clutch problem

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
shuggy

clutch problem

Post by shuggy »

hey in need of some help - i really dont want to remove the box to have a look to find out its something small - but i dont think it is.

last night i was driving and all of a sudden it was rough pushing the clutch in. so i turned the car off and pushed the clutch in - it was smooth
so tried it with car stoped, engine running, and it was rough again
went to take off and had a lot of clutch shudder, but once its out it has a heap of grip (dropped it in 4th while moving to check)
and it makes a funny sound other than the shudder also while the clutch is semi in

i checked the thrust bearing and its spinning freely no issues, but it was dark so couldnt see the fingers..

but with the car stopped that means that the problem must be engine side correct? anything from the thrust bearing to the spigot bearing?
however i parked and went down to the beach, came back a while later when it had cooled down and when i took off it was fine, seemed to be when it warmed up it started again WTF!?

im really confused as wether the thrust bearing isnt sitting flush with the fingers, the clutch plate friction material has come away from the plate itself, the pressure plate has warped, the spigot bearing has come out, the flywheel bolts are loose or rear big end has gone.. (please no)

anybody else experienced this?

if it makes a difference i installed the clutch myself when i did the engine change - well over a year ago now, and no issues except for the odd high pitch squeaking evry now and then for a few days..

i will get under there with a torch tomoro and have a look but need some advice - and no one say remove the engine coz i really dont have time :thumpsup:
colta51

Re: clutch problem

Post by colta51 »

maby a spring popt out the clutch? its common falt on 180b datsuns!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

out of the disk you mean? what effect would this have? how does the spring affect the feel of the clutch?
colta51

Post by colta51 »

i cant explane it but it happend to my mates old datsun and was like you described but i cood be way off?
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh im thinkin that could be it.. just dont understand why there are vibrations when i have t clutch in tho.. like roughness..
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

ok so the tough clutch and the shuddering stopped.. now its back to normal, however when i push the clutch in and rev it slightly it sounds like there is a piece of metal in the clutch housing rattling around - as if it was tough to push in because somethinin the the pressure plate had failed and now its falled off and is just sitting in there.. it sounds like a 5 cent coin is in there

hard to hear on here but have a look

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4092/72537727.mp4
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

i reckon the cusion springs have jumped out of the clutch plate.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

that was my initial thought. what effect will this have on the clutch?

but how would thi affect clutch feel when pushing the clutch in

wen it got hot it used to get really sticky to depress and release and it shudderes a heap.

maybe the spring got jammed in the pressure plate somewhere?
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Pull the gearbox off and inspect before any potentially worse damage can occer??
A112H

Post by A112H »

^^^ What Dan said, park it and find the issue. The last thing you want to do is keep driving on a hunch and have it let go causing more damage and cost. Sounds to me like a spring or finger let go, but if there is something floating around in there you don't want it to get stuck somewhere and thrash it out.
Get it in the driveway and drop the box.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i dont know if im going to have the time, i have a hoist i can use but its pissing down with rain now and i have to drive 4 hours south saturday morning.. fingers crossed
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Box in and out should only be 1.5hours work then the clutch looksee. you should be able to do it in the evening one night after work. definately dont drive with it like this it will hurt when it goes bang.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeah i know i really should.. will see what i can do otherwise il have to take my fuel guzzler :/
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Take the other car mate,
Abit of extra fuel will be cheaper and easier than getting half way down, or back, and having to pay for a Tow,
or waiting for someone to come with a Float.
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

I know this is well and truly old news, but did u end up finding an issue? Does it still get sticky when it warms up?