Jap 5sp conversion info, galant and lancer

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Jap 5sp conversion info, galant and lancer

Post by astronturbo77 »

okay guys in relation to 75wagons 'we are growing, what can we do to help' im going to start making some threads on common conversions to old mitsubishi vehicles. Im starting with the jap 5sp conversion.

This thread will be made and the best possible pics taken to help out members with this conversion. For some pics and info that may be beyond my reach Im hoping that other members can help out by posting up the required pics and if i have missed anything. Then after all the correct info has been edited to the original post ill get Dave to lock the thread and clean it up. :D

Installing a 5sp gearbox to your Galant or Lancer

Firstly you need to find yourself a Sigma 5sp gearbox. The most suitable gearbox is from any Sigma other than a GN model. The Sigma must be a 2.0 as 2.6 manuals are wideblock and will not fit. However, 2.6's come in wide (manual) and narrow (auto or front drive) so to check the gearbox just to make sure. Measure.

narrow- 310mm
wide-330mm

use this link to find the differences between wide and narrow Mitsubishi Astron engines -insert link here-

Also to identify if the engine is a Astron or Saturn (Saturn engines were available in some early model GE sigmas) please look for stickers on the aircleaner assembly, and for either 4G32,4G52, or 4G54 cast below or around the starter motor area.
please note that all Astron engines are chain driven and early sigma 1600 engines were belt driven.

Saturn engine- 1300-4g30, 1400-4G33, 1500-4G31, 1600cc-4G32, 1750-4G35
Astron engine- 1850cc-4G50, 2000cc-4G52, 2600cc-4G54

There are two differences between sigma gearboxes,
Japanese 5sp- more commonly referred to as the Jap 5sp
Borg warner 5sp.

The Borg Warner gearbox is very well known for its unreliability, lack of strength, hard shifting and wont fit into a early model galant or lancer because of its size and fouls the transmission tunnel.

The Jap 5sp gearbox is a far more superior box than the Borg Warner, it is more commonly used for Galants and Lancers as it is physically smaller and has better strength, reliability, and shift feel. it is also a slightly different version of the Galant 4sp manual gearbox.

Here are the two gearboxes, note the obvious differences
-Jap 5sp narrow block

-Borg Warner
more info at:
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3569

Okay so once you have a suitable gearbox you can start fitting it to the car. Below is a list of the parts you will need to complete the conversion.

parts
-Rear gearbox mount- mackay part number-A2612 (also found listed as 5 speed mount for LB/LC Lancer Hatch)
-manual gearbox crossmember (if converting from auto to manual)
-clutch and pressure plate if converting from auto
-clutch cable
-weld in clutch cable hole in firewall
-spigoit bearing

Gearbox Removal/ Installation
-disconnect battery

-remove the center console from inside the vehicle

-remove the three 10mm head bolts that hold the gear shift onto the extension housing

-make sure car is SAFELY jacked up and on APPROVED JACK STANDS

-drain the gearbox oil before removing tailshaft.

-disconnect reverse light wires

-disconnect speedo drive by undoing threaded collar

-undo all bellhousing bolts except leave one finger tight.

-remove starter motor

-remove flywheel stone guard

-remove clutch cable from bracket on gearbox

-support the weight of the engine when undoing the rear gearbox crossmember by either a jack under the gearbox itself of a small piece of wood under the engine sump and crossmember.

-remove rear gearbox mount bolts

-make sure there is AT LEAST 1 bellhousing bolt left in, otherwise gearbox may fall causing injury.

-(if car is automatic, remove flex plate bolts through starter motor hole or flywheel cover hole)

-support box with a trolley jack and wiggle free from engine, you may need to use a screw driver between the engine and box to encourage it to move.

-once the old box is out, visually check the clutch for condition and replace if neccesary.

-if your vehicle is auto, remove the flex plate ant install new flywheel and clutch assembly

-okay so now the old 4sp or 3sp auto is out you will now need to slightly trim the trans tunnel hole back approx 15-20mm as the 5sp gearbox shifter is set toward the back of the car further.

-see photos-

-install the gearbox in the reverse order to how it was removed.

-please note that rear main oil seal should be checked for leaks at this time.
clutch throw out bearing should be checked for smooth operation and also clutch fork etc

when installing the 5sp the new gearbox mount should be installed into the crossmember.

note: 4sp/ 5sp rear mounts are essentially the same except for the bolt spacing.
-see photos-

-when installing the gearbox crossmember, you will notice the xmember sits further back and wont line up with the original threaded holes in the outer chassis rails.

-there are three tapped holes on each chassis rail, the forward two are used for the 4sp gearbox, and simply move the crossmember back one hole for the 5sp and it will bolt up.

see photos-insert here-

-only other modification required is to the gearstick hole in the transmission tunnel. It is located further rearward in the car. This can be fixed by cutting the same size hole in a new piece of steel, lengthening the original hole in the transmission tunnel and then use silicone and rivets to fix the new piece of steel in the required place. That way you can use you original rubber gearstick boot.

-please note removal and installation procedures are only a rough guide, if in any doubt consult a work shop manual, or a mechanic.

so can member please tell me if i have missed anything and im happy to add it or re phrase it. Also need photos for parts.
Last edited by astronturbo77 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
astronturbo77

Re: Jap 5sp conversion info, galant and lancer

Post by astronturbo77 »

cheers mate, if any members have any info or think i have stated something wrong please tell me. the more info the better, then i can re edit it. :D
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

if you have the time...im pretty sure there are a few pictures on threads displaying the differences between the boxes and stuff...and if you want to collaborate all of the information you can find and we can get this made into a sticky post or added to some sort of a index
paully77galant

Post by paully77galant »

thanks for that info is gonna help greatly, however... is the rear crossmember mount different from the 4to the 5 speed? and will the clutch cable from the 4 work on the 5?
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey buddy you brought that grille off me ages ago?

the clutch cable bolts/hooks straight up.

The rear crossmember is of the same design, except the mounting holes are spaced futher apart center to center. the mount if from a 5sp Lc lancer.
paully77galant

Post by paully77galant »

yeah i did get the grille from ya. i've got the 5 box now but i've got to find the LC crossmember to fit it do you know if its possible to modify the 4 speed mount to fit it? and will the shifter from the 4 speed fit?
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

the mount i have listed bolts directly into the 4sp crossmember, no mods required!
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

astronturbo77,
I think this is a great idea. it helps others out greatly.
narrow- 310mm
wide-330mm
Just an idea. maybe a pic with a line across it so people know where they need to be measuring it from.

Another thing, when you cut out the floor for the gear stick, if you cut it out so it's the same shape as the piece you need to weld in the front then you can re-use it.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I owned a LB Lancer hatch and fitted up a jap 5 spd. I swapped the extension housing from the original 4 spd with the 5 spd and bolted the sucker straight in- no hatchet work required! The gearbox crossmember mount wasn't that simple- I turned the holes in the mount into slots to accomodate the wider bolt pattern. Ugly, but it worked...
A112H

Post by A112H »

I turned the holes in the mount into slots to accomodate the wider bolt pattern. Ugly, but it worked...
I am thinking I will do the same :)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Just a mo... I didn't have to swap the extension housing to fit up the 5 (was thinking about this as I had done this ages ago) It was a straight bolt in, but you could get around the hatchet by sourcing a gearbox mount from an LC as these came out with a 5 speed as standard. S.O.S. in need of the gearbox x- member from your dead hatch Cottees! There's not a lot of metal left around the through holes when I filed them, it was dodgy at best so sourcing the right mount would be wise...
A112H

Post by A112H »

You are probably right, I will hit up Cottee's see if he has a spare.
Years ago when I put the 2.6 and 5spd out of a GH inot a LA Coupe I cut both mounts up and welded them into one that fit, lol. I did make my own tail shaft in the conversion too :lol:
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

When going from auto to manual there's the wires for the auto shifter what do I do with these as it doesn't start if it's not connected ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

There are wires that go to the shifter so it knows it is in park or neutral to start, and there are reverse light wires.
Connect the wires for the shifter so it thinks it's in park, and run the reverse wires under the floor and hook them up to your reverse light switch.

Check your manual to see exactly which ones are which.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
YOBURGS

Post by YOBURGS »

HELP ANYONE?
Hi guys, I need help pls?

I have a 1600 Mitsubishi 4G32 Saturn Engine (timing chain/star on the timing cover) on my jeep that originally came mated to a KM110 4 speed, a 4.11 diff and 195/60 r14x7J tires.
I upgraded to a 5 speed manual and the transmission bolted right on.

I'm in the process of figuring out what transmission do I have so I can figure out the ratios without having to dismantle it since I'm going to upgrade my rearend and tires combo soon.
Heres the deal, I dont know if I have a KM 119, there are no serial numbers stamped on my 5speed on either side except the number "2A" under the shifter assembly, and the numbers 41484 before the vent hole at the top, just before the shifter assembly.

How do I figure this out?
YOBURGS

Post by YOBURGS »

By the way, Its a 5speed JAP BOX, just like the one pictured above.

SHARE THE WORD: CHEERS!!!
YOBURGS@: ADF.LY: http://adf.ly/?id=2577814 and http://adf.ly/DcqwW