jap 5 speeds, which models?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
psshhhht

jap 5 speeds, which models?

Post by psshhhht »

Hi All,
I've been reading through a heap of threads from both the archives and the new site and I can't find out which model sigmas had the jap 5 speed.
I'm hopefully getting a 74 GC Galant on the weekend and want to do the usual 2.6L and 5 speed conversion when my savings revive lol.
Cheers!
Jer
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Torana68

Re: jap 5 speeds, which models?

Post by Torana68 »

only the early one, GE I think, no others but also Lancer had them.....these days they will turn up in all sorts of early Mits's
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

oh ok, thanks for the reply.
Dang so I guess that would make them pretty hard to find and more expensive. so do I really need to use the jap box to put a 2.6L in?
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

psshhhht wrote:oh ok, thanks for the reply.
Dang so I guess that would make them pretty hard to find and more expensive. so do I really need to use the jap box to put a 2.6L in?
I'm not sure how big the tunnel is in a galant you could fit a boag warner 5 speed
and they arn't a strong so I've been told
however I have one in my sigma atm which has done 2 race meating ans a couple of sprints
in my sigma and it still is ok ( the car has dynoed to 119.5 Kw atw ) I may not be hard on boxs though

but your smart move if you are going to run a astron is use a 2.6 out of an auto and fit a 2 Lt jap 5 speed you will need a 2 Lt flywheel and clutch
cheater
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

ok, sweet, yeah I like the 2.0L 'box idea, they gotta be more common than the jap spec 5 speed.
The b/w strength doesn't bother me too much, I'm not chasing huge power, well not for quite some time anyway, if I do the 2.6 swap in I'll basically keep it stock, just exhaust and intake.
I figure it should still be enough for some fun and besides, I'll mainly be using the galant for motrkhanas at the Pakenham Auto Club which is on a grass paddock, so too much power is not useful... it's hard enough to be competitive with fwd cars with a stock rwd, let alone a tuned one :)
Thanks for the info! :D
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

psshhhht wrote: it's hard enough to be competitive with fwd cars with a stock rwd, let alone a tuned one :)
thats the reason I went to a cordia for autocross - easier to drive or is that just me
cheater
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

nah definitely easier in a fwd, cos they only oversteer when you yank the handbrake and when they slide it's actually controllable. When I was 15 I won outright (beating seniors, including some of the clubs best drivers) on only my 3rd race day using a club car - stripped out 1985 Mazda 323 3 door hatch with a modified handbrake (had been drilled so would only have braking effect for as long as you held the lever up).. was so easy to race!

I wanted rwd though because I want to just have fun, sliding as much as possible. (however there's a balance between sliding while still making forward progress and just sitting there stationary spinning the wheels lol) Also I would like to do a few tarmac 'khanas and that's when the rwd starts to make up ground on the fwd.
panda

Post by panda »

If you're looking for a Jap 5 speed, wander through a wrecking yard & check the shift pattern on the gear knob. Reverse on a Borg Warner is up towards the glove box, whereas reverse on a Jap 5 speed is down below 5th gear towards the handbrake.
Jap 5 speeds were fitted to some GJ & GK, & most (but not all) GN's. If you find one, be sure to get the tail shaft, speedo cable, rear mount, & clutch plate as they are all different from Borg Warner. ;)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

oh ok, cool, thanks Panda! :D
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

panda wrote: Jap 5 speeds were fitted to some GJ & GK, & most (but not all) GN's. If you find one, be sure to get the tail shaft, speedo cable, rear mount, & clutch plate as they are all different from Borg Warner. ;)
Interesting. The Spare parts cattledog and the factory workshop manual only list the KM132 (Jap Box) for the GN.

What other gearbox was fitted ??

ps, please ,please please dont tell me that you once had a sigma with a steel case celica box which must mean that they fitted the toyota box as standard from the factory. :roll:
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i was going to do the same deal
i found you need a narrow block 2.6L (wide wont fit in the tunnel) and apparantly the borg warner is shit hahah
panda thanks for the gears info i didnt even think of that ahah.

psshhht when you find one if you cant tell look on the back of the block, above the bell housing you should be bale to see / feel half a welsh plug. this is the narrow block
on a wide there is no sign of the plug.

i almost made this mistake last week hahah
(thank god for siggy-gallaz dot comm) :D

im new to this too haha i been thru alll the same questions your about to ask haha
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

shuggy wrote:apparantly the borg warner is shit hahah
was just wondering who has broken a boag warner box and what did they break
I know Karl pulled a gear shift out of one it prob have a stuffed thread in it

I know I had one in a GH I ran around in for 2 years and theres one in my race car atm and I've had no issues with ether
for a box that is shit or week could someonr tell me what issues they have had with them
cheater
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Well when i told a friend of mine i got a scorpion he was telling me bout his mate who had a sigma as a first car they were driving home from school and the gear stick and selector shaft came completely out of the gear box when he went to change gears thats all ive heard bout them.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Same here with the B/W shifter removal...
Had to drive it back to my brothers workshop (25k away) using only 2nd, and 4th because I was using a 1/2" extension bar from my socket set instead of the gearstick.

NOT FUN in city traffic.

PS: if you re-tap the thread for a larger bolt, you will need to drill the lockout plate which is hardened. Just use a NEW masonary drill bit. It works well.

Cheers.
stealth

Post by stealth »

cheater every single borg warner sigle rail g/box ive driven hard
ive ended up with the hole shifter in my hand and at that point you
may as well throw it out the window
there a pile of sh-t
and dont ever try left foot brake under full accel because that will snap the
main shaft or put 200hp through and watch the casing spilt
hit a ripple strip full noise strip every tooth of the gear your in
i will NEVER use one again :twisted:
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

well I've found a guy wreckin a sigma (looks like GH from the tail lights, but not sure). It's got 280K but it's manual. He's offering me the engine (2.6L) and transmission for $120 (pretty sure it includes the clutch too, although at those kms, i'm guessing it will be shagged lol).

Sounds like a decent price to me. I wouldn't put it in straight away as I'd wait until I get the galant reg'd and have cleaned and detailed the engine etc, but yeah I thought it a reasonable price. I've told him I'll get back to him though. What do you think?
Also, what do you think are a good price for GSR 4 spoke alloys (full set)?
Cheers,
Jer
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

stealth wrote:cheater every single borg warner sigle rail g/box ive driven hard
ive ended up with the hole shifter in my hand and at that point you
may as well throw it out the window
there a pile of sh-t
and dont ever try left foot brake under full accel because that will snap the
main shaft or put 200hp through and watch the casing spilt
hit a ripple strip full noise strip every tooth of the gear your in
i will NEVER use one again :twisted:
cheers stealth 8-)
its funny I've never had a gear shift come out on me
I also have not tried left foot braking under full noise and havn't found a track where I've needed to
the 2.6 isn't a huge power house but I'm guessing it has a bit more than 200 neddys and the cases are still in tack
and I seem to stay off the ripple strips it only unsettles the car
and I must say the only reason I put one in I needed the car going to do my cams OLT but its still in there and going strong
maybe I'm a little gental on the box ,they are stronger than some of the things that I have had to improve on
I have a mate that races an EH holden in historics - try building a crash 1st early 3 speed to handle 147 rwkw

I have a narrow jap 5 speed with the larger shafts ready to go back in and will do so when the engine is rebuilt - also trying it with extra synchro springs 2 each side of the hub instead of one, hopefully it will push the keys harder into the drum and get a bit more force onto the synchro ring - might be better on quicker changes
cheater
webby

Post by webby »

Both my GE and GJ Scorpion's have Jap 'boxes, can't tell you about GH's though, mine hasn't got a drivetrain :P
Pretty sure they all had Jap 'boxes though?
BTW, I had a GK with a 2.6/BW 5 speed that broke an input shaft during a spirited drive on some of the dirt backroads around here. Just some food for thought
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889