DIFF GONE???? LOUD CLUNK!

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
72GalantGirl

DIFF GONE???? LOUD CLUNK!

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Hey peoples...
I thought I might ask here before we get the galant up on stands. When the car goes forward in drive there is a VERY loud clunk noise.. happens around every half rotation of the wheel. I have put it to needing a new diff but am not sure. Can't get under the car just yet but I know this is the reason it sat up the side of the guys house for so long. If anyone has any theory's or advice to help me diagnose would be much appreciated :)

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
rob020

Re: DIFF GONE???? LOUD CLUNK!

Post by rob020 »

does the engine still propell the vehicle forward? put the handbrake on and with the vehicle in neutral (engine off) reach up under the old girl and see how much play is in the driveshaft, theres shouldnt be much... if there is much try to see if the play is in the universal joints or inside the diff... thats about all i know

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Rob,
Yes does propell forward :l Will check the driveshaft tomorrow. Partner said could be unis diff or driveshaft so thought I should ask and see what anyone else has come across... It was in pretty bad nic but she is coming up golden so far except for when I pulled the taillights out they pretty much fell apart in my hands :l
Thanks heaps :D

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
rob020

Post by rob020 »

ive got a gh sigma and i get a clunking noise going from reverse to forward, if i do what i told you to do i can turn the shaft probably about a quarter of a turn..
im pretty sure that means that theres something in there thats loose.. lol.. if you get a noise thats constant with the revolutions of the engine/diff then mabye youve got some teeth that have been cleaned off? at low speed driving is there any jerkyness to the movement?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Um well it is a terrible noise and sounds very bad so it only drives forward 5meters and back 5 meters but it every like half turn of the wheel. Going to check it out today hopefully :)
thanks will let you know what I find.

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Galantgirl as Rob said check your tailshaft by locking the rear brakes, jacking it up and turning the tailshaft by hand.

then you may want to remove the tailshaft, brake drums, and pull your axles out.
Then unbolt your diff centre and have a close look at the teeth on your centre and pinion.
Check the bearings

And catch the diff oil and inspect for metal through it.
It can tell you alot about any problems you may have that arent obvious on first inspection.

Rob it sounds like you have too much backlash between your Pinion and crown wheel gears.
Could be that you need to tighten up the pinion?
Does anyone know the correct Nm tension to set these to?
Or it could be wear in the pinion bearings,
or the spacer needs replacing,
Or it could be wear in the gears...

Anyone have any other things to look for?
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Some pics i took

rob020

Post by rob020 »

DanTurboLancer wrote: Rob it sounds like you have too much backlash between your Pinion and crown wheel gears.
Could be that you need to tighten up the pinion?
Does anyone know the correct Nm tension to set these to?
Or it could be wear in the pinion bearings,
or the spacer needs replacing,
Or it could be wear in the gears...

Anyone have any other things to look for?
lol, your the first person that hasnt told me to just chuck a new centre in it, lol... the pinion is the bit that the tailshaft flange bolts too isnt it?

cheers,
rob
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Could be that you need to tighten up the pinion?Does anyone know the correct Nm tension to set these to?
Pinion shaft tightening torque = 160 - 220 Nm.
Drive pinion pre-load = 100 - 130 Ncm.
Pinion to Crown backlash = 0.11 - 0.16mm
Diff gear backlash ie:the 4 internal gears = 0.15mm MAX
Axle shaft axial play = 0.8mm MAX
Backlash at the diff tailshaft flange 5mm MAX

Cheers.
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

thanks so much will have a look over it properly the next time I get to touch it hopefully by the end of this week. :)

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Thanks Superscan :thumpsup: :)
rob020

Post by rob020 »

thanks superscan :$
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

So I played with the driveshaft as perscribed but there is very little play... My partner yelled at me for 10mins about locking the rear brakes on but I just proved him wrong!! MUHAHAHA!! Anyway if I put the car in gear and give it a little gas there is a clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk while under acceleration so I am going to have to pull the diff out and have a look see on wednesday :l But on the plus side if it means new diff it means friday I get to go for a drive to Ingham wreckers an hour away and have a look at their stash so keep an eye out for pics :)

camB

Post by camB »

I LIKE your attitude.

(and it's not just coz I'm blind)
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Diffs gone for sure...

Any suggestions as to what I could substitute for it that might be easier to find than a galant diff???? Looking at putting a GB wagon auto diff into it if I can find one?!?!?!

rob020

Post by rob020 »

GEs i think use the same centre.. i know theyre smaller than GH onwards centres.. worth looking into
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Thanks I will have a look into is. Oh is that a GE sigma or galant? lol I am a newbie to cars only 23 :P

rob020

Post by rob020 »

lol, GE is a sigma.. everything before GE is a galant.. unless it isnt :)

cheers,
rob
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

If you can find one, put a complete Galant station wagon rear end in it ...... it gives you 9" rear brakes rather than 8". Not 100% sure, but I believe the axles &/or bearings are bigger too.

All the Galant diffs are the same ratio (3.889) - so there's no advantage or disadvantage in using an auto vs. a manual diff ..... except (I think ?) early "Colt AI" 1300s which are 4.22 ratio but they are a much weaker diff & should be avoided !*

GC/GD Galants also run the same diff as GA/GB ... so there should be a few options out there. Lancers are probably the same too ? Certainly the complete rear axle housing from a Galant bolts straight into a Lancer.

(*according to the workshop manual, the AI wagons are supposed to have a 4.625 diff, but I suspect that's JDM only ... every one I have ever pulled out over here has been a 3.889 !)
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

See now that is something I didn't know rob020 :) Learning more and more about these cars.. I know lots about new school having worked at holden and Mitsubishi workshops but nothing of the older stuffs that I really like!!!

Awesome thanks so much davetrees!!! I got a message saying that the auto diff was better... Maybe he got the 4.625 without even realising???

Thanks for the info it is helped alot and will help heaps once I get to the wreckers. I called them today and they have a bunch of galant's and sigma's but he wasn't sure what he had exactly and said I should come and have a look. Going to a car show in that town in 20days with our burnout car a day early even to have a good days browse through the wreckers. Keep eyes open for post once I get back of what goodies they have!! :)

woops

Post by woops »

72GalantGirl wrote:Thanks for the info it is helped alot and will help heaps once I get to the wreckers. I called them today and they have a bunch of galant's and sigma's but he wasn't sure what he had exactly and said I should come and have a look. Going to a car show in that town in 20days with our burnout car a day early even to have a good days browse through the wreckers. Keep eyes open for post once I get back of what goodies they have!! :)
I wouldn't mind to see what they have with respect to the old school mitsy's as the only wreckers to have anything down in brissie here are rip off merchants and don't get new stock in that frequently at all. And pretty much anything good has already been pillaged in the past.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

stealth told me that the earlier GE sigmas have jap diffs too :) so that'd be much better for you ;) i bloody well sent mine to the wreckers just days before finding that out :( thought it was just a crappy boarg warner :(
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Only 19days now till I head to the wreckers. I will take lots of pics and do up a new topic once I get back :)

Thanks 13bsigma will keep that in mind too while looking. Apparently most of them are almost complete with just panel damage and minor problems but the parts were too hard to find so they scrapped them :O Good news for us that the wreckers are holding onto them!! :)