Automatic to manual conversion

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
leoca64

Automatic to manual conversion

Post by leoca64 »

Was just wondering how easy to do?.
Car I may be getting is a GJ scorp (auto).Already have the engine and gearbox (GN manual).
I would naturally have been looking for a manual one but the body on this one is so good.

Cheers!
Taz

Re: Automatic to manual conversion

Post by Taz »

Not sure how different it is to a lancer but the annual box was shorter and had to modify the gearbox mount to sit forward further. Might have to well a small tunnel on the outer firewall to support the clutch cable adjuster if it's not hydraulic. Centre console will have to be changed as well. Should be all you have to do I'd imagine.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Engine/gearbox from GJ to GN is a good match and should be a straight bolt in.

Possible issue are:
1. Speedo cable.
2. Reverse light switch.
3. Pedal box.
4. IF you are using a BW gearbox, you will also have an issue with the tailshaft.

For the pedal box/speedo cable, a trip to the wreckers for a GJ onward sigma/scorpion, but not the wagons, would be your best bet.

Don't forget the the auto Park/Neutral ignition lockout switch. It's great for a hidden ignition kill switch for the manual conversion.

Cheers.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Just had a bit more of a think on this and the tailshaft will be an issue either way.

Best scenario is that you are going to be using a Jap 5-speed gearbox, because the correct tailshaft will be easy to locate.

BW box to Jap diff isn't standard but Jap box to Jap diff is.

Cheers.
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

[quoteJust had a bit more of a think on this and the tailshaft will be an issue either way.

Best scenario is that you are going to be using a Jap 5-speed gearbox, because the correct tailshaft will be easy to locate.

BW box to Jap diff isn't standard but Jap box to Jap diff is.
][/quote]

thanks mate ...I actually got a tailshaft with the engine .Along with other items for a conversion
It was all installed in a GE sigma I think.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

GE sigma have either a BW diff or Jap 8 bolt. Either way, the flange is different to the later 10 bolt Jap diffs in the GH onward Scorps, along with a different bolt size.

While I would normally point you to Shaun (Scorpion Collector), his recent passing has been a sever blow to all of us in the Sigma-Galant community, and I would ask that his family not be approached at this time for what they would deem a trivial request, especially with what they are going through at the moment.

Regards,
Scott B.
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

GE sigma have either a BW diff or Jap 8 bolt. Either way, the flange is different to the later 10 bolt Jap diffs in the GH onward Scorps, along with a different bolt size.

While I would normally point you to Shaun (Scorpion Collector), his recent passing has been a sever blow to all of us in the Sigma-Galant community, and I would ask that his family not be approached at this time for what they would deem a trivial request, especially with what they are going through at the moment.

Regards,
Scott B.

Thanks.
Yes i only heard the news myself a week or two ago when Nathan got back.
So sorry to hear about it , he was a great guy .
ShaunKellySon

Post by ShaunKellySon »

Scott B this is Shaun's son.