gearbox doin my head in

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
crystalmeths

gearbox doin my head in

Post by crystalmeths »

Hi all , got a GH wagon , well its my young blokes , had 2.6 and a jap 5 speed , engine and box were not very good so changed to a 2.0 litre from the wreckers and a borgwarner 5 speed , changed the clutch plate but kept the pressure plate as this looked ok, now when I push the clutch in theres very little resistance almost as if there is no clutch cable attached and cant get gears without grinding , I have adjusted the clutch cable no luck still the same , can this happen if I have installed the clutch plate back to front or not , any help muchly appreciated otherwise I am going to blow this car up thanks Chris
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: gearbox doin my head in

Post by 81GL »

Got to love finding those things when you get it all together...

Few things I can think of:
-Make sure the outer part of the cable is securely held in place, not slipping, on the gear box end.
-What thrust bearing are you using? From memory the jap & borg use different items "I think"

Does it feel like it's engaging at all? or totally nothing?
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

thanks 81gl , the cable is good not slipping at all , the thrust bearing is what was on the box , just feels like there is nothing there when you engage the clutch ,thanks Chris
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

I had a problem when some of the clutch pressure plate bolts came loose. This caused the same type of problem.

Also, something I remember Cheater told me, and not sure if the GE's have the rubber grommet that goes through the firewall, but the said rubber grommet, especially if you have a heavier clutch, may pull back through the hole a bit, giving you a soft clutch that won't disengage properly.

Cheers.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

You may have a long clutch cable and need a short - only ever found 2 - all the others have been long.

And found ya a speedo cable/gear that I think fits - be in all today - tomoz, after 12.