Starion LSD on Scorpion GH?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Xaser

Starion LSD on Scorpion GH?

Post by Xaser »

hi, i have this gear box (Diff = 3.909)

And my chassis is A123H ( multi link rear suspention)

I saw the LSD for a Starion ( 3.55:1)

do you have if is fix on my car? :oops: :oops:

GS/R power
Xaser

Re: Starion LSD on Scorpion GH?

Post by Xaser »

anyone knows? :oops: :oops:

GS/R power
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

oh man good idea, but alot to check really.
Taking a different car with Independant rear centre and trying to mate it with a live axle centre prob wont work, but hey stranger stuff has happened!

Ok have you still got the original Sigma centre handy?
Ull need to pull the back plate off the housing on the Starion centre, but dont pull the centre apart just yet.
If you cant use it, you may be able to sell it, so dont pull it to pieces just now.

Ok first things to look at, the Physical sizes of the diff housings.
Is the Sigma Housing big enough to accomidate the Starion Crown Wheel (Biggest main Gear)

If the Crown wheel is too small, or the bearing are different the crown wheel may sitt too far away from the Pinion gear(the gear driven from the Tailshaft) to make contact and so wont be any good.

Do the Pinion gears match up, Different ratios will mean different gear teeth, which willmean differnt sizes. You would Probably have to swap the Pinion gears which then you have to be able to mate the starion Pinion gear to the Yoke shaft (no likely with out major changes)

Measure how far apart the the diff centers Bearings are, do they line up with the bearing races in the housing, do they have the same degeree angle etc.

Do the axles match up? are they the same length with the different Centres, are they the same Pattern on the inner side of the axle.
If it is the Independant rear diff that i think it is, then no way.
So either changes to the centre of the axles will be required.

Sorry to seem negative but not sounding too easy so far....
Really hope it bolts straight in for you.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Import scorps (sapparo's) had starion type IRS rear ends in them. I don't know if Aust floor pans have the mounts fitted?
Ask the scorp boys they will know.........but it should go close to fitting, if you have the whole subframe.

If you are just talking about fitting the LSD to the standard scorpion housing, thats a different matter.
If its out of a JA-JB starion the gearset and LSD will, but your axles won't match the LSD and you can't get side gears for them.
If its a JD starion LSD, it won't fit! there to big (same as Pajero)
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

the mounts for the irs aren't in the aussie scorpions, you need an import model.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

remember this guy aint Aussie, he's from Argentina or something like that, from memory.
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

The IRS rear end of a Starion will go in a GJ/K Scorp but not a GE/H model which you have.

And yeah the drive shafts - axle will deffinately be different.

Might have to start looking at converting to front wheel drive. jk
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

sigmare wrote:

i thought sigmas were factory fwd??
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

Sigmare would a starion irs rear end fit into a GL Scorpion?? i was pretty sure it couldnt cos the mounts weren't there etc

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

DanTurboLancer wrote:oh man good idea, but alot to check really.
Taking a different car with Independant rear centre and trying to mate it with a live axle centre prob wont work, but hey stranger stuff has happened!

Ok have you still got the original Sigma centre handy?
Ull need to pull the back plate off the housing on the Starion centre, but dont pull the centre apart just yet.
If you cant use it, you may be able to sell it, so dont pull it to pieces just now.

Ok first things to look at, the Physical sizes of the diff housings.
Is the Sigma Housing big enough to accomidate the Starion Crown Wheel (Biggest main Gear)

If the Crown wheel is too small, or the bearing are different the crown wheel may sitt too far away from the Pinion gear(the gear driven from the Tailshaft) to make contact and so wont be any good.

Do the Pinion gears match up, Different ratios will mean different gear teeth, which willmean differnt sizes. You would Probably have to swap the Pinion gears which then you have to be able to mate the starion Pinion gear to the Yoke shaft (no likely with out major changes)

Measure how far apart the the diff centers Bearings are, do they line up with the bearing races in the housing, do they have the same degeree angle etc.

Do the axles match up? are they the same length with the different Centres, are they the same Pattern on the inner side of the axle.
If it is the Independant rear diff that i think it is, then no way.
So either changes to the centre of the axles will be required.

Sorry to seem negative but not sounding too easy so far....
Really hope it bolts straight in for you.
Thanks mate.
dont wqorry about the negative, if add i from Argentina, this conversion if to hard, becouse i havetu buy the Starion Diff in USA/UK/AUS, becouse here dosnt Exist :(

I try to get a Automatic Rear Diff, becouse ir more "large" gears

Thnks a lot!
sigmare wrote:The IRS rear end of a Starion will go in a GJ/K Scorp but not a GE/H model which you have.

And yeah the drive shafts - axle will deffinately be different.

A Scorpion FWD is like a Kangaroo In chair Wheels!!! :lol: :lol:
psshhhht wrote:remember this guy aint Aussie, he's from Argentina or something like that, from memory.
Yeap, From Argentina, thanks!

GS/R power
RXCORP

Post by RXCORP »

axel splines on the scorpion are the same as the Small LSD JA and JB Starion (rare to find) Big LSD's from JB and JD are the same also. In the US they can get the bigger LSD's also which has more splines in them. Can be done just need some machining done to accept the bearings for a scorpion.

Might as well throw in a Pajero diff in.