Galant Diffs

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Galant Diffs

Post by EVL076 »

hands up who knew the galants run a couple of different diff housings?
and therefore a couple of different Bearing sizes, Axle Sizes, Backing Plate/ Drum Sizes....

my hand is up now, only after pulling the diff out of the white one to put the locker in it yesty
i was gonna just change the whole drum assembly over to the locker (cos it had no brakes at all on it)

so i pulls the locker apart, cleaned up the housing, painted it all up nice... pulls the std diff apart, goes to fit the backing plates up, and see that the mount flange for it, is bout 15mm thick on the std diff and bout 6mm on the locker..

didnt think much of it at the time, until i have the axles sitting side by side and notice the std ones were a bit thicker than the axle from the locker... hmmm strange... measured the spline, yep same, goes to put axle in, and then notices that the bearing is about 10mm bigger than the other one :?

so, it became pull the locker centre out, fit in the other housing, and reassemble the original housing and put it back under the galant with the locked centre... and after all that, i couldnt really be fucked cleaning another housing and painting it lol so it went back in with 30 years of road grime and shit all over it still :lol: :lol:

so yeah, i have never seen any differences in them before, until yesty.. i have just been lucky i guess, all my spare axles are the small bearing, so now i gotta hunt a couple more big bearing axles, cos im pretty sure they wont last long at powercruise :mrgreen:

anyone else came across the same sorta problem? - might be a difference between a GC diff and a GD diff? cos i know the locker was oringinally out of a GC (many moons ago, when jasons 8 second rotor galant, was running a std 2.6 :lol: :lol: )
Image Image
GB_BB4C

Re: Galant Diffs

Post by GB_BB4C »

Might have been a Wagon diff. I think there is a difference between sedan and wagon drums, cant be too sure as havn't looked at the brakes in a while.

Isn't the white one a sports version it may have had bigger brakes. I'm really just guessing here so i could be completely wrong, just throwing out some ideas.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

different housings, different axles and bearings, different rear brakes, Im pretty sure the info is on the old site.......
Roger
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey brett, yeah man i found this out the hard way a while back when i broke an axel after a few skids. :D as far as i now between gc/d the only differences is between wag and sedan diffs. wags obviously have bigger drums,a and they are slightly longer in housing width, the axels are dirrent in diameter, bearing size, and lenght. but as far as i know all the diff centers interchange. 8-)
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

Yeah its sedan and wagon.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

FWIW, you may find that the wagon leafs are wider than the sedan ones too - they are on GAs.....
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
panda

Post by panda »

Typical Mitsubishi, no 2 models have interchangeable parts, but luckily there are a few exceptions, it just takes a knowledgable forum member to find them. (I'm not one of them) :)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]