KM132 5 speed (jap box INFO)

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
GC75
Admin

KM132 5 speed (jap box INFO)

Post by GC75 »

Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
cheaterparts

Re: KM132 5 speed (jap box INFO)

Post by cheaterparts »

Here is another KM 132 manual
pages 21-1 to 21-31

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/ ... omatic.pdf

although it is for the KM132-M-CNL starion box most info is the same for all km132 boxs
apart from the taper roller lay shaft bearings
cheater
camB

Post by camB »

Hi guys, I think I'm reading too much and confusing myself. :think:
I don't need a new Jap 5 speed to swap into my old Sigma as it already had one when I bought it (21 years ago). What I do need to do is refurbish the poor old thing as it makes all sorts of noises! (Mostly bearings and end float(?) from reading these articles...)

My question is about what to get in terms of a rebuild kit? There seem to be numerous different ones for different sub-models of the KM132 gearbox.
I hate sounding like one of those, "I can't be bothered just give me the f#@ken answer!" people, but could someone point me in the right direction? For example, does one of these suit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220700568930
Is there a kit which has everything I need?

Thanks in advance.
Cam
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

camB wrote:For example, does one of these suit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220700568930
No this is for an early Starion/Triton/Pajero gearbox.

Most likely it's this kit.

This kit looks like it's for the early Lancer/Galant gearboxes possibly???

Great find BTW..

Cheers.
camB

Post by camB »

Thanks for the steer - Going by the exploded view in my Gregorys manual it's the one with single ball bearings on input and main shafts.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Great find - how does anybody recommend going about choosing one of the two kits mentioned above if the box you have could have come from anywhere? One i have is stock lancer, however the other is probably off a 2L.. no idea.

Although - looking at the two, they are ideantical, however the cheaper one has one extra bearing?
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

or is thata thrust bearing?
camB

Post by camB »

Same number of bearings - but back left one in picture of cheaper one must be the "35BVV072 Double Ball Bearing for the Rear Mainshaft".

Nothing like that in my Gregorys exploded view however.

Of course, mine's a '78 "Galant" model GE Sigma and so probably never came with the 2 litre and 5 speed to begin with :think: So who knows what's inside the bloody thing!! Was hoping to have everything ready to go rather than pull it out and then order stuff from the States.

EDIT: Yup, compliance plate says it had a 1.6 & 4sp manual when it began life.
camB

Post by camB »

Righto people, the time has come to bite the bullet.
  • 1) Rebuild kit has arrived: new synchro's, bearings, and seals.
    2) Spare time allocated: I've managed to wangle Tues/Wed - is two days realistic?
    3) Stuff not included in kit: am I dreaming to think I can re-use roll pins, circlips, etc?
    4)Gears: What if mine are f*%ked when I pull it down? Are they available?
Thanks for any advice,
Cam
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

camB wrote:Rebuild kit has arrived: new synchro's, bearings, and seals.
Where did you end up getting one from? The US from Ebay?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
camB

Post by camB »

Yup. Bought whilst dollar high so costs less posted here than in the States. :)

Any idea on questions 3 or 4 anyone?
coop1er

Post by coop1er »

Hi. I would like to try to answer your questions, but first must admit I have never built a km132. I have however built numerous other boxes.

How long it takes to build will depend on your ability/experience and access to tools and whether you have all the parts you need.

Some parts you can reuse ie. rollpins. It is a good practise to replace circlips and in some gearboxes, circlps are available in different thicknesses to help set up the box correctly.

You will have almost no chance of buying new parts like gears, hubs, sliders or shafts I would think. Most likely you will have to strip another gearbox if you need them.
camB

Post by camB »

Thanks heaps.

Have access to a full auto workshop, haven't done a gearbox myself (everything else on the poor old thing tho) but have someone helping who has done holden boxes.
We'll see how we go when the guts are open.

Thanks again.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This might sound stupid, but take plenty of photos as you take it apart. That way if you forget (or haven't paid enough attention) when you go to put it back together, then it'll make it heaps easier for you.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
camB

Post by camB »

Oh yeah. Waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you there. :P
camB

Post by camB »

Bought another box from Evans Auto Wreckers and it was in way better shape than mine. Still thought I may as well strip and rebuild it seeing as I have the new bearings and synchro's. 8-)

Well, it's dismantled and I have a bagillion pictures. Is it worth me setting up a thread with pictures of each step?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

camB wrote:Is it worth me setting up a thread with pictures of each step?
I wouldn't mind if you did?
I haven't pulled one of these boxes down yet, and I haven't pulled a box apart since I sold my Datsun 1200 back in 1992.
It would be good to refresh the memory :thumpsup:
camB

Post by camB »

Superscan811 wrote:
camB wrote:For example, does one of these suit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220700568930
No this is for an early Starion/Triton/Pajero gearbox.

Most likely it's this kit.
Yep, you were right, it's definitely this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270955489412
The spare box I bought to rebuild is from a 2litre GJ Sigma, but I assume it's the same (except for the shifter position) as what's behind my 2litre.

All other bearings match so no great hardship. Lewis Bearings in Thomastown appear to have one and I'll see if they want the spare NACHI 6207-N as it says on their website that they buy surplus bearings. :)
leen

Post by leen »

Does anyone know the size of the front seal?
leen

Post by leen »

After searching the internet for a while with no success I turned around and lo and behold in my own library I have a PAYEN Japanese oil seal book which lists all the seal sizes.So KM132 gearbox front seal size is 25/35/6 Mitsubishi part no. is K613229-2.Rear is 32/48/8 or 10 ,K615323-2.These seals fit alot of the different g/boxs.This book is up to 1997 if anyone want more info.