TKO and T 5 4G63 & EVO bellhousing

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
billhincher

TKO and T 5 4G63 & EVO bellhousing

Post by billhincher »

anybody know anything about the TKO or the TKO3550 series trans?
Image Image
I removed the lower skirt because of something Matt Arudda said, ' why not leave the skirt out ?'
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
I changed the T 5 back to accept the TKO option and molded it, I am finishing out detail and hope to have a casting done this week
Image Image
Image Image
sanding and sanding and sanding >;o)
Image Image
Image Image
this detail was a bitch >;o))))))))))

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by billhincher on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueThunder

Re: TKO and T 5 4G63 & EVO bellhousing

Post by BlueThunder »

woow, looks really nice! :thumpsup:

Looks like a nice fruit bowl on the last pics... :p

Greetz
Sven
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

awesome!! you made it look easy!! :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

G'day Bill

I've been following your builds with keen interest on projectzerog and here, aswell as austarion. Its great to see someone like yourself doing this for the mitsu people around the world.

Just wondering if you make t5 adaptors for both wide and narrow blocks, its probably been mentioned and I've missed it.

Thanks alot

Mark..
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

originaly, I had wanted to build the wide block T 56 6 speed.

But you know? I built the T56 for the narrow block and they didnt sell, the t 56 is too expensive and too big for most guys, so instead of the t56 I am going to focus towards the T 5 and TKo transmission wide block option

I built the R 154 for the wide block and the narrow block, most R 154 bellhousings are preffered outside of the U.S.

I am hoping the T 5 or TKO option will be better suited to the needs of the car builders
the T 5 is a very affordable, narrow trans and the TKO fits a racer level guys budget if he is going to get serious
what I have built will fit three engines ( first and second gen 4G63 and the EVO 4 through9) and two transmissions ( the T5 and the TKo)

The wide block would only be for one engine and two transmissions
I will also be building the 6G72 v-6 T5 set up and if there is demand the R series for the V 6
morpsi91

Post by morpsi91 »

Hey bill spoke to u a while ago and jyst wanted to no if u gave found or made anything to bolt up to a wide block to a c4 yet thanks it would be nice if u made somthing as they are a small and strong box thanks rob
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

Bill, I am a huge fan of the t5 gearbox as I have had a lot of experience rallying with them. They are a great gearbox!

I've been searching for something to mount one to a wideblock astron for ages, if you were going to make an adaptor, I would bye one tomorrow!

We have not had any reliabilty or strength issues with the mitsubishi box, its just that the ratios are absolute rubbish for rallying. The v8 ford and holden t5's from out here (same as your ford units over there) have the best standard ratios of just about anything. And because I've had heaps of success with them, its a natural choice for me. Just need the adaptor.

Keep in touch and I'll do the same.

Kind regards, Mark..
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

thanks for the kind words Mark, I will think about your sugesstion
A112H

Post by A112H »

I will also be building the 6G72 v-6 T5 set up and if there is demand the R series for the V 6
I would be very interested in one of these bellhousings.
Will they also suit the 3.5 6G74 and the 3.8 6G75?

Found this site, looks to be of interest
http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/portal.php?

Any thoughts on making an adaptor to make the 6A series RWD suitable?
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

I went out and got a 6G72 engine and cut it up to see what it looked like inside and out
funny? when I was starting out working on cars I always thougt the engine block was a 'dumb' peice of iron, but there is a great deal to learn from cutting away the core and finding out its secrets before a build
The GM auto trans plate overlaps the 6G72 v-6 bolt pattern very nicely. because I can cast my adapters, I am not dictated to by a standard adapter plate thickness size, I can adjust to any thickness I need

I started to think about starter spacing and this will lend itself to the selection of flywheel size

then I turned my attention to the coupler design, the first thing to do was to find all the critical demensions of the exiting crankshaft
I cut up the crankshaft too >;o)
I laid out a couple differnt size flywheels just to see what would interfer or what had a better fitmant so I could make the best choices during the design

In the rough draft, the coupler is a no comprimise peice of hardware, there can be no failure at this piont, any comprimise in this unit will be made elsewhere in the design, the thickness of this unit will dicate the thickness of the adapter plate
I know, it aint a computer drawing, but I spend hours just drawing and erasing and drawing thicknesses, shaving 1mm here and adding an angle there and keeping it strong and keeping it light and trying this and that , just hours of thought and frustration >;o) making a complex peice simple is what I enjoy doing
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
brettreid

Post by brettreid »

Hi my name is Brett and i am interested in the bellhousing for my project. Just woundering how much for the bellhousing or were i might be able to
get one in australia? Thanks brett.
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

hello brett
yes I finished them, I am sorry I didnt post it , I just lost my place I guess, its important to note, this fits the world class Ford V8 transmission or the TKO, the Chevy trans in your country seems to be very different
this uses the Toyota throw out bearing agian but a custom holder has to be built with each kit

my system re uses the Mitsubishi clutch fork and pivot ball from the 4G63 transmission
I put two pivot pedistals in the housing, so the fork can be placed in either the left or right side so it aviods the given exhaust system
this sytem re uses the factory Mitsubishi flywheel ,starter, and clutch cover, a custom disc is required, the flywheel center must be opened to 30mm and a pilot bearing is placed in the crankshaft center ( no machining required)
then I built a custom lower panel to cover the underside of the clutch and flywheel
I am a bit behind on all my work ( I am old, I get tired >;o) ) but I can get this done in a couple of weeks, shipping to Austraila usually cost $135.00
Thanks for asking
Bill
japaneseauto1978@yahoo.com
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

So a chev T5 wont fit?

The box ive got is 243mm from the tip of the input shaft to the face of the main housing. This maby longer than the Ford imput shaft? The retainer collar for the throw out bearing is 35mm.

I sent you a few email's with pics going back a bit and didnt hear back. Maby the pics where to big?

Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

here is my reply on June 1st

yes, that transmission is very different then what I have,

first of all is the fine spline input shaft, you can clearly see mine is a 10 spline coarse spline

the length of your input shaft looks to be too long, the overall length of my T 5 is 7 inches

the problem I was asking about before was the diameter of the center collar on the transmission, the T 5 has a 125 mm diamter on the centering collar where as the TKO has a 123 mm diameter

I would like to continue working with you to find and adjust the differences so I can provide you and others with the proper bellhousing

Time has not been my friend lately, I am a bit overwhelmed with work ,so stay with me, I dont mean to be rude but occasionally seem to be late with my replies
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks heaps for your help Bill.

I'll find out the dia of that collar and Email it to you ASAP! :)
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

check out this video on my face book page
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 1&comments
brettreid

Post by brettreid »

Hi
My name is Brett i need a bell housing for my project I an using a 4G63 vr4 engine and i need to bolt up a ford T5 with cable clutch set up.
Do you have a bell housing set up for this? how much for the kit? also you said post to australia is about $130.
Thanks Brett
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

no, all my stuff uses the hydralic clutch systems
brettreid

Post by brettreid »

Ok thanks for your help.
hooligan1

Post by hooligan1 »

this message is for billhincher. sir do you have any of these castings for sale?
regards
alan
liosmara@hotmail.com
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

These are some pic's of my latest work on the pattern for the T 5, I finished up last week
I always revisit my own work and see how to improve what I have done, I detailed out some extra material to get the weight down a little

Image Image

then I lowered the trans facing floor by 8mm and detailed the bolt facings for the engine bolts, It just needed to be a bit lighter

Image Image

yes I build them all the time and ship all over the world, I have had trouble meeting all the demand.

I am working out some details on the 6G7x V6 bellhousing right now, so my mind is 'in the tank' for a bit ( if that makes sense)

you can google my name anytime bill hincher and find me on facebook
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks heaps for my bell housing Bill. It arrived yesterday and looks mint. I'll keep you posted how it all goes. :D
SigmaKing

Post by SigmaKing »

hey Bill
just wanted to ask if you have any 4g63 (Evo 3) bellhousing to go with a W58 supra gearbox.
thanks James
billhincher

Post by billhincher »

yes, as far as I know the EVO 3 shares the same bolt pattern as the 4G63 narrow block, having said that the bellhousing also accepts the EVO 4 through 9 when ordered that way
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Hi Bill, any news on the 6G72 bell housing? I'm very keen in fitting a 6G72 to my car, but I would rather fit a C4 or other automatic transmission. Could you please help me?
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989