suggestions for broken Jap 5spd fix or replacement?

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
mrd
God Admin

suggestions for broken Jap 5spd fix or replacement?

Post by mrd »

This is the current state of my gear selector:

Anyone got a spare Jap 5spd they'd like to sell or aware of anywhere that has spares for them? Do after market gear selectors exist? (lol)

Anyone ever hooked up a celica 5spd to a 4g52? How involved is it? Is it a realistic or sensible option?

Tried welding a patch onto this one, it worked for a day but the weld fell off, the metal we're dealing with is pretty thin and weak... And the Jap box is the strong one I'm told.. Maybe not so strong with gear selectors?
geezer101

Re: suggestions for broken Jap 5spd fix or replacement?

Post by geezer101 »

Whoa, never ever seen the top housing crack apart on a shifter before... more used to seeing the shifter on a Borgie 5 speed fly apart :lol: I think A112H has bought an aftermarket short shifter for the jap 5 speed (a few other members have asked about them too) and they'd be billet.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yep.. eBay a conquest shift kit.. Or even better, I'll link it up for ya :P

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/140986734613
N/A ALL THE WAY
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

75glnt wrote:Yep.. eBay a conquest shift kit.. Or even better, I'll link it up for ya :P

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/140986734613
Ohhh! yeah I was checking out that short throw kit in another post but knowing absolutely nothing about starions I didn't know if it would be suitable. I like the short throw option (which is evident in the first pic lol).
So that will bolt straight on top of my jap 5 spd and replace the selector completely? (going into a scorpion w\ 4g52)

That's the best solution I've heard of all day by a long shot.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Of yours is definitely a jap 5 speed, then yep. Direct bolt on... Unbolt the entire shifter (4 bolt base), and bolt in the shift kit... Done :D

I'm going to use the exact one for mine, also put a mate onto this for his scorp, he loves it! :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Is the stick straight? (looks straight and at right angles in the ebay pic). Only reason I'm concerned is that the scorp stick has a bend, and only just has clearance for my knuckles hitting the stuff I have mounted in the center dash as it is (switches, stereo etc) when I'm in 1st, 3rd or 5th. A 90 degree upright selector would possibly prevent me from using those gears. My scorp is an auto -> manual conversion .. that shouldn't make a difference to the stick placement and I'm probably just being a nervous noob.. but we did need to chop a piece of the floor pan out to allow room so I'm not certain how close to a factory manual spacing it is.

Thanks for the prompt response btw. I love this place. :) Dunno where I'd be without it lol.

EDIT: ok i bought it, your scorp friend is happy with it, if it doesnt fit i'll modify it appropriately.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The cheap fix is just replace the broken part.
I have a stripped shifter here that still has that part in tact.

To change them over all you have to do is punch out the pivot pin.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

If you don't like it/it doesn't fit or whatever, as long as all parts are still the same as when you bought it (unmodified), I will give you what you payed for it, that way, I'll get one... And you won't be at a loss :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Much appreciated Dave! It's my baby though, and I bailed the 100% stock build train long ago, it deserves the good stuff :) (no offence at all, I'm sure that's a very fine stick you have there) :) You know I'd take it if I hadn't clicked 'pay' moments ago :lol: :thumpsup:
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

75glnt wrote:If you don't like it/it doesn't fit or whatever, as long as all parts are still the same as when you bought it (unmodified), I will give you what you payed for it, that way, I'll get one... And you won't be at a loss :)
I'll keep everyone posted lol
shelbygto

Post by shelbygto »

so will this fit on my gearbox ? its bolted to the 1600 :P
1971 GTO 4G32 SATURN DOHC AIII

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha! Again.... :P

If its a jap 5 speed box, then yep :thumpsup:

Doesn't matter what's in front of it, just the box :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Just be careful with this guy's. there are a few different extension housings on the gearboxes and unless yours has the 4 bolt top the short throw shifter will not fit.

this is one of the Short Throw Shifters.. only thing I don't like about them is the lack of dust boot on the ball (shifter in neutral position)

this is a look at the different shifter bolt on plates.. one will accept, the other will not.

**edit** added the last one, there is one more, but it is only a 3 bolt style and is moulded into the extension housing.
Last edited by GB_BB4C on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

shelbygto

Post by shelbygto »

:thumpsup:

mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

ahhh, sweet az! It leans back in neutral. That's all I needed to know, cheers. :thumpsup: I have the right box, no question.

Not the right speedo cable though (I think).. Anyone care to take a pic of the end of their 5 spd jap box speedo cable (the box end) so I can confirm?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Sorry blokes! Didn't know of the 2nd top... Knew of the different length housings, just didn't know that the bolt holes were different..
N/A ALL THE WAY
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

speedo connections...

Gearbox

Cable
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

A112H

Post by A112H »

Are you using that shifter Mick??? I think I may have a home for it :D
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

A112H wrote:Are you using that shifter Mick??? I think I may have a home for it :D
the GK Turbo is getting rego... so unfortunately you miss out. sorry.

shelbygto

Post by shelbygto »

so is it worth doing mick? :think:

A112H

Post by A112H »

GB_BB4C wrote:
A112H wrote:Are you using that shifter Mick??? I think I may have a home for it :D
the GK Turbo is getting rego... so unfortunately you miss out. sorry.
:(
shelbygto wrote:so is it worth doing mick? :think:
He is not my type, but if you are into that sort of thing ??
shelbygto

Post by shelbygto »

yea good on ya

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

shelbygto wrote:so is it worth doing mick? :think:
dunno. not in yet, the pix of the shifter were taken today.

mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Yeah, I'll double check tonight, I reckon the end of my speed cable is a bit different (thinner). Reckon we might have forgotten to change out the auto speed cable to the manual one.
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Haven't had a chance to check speedo cable end yet .. BUT... the shifter arrived today, and there's a problem:
As you can see, I don't have the BW box. I clearly have the 4 bolt setup illustrated above in GB_BB4C's post.
So, what's going on here? I ordered that exact Ebay shifter linked above. Do I have a tiny box? Or did they send the wrong thing? This new stick looks like it would suit GB_BB4C's 3rd gearbox image, where I have the first image.
As you can see, the plate is far too large in every direction, and the plastic joint sits considerably lower than the stock shifter so that even I I modify the plate to fit, the whole thing will need a spacer to sit at the right height.
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

75glnt - got a wide or narrow box? lol

The bolt holes in the 4 bolt plate on this new shifter are 95mm and 60mm apart (measuring to/from center of holes), does that suit your setup?

75wagon - did you say you had a shifter with good parts on it? :D Is that still just lying around?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

the 3rd pic is of a GJ onward box, the same as what a Starion box gear shifter setup is, this is why it wouldn't fit I guess on the short extension housing. didn't even think about them being any different.. just make a spacer plate to make it fit your box.

mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

My speeed cable:
Screws up to the box fine - doesn't turn the cable. Definitely looks different to yours, but then again, I have the narrow box. Still dunno what to make of that. I have a speco speedo which is waiting for me to buy a sensor and figure out the best way to install it into the dash if I can't figure out the cable.
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

GB_BB4C wrote:the 3rd pic is of a GJ onward box, the same as what a Starion box gear shifter setup is, this is why it wouldn't fit I guess on the short extension housing. didn't even think about them being any different.. just make a spacer plate to make it fit your box.
Ahh right - the curse of the oldest models :D I'll visit the local engineer then and see what he can help me butcher up.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Just checked dude, I'm in the same boat as you! Fark!!!! My mate must be running a stazz box... He told me it was a jap 5 speed km132
N/A ALL THE WAY