redrilling
-spacer plate of some type
-straight up drilling
-new axles or modded old ones

I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

GEARBOX
good news guys i got my box from sideshow on Sunday. (thanks mate!)

It's the longer shifter position and from first look it may be too far back. But until i put a gearbox crossmember on it i cant be sure. Not stressing on it yet....
Other immediate things i noticed.
*speedo cable is on other side and yep the types are very different.
*the guide shaft for the shaft is smaller so the bearing in the
flywheel/crank end will need to change. No biggy.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

turbosigma wrote:Sorry to hijack - but guess its better to keep it all in one place.

While waiting for the tail shaft place to reopen had a go at the supra box.
line's are the old position.

The shifter may need a bend until I find a 20" extension housing for the box.
Is the supra box an off center box - more to the right - hope so/think so as there would be more of an angle I guess.

Working on the clutch arm and box cross member tomoz.

If anyone's got any pic's of there sigma/supra cross member please post.

ps - got the diff back on Christmas eve - will post pix when exhaust is re-done.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

TurboGJ260 wrote:ok i was gonna explain it but photos are the way to go i guess.

teeth missing from jap 5 speed.

OK now this is what i did..

Used a piece of 20mm thick steel. Ran it along the 4 bolt holes for the cross member mounting points. drilled and used all 4 bolts to hold it up and the last 2 went through the steel and the gear box cross member.

as for the rubber mount on the gear box it self i was gonna weld a plate in the cross member its self but marked out the holes and just had to tap the recess bit in on one small part of the member as u can see in the photo i hope..

All in all the gearbox is a bit close in the tunnel so i might have to suggest a thicker steel size to drop the box down a bit more but i havent had this on the road yet so i dont know if its gonna hit in the tunnel under load. Hope this helps a bit im no engineer and just did what i thought would work so yeah let me know if its wrong lol??

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

vr4retrofit wrote:Thats actually pretty clever and cheap. Please tell me those zip ties are only holding the wires out the way.

Have you got the exact diamentions of those bits of steel?

How long before you have it on the road? Id like to know it goes.

turbosigma wrote:Did the same thing this arvo - i used 18mm x 50mm x 210mm - but i used all 3 holes on the frame

Tunnel is a bit close too - to high you hit tunnel, to low and the front of the engine is a bit to high

galantman wrote:the above is exactly the same thing i did to mount my W series box to the Galant, Toyota rubber mount onto Galant X Member, then adapter plates bolting to original mounts and the new " floating" X member bolt locations, Ideally there would be another set of holes to bolt the adapter plate to Rearwards of the X member location to reduce potential flex of the adapter plate.

TurboGJ260 wrote:alright so it seems to b the way to go. Yes the ties are for the wires to the hall effect sensor for the electric speedo. I think ur right about the 3 holes i think i tapped one of them in the steel cant remember it was ages ago. Yeah its been sitting 2 long. Sorry 4 the Hijack but i thought ide share what i did
not at all mate its hugely appreciated... So your into a gj yes??? I wasnt aware id have to make brackets like that hey...UH OH...LOL

TurboGJ260 wrote:yeah its all in the GJ sigma. Im guessing ull prob have to be making similar spacers for the GH
Does anyone have pics or prepared to show us a completed supra box conversion into gh??? I like the economy of your idea man, dont get me wrong, but the flex and the idea of bolst coming loose or snapping scares me so i wanna go something more rigid perhaps. However if others have done similar with no probs i'll follow the trend.
Last edited by TR11KY on Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

turbosigma wrote:Was waiting for some better pix while on a host before i posted - so these will have to do ya - on the road for 3 weeks or so now.
Round off and paint the bars, reverse light and hand brake cable to do.

Yes - the R31 diff is in too.

More chance of you pulling the bolts out of the frame ( done that ) then bending the steel bars.
ahh that shows it lil better. Any vibration with it? Did you locktite the bolts? how did the bolt pull out of the frame? strip while going in or under torque did it pull it out??? i take it you then put two through the frame yes???

im starting to like this idea more now ive seen the rubber mount under her etc...

turbosigma wrote:Any vibration with it? - No more than I'm use too.
The toyota's only use the rubber mount from box to x-member and no rubbers from x-member to frame. So try'n that way first.

Did you locktite the bolts? - Nope.

How did the bolt pull out of the frame? - Yes, torque - engine / box twist - 2 engine mount rubbers too.

I take it you then put two through the frame - Yes, but plate steel on the other side too.
thanks heaps mate thats a huge help!!!!

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Made that call today and handed over the hard earned to Dellow Automotive.

In couple of weeks i'll be lookin at the new bellhousing, made to suit sigma narrow block and supra 5 speed. Comes with speedo cable, bellhousing and the supra rubber mount, delivered for all up $731.50. Not bad considering.

Gotta take the slider fork attachment out of the borgwarner box to fit it up to the new housing. Got a spare with the other sig so i'll grab that one.

Also gotta order the exedy clutch plate and track down a bearing to suit the supra spline tip into the flywheel.

Get the thrust and carrier checked for spacing then drilled out to suit and i think thats my main stuff up front.

Sort my gearbox mount out in the same fashion or similar as shown by the others and im set.

Remaining will be the yoke & tailshaft to sort out once its in. Dare say im back on the road by end of February! WOOP WOOP!

WSID here i come!

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Well i was very surprised to get home yesterday to a package with Dellow Automotive printed on it! WOOOOO HOOO my parts are here two weeks earlier than expected! But uh oh the cars still gotta be put back up on blocks i got lots to do LMFAO!

Anyways here's the speedo cable under sigma standard as you well know.

And here's Dellow's replacement item with supra attachment and sigma clip on dash fitting (check if you have the later model sigmas that you dont have screw on behind the dash???)

Here's the brand new rubber mount. I wanted to make sure i have minimum flex, no chance of old perished rubber shearing etc.

AND HERE's THE MAGIC PART - the bellhousing to suit 9 bolt supra W58 to 2.6L narrow block... Sexy as!

Now its time to swap this gear in here (below) into that up there (above and bolt it onto the box.

Massive thanks to Danny and the boys at Dellow for getting it done and posted out to me so soon! THANKS!!!
Well worth the hard earned thats for sure...

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

been trying to get hold of Coltspeed guys at Port Macquarie to find out more about how they did the gearbox mount on Shad's ride SI66MA. I gave Shad a call the other day and he spoke of them boxing it out somehow. As someone who's run the conversion for quite some time now i really wanna compare his method against the quick flexy version.

As an engineer its not hard to see the kind of torque thats getting put to the bolts so im not real keen to follow that path. Sorry guys

So can any one help me out here? Pics or contact details? They've moved so the only way at moment is email....
76galantv6 wrote:im from port but i havent heard of these guys before, i will try and do some research and see where they are located and a phone number for you....
thanks mate! Im just tryin to come up with a more braced way of doing it if i can. Maybe something with a bolt up top of tunnell as well as a rigid bracket across the bottom that bolts to the bolt holes and the floor above the cross member.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Exedy Clutch plate to suit my current clutch with the Supra spline.

Just gotta get the bearing out of the flywheel, measure the shaft locator on the supra box and get into a bearing shop to find a replacement.

NOTE THIS DISK LATER PROVED WRONG - YOU NEED TYD034U for exedy sigma application

turbosigma wrote:Flywheel bearing is from a supra - same OD as sigma but 12mm ID. part number on it - 6201 LLU/2AS

The bearing for the clutch is stock sigma - but the carrier was machined out to fit on the supra shaft.

add this to keep it all in the one supra topic.

Bushes for the shifter
Shifter Support Seat Bush ------- toyota PN# 33505-35020
White Pivot Bush ------- toyota PN# 33548-31010

Thankyou very much man thats a huge help! Is that bearing part number a bearing shop number or exedy book number or something else???

I was planning on drilling the carrier out and figured the thrust bearing stayed the same, but it was the position forward backward i was interested in. Does it push normally with cable or is it still at the very end of the cable adjustment like sigma is???

turbosigma wrote:Part number off the box http://www.walkercorp.ath.cx/gearbox/flyb.JPG

Cable adjustment will be the same I think for yours - looks like you have the clutch cable hole - I had to make a bracket to feed the clutch cable through - Dellow bell I got doesn't have the hole for it - http://www.walkercorp.ath.cx/gearbox/Picture%20003s.JPG

Also - the sigma shaft / fork setup would not work on my bell - the arm for the clutch cable would hit the bell - made a new shaft. http://www.walkercorp.ath.cx/gearbox/Picture%20004s.JPG Something else to check.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

got the bearing all good its common as. Been a long time since i dealt with bearing numbers...$6 for bearing no hassles.
Im tracking down the ideas for the crossmember mount etc and i found my spare crossmember the other day while i was organising the shed (complete with brand new rubbers) so i've got pretty much everything i need to get the box together and in.

Thanks heaps for that mate it was a huge hep to see and lets face it who wants to get the sucker in only to find i gotta pull it out again. From what i can tell i think the new dellow bell housings dont have that issue and also seem to have the cable hole.

Shad just came through for me with pics of his crossmember setup so with massive thanks to him i'll show you guys how Coltspeed did it. This setup of course being proven to hold 180rwkw without issues.

Its pretty easy to see where the tourque loads are on this now so i'll do something similar for sure

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

guys i measured up the shaft for the thrust race carrier on the supra box and got 35.07mm. I called dellow and the guy i got said they drill out to 35mm (WTF???)....

Anyway what im wondering is what diameter did you guys drill your sigma ones out to?
I had 35.5mm in mind.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

ended up going with 35.3mm internal dia of thrust carrier after discussing with Dellow a little further. The supra diameter is 35mm but allowing for heat 35.3 will give plenty without excess slop.
I'll come back with pics but its all too easy gettin the standard sigma thrust carrier drilled out.

I had a top notch guy locally that did it with less than 10mins notice no questions asked. Small stuff like this is their bread and butter so if your in my area and have something small i cant recommend dave highly enough.
Details for anyone interested:
Dave Sanford
Small Machining Specialists Pty Ltd
2/47 Stenhouse Dr
Cameron Park NSW 2285
0412 146 820
sms-dave@dodo.com.au

So i started stripping down the old bellhousing to remove the throw out shaft. roblem is i cant work out how to get the pins out to free up the shaft from the throw out fork. Anyone tell me how to get behind and knok em out???

NOTE AFTER CHECKING 35.3 should be ok but 35.15mm would have been better.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Finally a pic update for ya's...

Heres my spare crossmember that i'll use.

had the thrust carrier honed out to match the supra slip shaft (35.3mm but coulda stayed to about 35.15 i think in heindsight)

my spare bellhousing from another sigma box. This means i can keep the original factory siggy t box intact ready for rebuild to reuse on #500

after the fork removed here's the bits.

had to butcher the old one to get the roll pins out though. Tried a few different things but they just wouldnt come all the way out coz of the closeness to the back of it and coming from behind them wasnt an option.

The sigma shaft doesnt quite fit the supra housing properly as its still a lil fat around the side. Even though they've notched it i know from how much pull is required and where it sits that it wont work. I called Dellow to let them know and will email them some pics shortly just for future designs.

a better shot to show you what i mean to allow it to work.
25mm should do it....
so im getting the shaft remade by Small Machining Specialists again. I also asked him to add another 10deg rotation towards the rear to try and bring back some more cable adjustment
Soon as i have that im gettin under to get it in there....Woop!!!!

Took the old bushes out to be reused from the bellhousing and reinserted them into the new one.

And then grabbed some high tensile bolts (flange type) to get that bellhousing bolted on. M10x35x1.25 do the trick nicely

The supra / sigma hybrid gearbox lookin closer to ready.

while i was there i also put the rear rubber mount on the rear using M10x20x1.25 bolts

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Should be picking my clutch shaft up sarvo or tomorrow morning. He's copied it and added 10deg plus the 25mm extension like i asked. Made using high tensile steel like the other too.

Im glad i left it to him actually coz i would have been foolish enough to use mild steel. No one wants twist or flex now do they...

*EDIT*

Here ya go guys the new shaft before i take it home n put her in. You can see clearly what i mean by an extra 10deg now. The old shaft on the left of course. Take it home n paint it now.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

UPDATE PRIOR
Put the bellhousing on finally and the new shaft in place, with the ten degree correction for clutch adjustment.
Shaft half in
Shaft in and pinned

The shaft view on the outside

TODAYS UPDATE
Just got stuck into it after ages of it just sitting there without the time to play. I checked the clutch disc on the weekend and sure enough its too big. The standard heavy duty style clutch in sigmas by exedy is 215mm diameter, NOT 225mm as i was lead to think. The clutch disc has been returned and i picked up the proper one today for supra conversion with existing sigma exedy clutch.

PART # TYD 034U is the supra disc with diameter of 212mm (3mm less than sigma). Im just gald theres a supra one to suit my diameter, or this coulda got nasty...
Here it is

I'll be under her tonight sticking clutch back in and hopefully run the new speedo cable also.

INTERIOR (sidetracking :lol: )
While i had it out i repainted the dash cluster backing. The previous owner had painted it along with many other things purple, which was bugging me for sure, but i was slowly removing bit by bit.
Here's the sigma turbo dash cluster with no face plate
And the face plate after painting it
back in place
and finished.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Sweet. I may well end up doing this to my galant one day.

Do you have a rundown on parts and cost?
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Not yet mate, but i'd hazard a guess at around $2,500 by the time it's in.
Off top of head without checking receipts:
$600+ bellhousing & gear
$700+ recoed box
$175 Clutch disc, flywheel machining & clutch pressure plate
$450 tailshaft (EDITED)
$80 modify exhaust to move muffler back
$50 misc machining
$300 contingency

you can see im close enough to $2.5K
Last edited by TR11KY on Tue May 26, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Lovin' it TR11KY

Will be re-reading this a few times.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.