Wide vs Narrow 4g63/4 options

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Taz

Wide vs Narrow 4g63/4 options

Post by Taz »

So ive just purchased a 4g63 FWD motor from work (so narrow). I also have a 4g64 RWD motor (so wideblock). I originally purchased the 63 for the head and chuck it on the rwd block, but since i had to take the whole motor i now have a narrow block too, and was wondering whats the best combo? A few different sites say narrow is better, some say wide is better. Im after the strongest box with the least amount of work to get to fit if possible, as my builder says he can take it up to around 500hp in my budget, and i dont want to be changing hard to find boxes every track day.
Ive been told the triton box is the only box that will fit the 64 RWD block (is that correct?) Ive also heard supra boxes can fit although im not sure to either wide or narrow, but id imagine a turbo box would be enough to not break on me all the time?
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, just want to know whats the best option with availability of 2015 and the likelihood of me finding the right box.
Cheers
75wagon
Admin

Re: Wide vs Narrow 4g63/4 options

Post by 75wagon »

Stealth might be able to help you here.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p117475

Here's some light reading for you.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=102281

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Taz

Post by Taz »

Mmmmk so after reading a few threads linked there it seems the R154 box would be the best on the narrowblock, however i cant even find one let alone what price theyd want, so the other option is the W58 which are still going for around 600+ on ebay atm. Either way, looks like the narrowblock with a supra box will be readily available enough and for the most part handle the power id be putting through it.
Now to bloody find one without selling a kidney...
Cheers 75wagon.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Depends on the car its going in to. R154 are super expensive and won't fit in the tunnel of a lancer/galant without fitting a bigger tunnel to the car.

I'm going down the RX7 turbo gearbox route with my car, as there are a lot of aftermarket close ratio gearsets available for them. I'm currently using a starion box in my Lancer so I know the RX7 box will fit with no issues. Finding a bellhousing might be the issue you have with the RX7 conversion.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Well since ive gotten this other engine i am once again leaning towards the wideblock as the 63 FWD block doesnt have the castings in the block for the RWD mounts, along with a few other potential problems going to RWD. Probably going to be easier to modify or make a bellhousing than fiddle round with everything else. Cant seem to find a supra box anyway, the one person on here who did apparently have one hasnt replied in over a week. Right now i just want a box that will fit the tunnel and gearbox mount/shifter hole.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

The other option is to use a borgwarner 5speed bell housing and adapt a T5 out of a commodore or falcon.

Your going to have to modify the shifter hole slightly to fit most gearboxes regardless.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Well ive spent all day trapsing the net and i think ive stumbled onto something.
Apparently i can use a B2600 G54B box with a starion clutch/flywheel and it should all bolt up. Alternatively i can use a turbo RX7 box instead of the B2600 (but with the B2600 housing still) if i need the shifter moved back 6 inches to give me that option. Since im already probably going to have to move the engine forward with the mounts so i shouldnt have to modify the shifter hole again when i have 2 shifter places to choose from and some legway in the engine mounts. *touchwood*
Work should be able to get me a B2600 box for next to nothing anyway so ill give it a shot and see how it goes.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Or use a t56 buy a bellhousing off the self
Look up bill hinchner
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Why are you moving the engine forward in a race car???????????????

Here's all the info on the gearbox conversion you need........

http://projectzerog.com/rx7transmissions.shtml

I'm running a starion gearbox in my LC and only had to cut 15mm out of the back of the standard shift spot for it to fit correctly. It sounds like your trying to reinvent the wheel when it doesn't need to be.

Stealth that's a good option with 350rwhp, but it sounds like he doesn't wan to cut the floor up........
Taz

Post by Taz »

That's the Page I got all the info off, which says I need the 4g54 b2600 transfer case which I can then use either the gearbox with it or an rx7 box instead, which sits the shifter 6 inches back, thus the possible moving the engine forward to compensate if need be, and if I can even find a reasonable priced rx7 box.
stealth

Post by stealth »

If its a race car mod the tunnel its piss easy , if you need I can do it for you in a weekend
dont forget everything is brakeable when driven hard so build it to suit your driving style
You will struggle to break a t56 , when its so easy to break a w58 I can't see a b2600 box lasting the distance
Taz

Post by Taz »

It has to have road rego. Not only for ease of access to drive to the track but for the class it pus me in. Starting to chop shit will only make it hard if not impossible to mod plate.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Thats why I haven't bothered regoing mine. 3 years of car rego pays for the trailer and if you get booked, fined, etc...... the trailer pays itself off even faster. Much easier to sort out if you break the car at the track as well.

Read that link properly..... The B2600 shifter sits a lot further forward of the RX7 shifter and if you have a look around the Mazda sites you will see how the RX7 shifter is modified to move it forward to fit in an RX2,3,4,5 & early RX7's. I believe even the early RX gearbox extension housings bolt on giving you an even bigger range of shifter positions available. Lots of extra info out about doing all this.
Taz

Post by Taz »

As i said the main reason i need to have it have rego is the class that it puts me in, which is clubsprint in most states. I also do not want a trailer queen, and the decision is final.
I was thinking the opposite and that the b2600 would sit a lot closer to the stock shifter position than the rx7, either way, as ive said im mainly after it for the bellhousing, as i intended to eventually use an rx box anyway.
Ill just have to get it all and dummy fit it in and go from there, no point in speculating what is going to probably fit what when experience teaches me itll probably all be wrong anyway.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

The B2600 box & RX7 box are the same internally except for the gear ratio's. Once you have the B2600 box you won't need an RX7 box unless you want the RX7 ratio's.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I was under the assumption that the rx7 turbo box would be much stronger than a b2600 box?
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Nope, exactly the same except for the gear ratio's.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Taz wrote:It has to have road rego. Not only for ease of access to drive to the track but for the class it pus me in. Starting to chop shit will only make it hard if not impossible to mod plate.
So its not a race car , sorry
Its a club level racer , by the way how you gunna get rego with a roll cage ?
So it wont be legal anyway !!!!!!
Not having a go , but there's no way to register a car with a safe roll cage !
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

You can legally get a 4 point cage behind the drivers seat plated without rear seats, i will just have to unbolt the front bars till i get to the track then bolt them in.
Being a 1979 car it also gets out of a lot of things a modern street car has to have as well, a cat for example.
There is going to be virtually no difference if it was registered or not anyway, the only thing i cant do is extensively chop the chassis, which i wouldnt do anyway, and the cage (which is a few bolts so not really a problem). Everything else just happens to be legal in QLD.
stealth

Post by stealth »

stealth wrote:
Taz wrote:It has to have road rego. Not only for ease of access to drive to the track but for the class it pus me in. Starting to chop shit will only make it hard if not impossible to mod plate.
So its not a race car , sorry
Its a club level racer , by the way how you gunna get rego with a roll cage ?
So it wont be legal anyway !!!!!!
Not having a go , but there's no way to register a car with a safe roll cage !
Cheers stealth
I did say a SAFE cage
No door cross no removable legs !
Something thats saves your life
remember that you got kids on the way
Cheers stealth