4 speed strength?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
psshhhht

4 speed strength?

Post by psshhhht »

Hi Guys,
just wondering what the strength of the 4speeds from the 2.0L is like and if they can be bolted to 2.6L narrow? (or wide for that matter)
I was thinking that if it's as strong as the 5 speed it might not be a bad option if I find one as an interim for my GH.. also as it's meant for racing - hillclimbs/drift/motorkhanas/autorcross - 5th gear is kinda irrelevant anyway, and thought I might be able to save a tiny bit of weight with the 4 speed.

Any thoughts?
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
psshhhht

Re: 4 speed strength?

Post by psshhhht »

bump (sorry to do it guys)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

mate i had a galant 4spd (pretty sure its the same box) behind my old 2.6 nitrous turbo engine.
i never had an issue with it, apart from it topped out @105mph (171ks)

it bolted to the narrow 2.6 no worries. lag was never an issue with it, seeing as the ratios were for a piss weak saturn 1600 :lol:
they are fun behind a 2.6 and would be ideal for the use you want :D
Image Image
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

haha thanks lethal, someone said in my build thread that they were shit and i was better off puttin a 2L auto box behind a 2.6 in the meantime while i source a jap 5 speed.

cheers :)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

Lethal G wrote:mate i had a galant 4spd (pretty sure its the same box) behind my old 2.6 nitrous turbo engine.
i never had an issue with it, apart from it topped out @105mph (171ks)

it bolted to the narrow 2.6 no worries. lag was never an issue with it, seeing as the ratios were for a piss weak saturn 1600 :lol:
they are fun behind a 2.6 and would be ideal for the use you want :D
sweet, now I just have to find one... although at the moment I'm just gathering information, the work on my GH is on hold, as I've got virtually no money and more important expenses at the moment... DOH