Flywheels Narrow v Wide

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
unique10

Flywheels Narrow v Wide

Post by unique10 »

Gday all, i've been doing a bit of looking and i couldn't find my answer. With regards to narrow and wide block, i'm aware of the fact that you need the corresponding bellhousing to engine combo but can you use either flywheel - and hopefully clutch? Just guessing there couldn't be too much difference...and hoping.
cheers.
A112H

Re: Flywheels Narrow v Wide

Post by A112H »

Wide clutch measures 225mm and narrow is 215mm, the bolt and dowel spacing is suited to match.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Input and output shafts are different, so you would need a different clutch.
unique10

Post by unique10 »

Well thats just poo then. So basically even if I buy a conversion kit the only thing that'll be good to me is the box? I was hoping I could get away with just changing the bellhousing.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

unique10 wrote:Well thats just poo then. So basically even if I buy a conversion kit the only thing that'll be good to me is the box? I was hoping I could get away with just changing the bellhousing.
if you were going to change the bellhousing the box would need to be a Borg Warner if so the clutch splines are the same between both narrow and wide
but the jap boxs run a smaller input spline to the wide box

I run the larger input and main shafts from the wide box in a narrow jap housing , that was done as it was easier to get 23 spline 7 1/4" Tilton race clutch plates
I was over the std type pressure plate when one exploded at around 7 grand while down shifting to 3rd and removed most of a bell housing
cheater