Scorpion LSD options

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Taz

Scorpion LSD options

Post by Taz »

Ive recently purchased a scorpion diff for my LC and am just wondering what my options are for an LSD/ratio upgrade will be?
Ive read that l300 4x4 LSD diff centre will be a straight swap, as well as a triton. Is this correct? Are there any aftermarket LSDs that will fit?
As i will be dropping a big power 4g64 in it at some point next year im also thinking about a diff ratio to suit as well. As it will mainly be for track days im thinking a lower ratio to get some more top speed, as the engine and box choices will have more than enough torque to compensate for the diff. How many options do i really have without going custom? (or looking for a needle in a needlestack)
Sorry if this has been covered a million times before, i can only find a few scattered threads on the net and none give a definitive answer.
Cheers
C_Fernance

Re: Scorpion LSD options

Post by C_Fernance »

https://www.importmonster.com.au/view?u ... SD%20A175A

Around $850 delivered. Not cheap, but finding one is the hardest part.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Im hoping either the l300 4x4 or a triton diff will bolt in, as i work in a wrecking yard, and have access to both for next to nothing being staff.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

From memory..... Small Starion LSD's or VR4 work with a bit of work. have a hunt around Gumtree, I saw a Starion LSD there cheap the other day. It may have gone already?????

I had a Detroit locker with custom made side gears in mine. I won't tell you how much that cost to build!!!!!!!!!

Ratio's are available from 3.23 to 4.875 in about 0.2 increments....... 3.91 being the hardest to find. Early 80's express, scorpion, starion & L200 is where you'll find what you need. All of these use the "10 bolt" diff centre.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

The Scorpion diff ratio is 3.33:1
the L300 (non 4x4) is 4.6:1
the Lancer EX has a ratio of 3.9:1 and is LSD and a straight swap.

The 4x4 centre is bigger and will not fit... yes I have one and have tried. also the ratio for them is 4.8:1

that Starion LSD that was on Gumtree is for the later JD model which is bigger (prob interchangeable with the 4x4 one)

Dunno about the Triton

In all honesty, best money spent would be on a R31 type Skyline diff. not much bigger track width than the Scorpion diff, and plentiful or ratios, lsd's, lockers etc...
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Taz

Post by Taz »

dang the 4x4 '86 l300 we have at work is a 10 bolt LSD too.
BUT ive had some thinking time today and i might be going an entirely different route for the FC if my engine bay measurements are big enough...which would call for a massive hilux diff as im pretty sure an F6 typhoon motor would break a scorpion diff as soon as the clutch drops :D
Either way, time will tell - cheers for the heads up though i was thinking about pulling it out tomorrow to have a look - saves that idea
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think you would be very surprised how strong a 10 bolt LSD is.
But for the rarity of LS centres to suit I would agree with GB-BB4C and say go for a R31 Skyline diff. They are a Borg Warner 78 so share centres with XE-BF Fords and VB-VS Commodores (from memory) so there is a heap of aftermarket stuff and a huge range of ratios available. Plus they are 4x114.3 :thumpsup:
Should I ever require another LSD fitted to a Mitsi I will certainly be going for a R31 diff as a starting point.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Are the early sigma diff BW78'S as well.....some of the GH'S use a 3.23 ration just like the falcons of that era?????

If they are BW78's, maybe a centre change isn't as rare as we once thought
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

No such luck, very different and not interchangeable
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hmmmmm....fair enough
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

Why don't you think laterally.>?
there is plenty of blokes that have done turbo conversions on KE 30' and 55's ...including doing the the diff,those things have a track width comparable to ours.
In Brisbane for example there was a corolla owner (last week) who had done the lot , 4AGE turbo /forged , reconditioned W58, adaptor costing 700$ alone gearbox
He had done the diff it was a LSD R31 with better discs heaps more and only wants $6900

You could take the slippery diff for your LC and flog the rest off in parts to the highest bidder .After you make him an offer, this whole exercise may only cost you $3000 or even less.
Its a pity the trans tunnel is so small on a LC or I'd say keep the gearbox for when you need to rebuild yours
cheers

p.s. do a search on gumtree for '1984 toyota corolla'
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

old hilux diff is the go. got one in my GJ. 8mm longer overall length.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'd go down the path of an R31 Skyline and change hubs to your SIgma/Starion/Scorpion setup you have/want
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

I'd go down the path of an R31 Skyline and change hubs to your SIgma/Starion/Scorpion setup you have/want

if you do it would look a bit like this one...

[URL=http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

...thats in a sigma turbo.
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

R31 would be the same stud pattern as the Scorpion.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Ended up going hilux diff as plans have changed to big f**k off turbo 2.6 so picked up a complete diff assembly from work for a few hundy, 4.3 LSD and can handle almost anything i throw at it no worries.
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

Ended up going hilux diff as plans have changed to big f**k off turbo 2.6 so picked up a complete diff assembly from work for a few hundy, 4.3 LSD and can handle almost anything i throw at it no worries.

...could you make me one while you are at it?.