Tuff auto conversion

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
psshhhht

Re: Tuff auto conversion

Post by psshhhht »

lol i love how people bag out auto as non cornering cars... they make no difference to cornering ability, unless drifting, and even then they can still be made to work (sorta)... I remember a few years ago some guy was doing pretty well drifting a MK II Toyota with a auto
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
webby

Post by webby »

Dude, it was a joke. No bagging intended. I have no probs with autos, provided they're used for the correct application (city driving, drag racing). I just prefer manuals, that's all :D
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

i know it was a joke, it just reminded me of some of the stuff I have heard said seriously, so it wasn't specifically aimed at you, just your joke prompted me :) I prefer manual too, although I am getting lazy these days!
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

I agree manual is alot more fun but with age comes lazyness which is y i 2 am thinkin of leaving my scorp auto just manualising it but then again theres nothing like clutch kickin a car sideway round a smooth bend ;) decisions decisions :roll:

And there are actually a few drift cars here in sydney that are auto but fully manualised seems to be cheaper than having to upgrade your whole driveline for something that will hold.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah, just means that you have to master the art of weight shift and/or just use the handbrake every single time, if you stick with the auto for drift. If you're just doing it for fun, no problem, but if you're intending to enter comps, the judges don't like it when people use handbrake on ever corner lol
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

psshhhht wrote:yeah, just means that you have to master the art of weight shift and/or just use the handbrake every single time, if you stick with the auto for drift. If you're just doing it for fun, no problem, but if you're intending to enter comps, the judges don't like it when people use handbrake on ever corner lol
True about the handbrake but its not always needed and the weight shift method ur talking bout is referred to as a feint there was a guy who actually competed at initial drift days with an auto and did well i think he placed 4th once.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

hey guys talking alittle out of school here, not knowing heaps about autos from experience, but reading heaps.

the C4 can gobble up heaps of Hp ??

The rotory boys are using the old Holden TH350
with raised stall, manualised shift and stronger internals yeah??

I dont know, just another option...

Prob need an adaptor plate, flex plate so you can use the starter.......

Cheers
D
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Most of the rotary's that I know of are using a Jatco or C4 I have never seen a T350 bolted to a rotor but there is no reason why it can't be done. This is a snippet from another forum the guy who wrote it is very well versed with transmissions.

power loss

Powerglide_____18 hp
TH-350________36 hp
TH-400________44 hp
Ford_C-6______55-60 hp
Ford_C-4______28 hp
Ford_FMX______25 hp
Chrysler_A904__25 hp
Chrysler_727___45 hp

All these figures are with standard style thrust washers this will change a hell of a lot when the box is rollerised. I had a good look at Al's race glides the other day the stuff they are doing with the C4's is very interesting. There is not much on there web page but when you stop in they are more than willing to have a chat and go through it with you. There billet components are the best I have seen.

cheers Mic
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

webby wrote:Auto's are for people who can't turn corners :P

Ha! Corners are just there to link up the straights!

I've come into this thread way too late, but you boys seem to have it covered. Auto is the way to go, the biggest plus is there is no stupid clutch to wear out. My Powerglide has been in my wagon for close to 10 years now, done stacks of dyno pulls, heaps of passes, I just change the oil after every meet and it's perfect. Drives beautifully and transbrake burnouts will convert any manual diehard.

Freeway cruising is no problem, have to remember these cars aren't the weight of xy falcons. (even though my XY only weighs 1320kg)

Yes you will have to beef up the flex plate, I've broken 3 now, but my current one is twice as thick and no problems. 390hp

W series toyota boxes will not handle the torque of a high hp astron. I killed one behind my 13b bridgeport rx2, 160hp at the wheels.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

webby wrote:Auto's are for people who can't turn corners :P
I see it more as autos are for people that don't want to drive. My current daily driver is an auto, and it has made me so lazy when driving. I also hate autos cause I don't want some smart-arsed machine telling me when it thinks it should change gears. Autos are good for when you HAVE to drive, Manuals are good for when you WANT to drive.
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

What's so bad about autos? I guess each to their own.
Manuals to me are for underpowered N/A sigmas that need a down shift to get the wheels to spin. Or a scandy kick to get the tail out.
When your got a engine and auto set up making good power its enjoyable to drive in any gear its in.
If your got a jap 5 speed or starion box and it's holding up. Your not making enough power. :lol:
lpgalant

Post by lpgalant »

S1GMARE wrote:What's so bad about autos? I guess each to their own.
Manuals to me are for underpowered N/A sigmas that need a down shift to get the wheels to spin. Or a scandy kick to get the tail out.
When your got a engine and auto set up making good power its enjoyable to drive in any gear its in.
If your got a jap 5 speed or starion box and it's holding up. Your not making enough power. :lol:
respect........................aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
69 vf valiant coupe 225 efi turbo
74 gc galant 2.6 stroker 3.0
lpg c10 9 inch gt 4088 roller
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

S1GMARE wrote:What's so bad about autos? I guess each to their own.

HAHA This comment should be on the homepage.
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Ok i am a manual person but have owned a few tuff autos. I found my old supercharged XU-1 was much more fun when it was manual but i did break a few m21s :oops: When i went to the trimatic and a 2500rpm stally i found the car was much harder to drive around town. I never broke the auto, but the car lost a lot of the fun factor.
I just think a manual is fine for 90% of people out there unless, you are chasing huge power and are into pushing the limits of the drivetrain in some form of motorsport.

It's just a personal preference, not a who is right or wrong arguement imo.
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

At 270wkw the auto starts to become fun and the car is a lot easier to drive on the street just need some decent tyres.

cheers Mic
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Plus - 300 metre, top gear burnouts rule the universe. :D
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

For mega hp auto wins. Having a bolt on proper auto is handy too(904) specially when your paying wrecker prices for the box :D.

I'l stick with my little girly powers (currently135kw on 6psi) and jap 5spd in the galant.
At most il have around 180rwkw once the wolf3d is on an tuned with some more boost, and that will be right at the limit of the box and scorp diff(or past it). With gently driving it should be fine and boxes are still available so no big deal if you break one, i can change one in under 2 hours by myself anyways. Rear end of the car is pretty light and I'm not going to run alot of tyre to try to give the drivetrain some hope of surviving.
webby

Post by webby »

Meh, too much powahz just gets you into trouble faster :P
I'll be happy with a warm EFI 2.6, I don't see the point in anything more for street duties crossed with the odd drifty and track day
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889