Tailshaft question

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Taz

Tailshaft question

Post by Taz »

Quick search hasn't really helped so ill ask quickly here.
Putting a 4g54 and matching box into the LC lancer from a sigma im told, and was wondering if its a straight bolt in or the box is shorter/longer etc and tailshaft will need to be modified to suit? Manual to a manual. From a 32 to a 54.
Cheers
stealth

Re: Tailshaft question

Post by stealth »

If its the same gbox yes
But there are many different gboxs as in shifter spots
So depends on if its the exact same box you will have no problem
Make sure there the same
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

No idea, i pick it up from newcastle in a few weeks. Guy is overseas so i wont know will its back here next month. Good to know theres at least a possibility its a bolt in job.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Its possible, I got a couple of different options here , ready made at least two different tailshafts , if it doesn't work , before you go getting one made to suit
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What box will you be running?
Jap wide block 5 speeds have a larger spline than that on the narrow block (just change the front spline over).
If the 2.6 and 5 speed are from an early GE/GH Sigma the box will have short shifter location (same as Lancer 5 speed).
If the 2.6 and 5 speed are from a late GJ onwards Sigma the box will have long shifter location (you'll be hacking up you trans tunnel).
If it's a Borg Warner your tail shaft will be a different length. I have a modded tail shaft here to suit BW with long shifter location, and a fully reco'd 5 speed I would like to sell (best offer gets it). I have the receipts, never used, $550 spent just on the box.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Taz

Post by Taz »

Hmm yea no idea just told from a sigma. If it helps this is a pic of it - not much to see but it might help looks different than my little 5 speed 4g32 box. My box is horrible and grinds 3rd if shifted hard and needs a reco or replacement. buying this together was the next best thing so if i can feasably make it work then thats what ill do. Ill also be strapping a turbo to it so if say this box pictured is stronger than my one ill have more motivation to make it work etc.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, from that pic, I know it's a Jap box,
has Astron 2 head,
has the shorter shifter location,

What 'I' can't tell from that pic. If it's wide or narrow block.

Question is, how long has it been out in the open like that?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Taz

Post by Taz »

No idea, ive been told it was fresh pulled and in good running order.
Not fussed on wide or narrow block as its going in how it is together. As long as the shifter location will still poke through my centre console im happy.
Will find out in a few weeks when i go to pick it up i guess
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Pretty sure if its short extension shifter location it will fit?
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yes, a short shifter location will fit in a factory 5 speed LC hatch gearstick hole.

Dave...